Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 15:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Pammysue...

it's important for weight loss and general good health to give your body a steady supply of nutrients and calories. It also helps keep your metabolism revved up. So, no...please don't skip meals unless you absolutely can't avoid it. I know how it is to get busy and forget to eat, I've done it myself a time or two, but if you make a habit of it your metabolism and your weight loss will suffer for it. What helps for me is to cook ahead on the weekend and try to keep a supply of cooked meats in the refrigerator that can be quickly grabbed and reheated or eaten cold on the run. Hard boiled eggs are also handy for this purpose as well as cheese cubes. I also went to my local party supply store and bought a pack of small cups with lids (the kind that restaurants serve salad dressing in) so that I can pour some salad dressing in them myself to pack in a lunch with raw veggies for dipping. Very quick and easy!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 23:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 190/190/145 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Jilly:

Thanks for the post. I have printed out the newspaper article and am trying to follow up on some of the references in the article. One of my problems is trying to convince my doctor that a Low Carb diet is a good diet to be on. He is a dedicated physician, and reads the latest articles, and really does keep up with the literature, as best as possible, However, the desk reference for physicians that he uses advocates the usual Low Fat, Low protein, high Carb diet that we all know and do not love ( I sorta take that back. We all love the sugar and the pasta and the donuts, but know that we cannot really eat that stuff without gaining weight and causing some other problems). Anyway, the article points to some newer articles in Science and other mags, which is giving me some additional scientific information useful in convincing my Doctor that a Low Carb life is the way to go.

Thanks for the article.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

PammySue, you asked about skipping meals and whether it has any effect on weight loss. Yes - a negative one! The whole idea is really to manage your insulin levels by never overloading your system with fuel, or letting it dip too low for lack of fuel.Taking the amount of food eaten by one in 3 meals in a normal day, then dividing it into 6 equal mini-meals (with protein at every one) has been proven to reduce weight on non-dieters, get rid of both hypoglycemic and diabetic symptoms, reduce intestinal distress, and in general, have health enhancing effects. This included weight GAIN for the skinny, and weight LOSS for the plump. So I would have to say that you, by emulating starvation conditions in your body, have convinced your body to desperately hang on to every calorie, every ounce, and is nullifying your weight loss efforts. EAT MORE of good proteins, lc veggies and good fats - especially the good fats, and track what happens. And spread them out, not eating in one or 2 large meals per day.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 20:08
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by alpmartin
He is a dedicated physician, and reads the latest articles, and really does keep up with the literature, as best as possible

In that case, he may find this page very helpful:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/newsmenu/researchfor.html

It's a collection of scientific and clinical studies in support of low-carbing.

Wa'il
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default finding new doctors

Nice article and makes me wonder, do any of the doctors ever read any of this stuff?

Since I have to reestablish with all new Dr's.the last one recongized the trend that no fat may not be the cure all it was touted to be. but then he claimed he was for a balanced diet. but didn't establish what balanced meant.

I think" balanced " as Dr Schwarsbein claims, is really low carb diet and she offers using half slice of bread and half bannana etc. while not measuring protein or fat. That is far from balanced in my mind.

I see people having results with many different programs, and yet after reading Schwarzbein, I still don't know where the weight loss is going to come from. I see the scale go down for a couple of days and then back up a few.

Also, I was curious and tested for ketones and sure enough I had a small amount showing indicating by severl drs. that my body was using fat for energy. But the scale just does the same thing every couple of days.

I keep thinking that I eat too much cheese even tho it is allowed on all low carb programs.
What do you guys think, should I cut out the cheese once again?

By the way where can I find the ORIGINAL ww diet that measures and weighs food?
Does anyone know? and also the free food recipes that seemed to go with that program.
I remember losing weight with that program and eating a lot of food. Now I seem to eat less of everything and nothing happens!!

And please, do not tell me I have to eat more and drink more water in order to lose. I can never comprehend those instructions.

thanks again for all the info.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 18:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

Juju, just how much cheese ARE you eating? Dr. A. clamped a lid on cheese on Induction - think it was 4 oz max. A lot of people whose ratios and diet fall in line with the recommendations nevertheless still have to tweak for their own individuality. One of the most tweaked items is cheese, followed by all dairy. Some of us just can't handle large amounts of cream, butter and yogurt (and I just confirmed that I am intolerant to all cow dairy products. Thank goodness I can handle goatmilk dairy stuff. Have a couple quarts yogurt brewing right now.) I'm also allergic to wheat and most grains due to a celiac inheritance. So I pretty well have to stick to the absolute basics. (The funny thing is - I lost the majority of my weight chowing down on tons of cheese, cream cheese, and whipping cream.) Then I stalled big time. 5 months, not once but twice. Fruit is one culprit - a byproduct of living in the Okanagan. I didn't start losing again till the cream and cheese were curtailed. Now I'm stalled again by the scales, but my size is undergoing renovations; so I'm just riding it out. Apparently that's another thing we have to practice - patience.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 03:34
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default AHA !! I knew it!!!

Hello Thinny:
Thank you for the confirmation! Even though I was throwing off ketones and no weight loss, I knew it had to be something I was doing besides not moving around.
My back was seriously hurting, from therapy in my spa. I was encouraged by Little Anne, who goes for swiming exercise every week.
But the exercises must have been too much even though I felt so good in the warm water.
Also I didn't know that Atkins curtailed the cheese intake on induction?
{when I wasn't looking Ha!}
and yes I know I have to find my own system and click on for a long time.and I thank you for the encouragement.