Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

I'm an Atkinser, and don't really know much about TSP~but a little curious.

I just wanted to share a couple things.

My husband decided to join a weight loss challenge this year. He cut out Mtn Dew and Tacos. He's down 25 lbs so far.

I was eating LC LF, so his diet would do NOTHING for me. I always drank Diet and had Chicken soft tacos. My problem was not enough fat. I was always hungry, with awful sugar highs and lows. I've lost 25 lbs. now too, by ADDING FAT and cutting carbs.

My point is this. One thing I remember from my Nutrition class is that "Diet" means the way one eats. Ones 'diet' should be satisfying to them, or feelings of guilt put too much meaning on food.

I had to learn (again) that fat is ok, good, necessary. The addition of fat helps me moderate my intake; I was STARVING on 1500 cals before, and am now full and happy on 8-900. Bacon tastes good--I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

Deprivation is what kills a diet for me. I feel naughty eating the way I do, it gives me such pleasure, that I don't think about foods I can't eat, I look forward to the ones I can.

My DH had nothing short of an addiction to Mtn Dew. He had such feelings of guilt and powerlessness regarding it. Now, the unthinkable has happened: He loves Diet Coke! I thought I'd never see the day.

I think many of us can relate to how you're feeling. That was me on slimfast, just before Atkins. Tired of not knowing what to eat, or obsessing about it. No more. If I want pizza, cool. I just avoid the crust. No problem.

We all have a different way to find our sweet spot. Find yours. In a book, or your own mind. If it works for you, it works!

I feel you though--5000years ago, we were just happy to eat. Obesity wasn't even an issue. I think the key for me is avoiding White flour and sugar, and hydrogenated oils. That's something I can live with. Happily. I'm just using Atkins as the vehicle to get there. Notice how most maintenance diets look similar. There are some principles that make sense. Cancer and Diabetes weren't rampant until Nabisco, Snackwells, and Frito-Lay took over our tastebuds. I avoid boxes, and stick to the outside aisles in the grocery store. Real food. When I'm hungry. Sounds good to me. Just enjoy! That's the kicker. You have to like your plan. Get excited about it. I remember eating much like you are (at my smallest post 2 kids). I remember saying to my DH: you can have whatever you want to eat, you just don't have to eat it all at the same meal or even the same day! I planned my diet sort of weekly. If I craved something on Mon, I may not get to it till Wed. Sometimes a bowl of cereal is good. Sometimes a steak, or strawberries. What's the rush? There is no reason to feel a sense of loss for food, simply by not choosing it THIS meal, ya know? Just knowing that I'd have it tomorrow was often enough--I'd go light in anticipation. You probably know more about food and your body than any diet book writer around. I think that MOST of what MOST of us are dealing w/ are the psychological crap we associate w/ food, not the food itself. It sounds to me like you're in a GREAT place! Take your body back--start that thread, and keep us posted!

Sorry for the book!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: Nondieting/Moderation
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

M1whowaits – too funny! That’s the kind of winter we had this year. I don’t think we’ve had more than 6 inches for the whole season. You know how it is in Chicago….we seem to be getting more snow now that it’s Spring than during the winter months. It all melted off today, and now it’s snowing again!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 23:42
Registered Member

BF:

Oh RhondaK – I just hate hearing about how this is affecting you. I have found that for me the stress of trying to fit into the rules and regulations outweigh any of the benefits of whatever particular plan I am trying to follow. It has proven to be the biggest stress factor in my life for years. Even when my mom passed away, all I could think about was how I was going to stay on my stupid diet during her funeral. I mean, come on Teena!

It just got to the point where I hated meal time. Now this is a time when our family gathers together. We use to laugh and talk and have a great time. I have found that if what I’m most concerned with is what is or is not on the plate and whether or not I’m sticking to “put name of plan here:_______”, contentment and an enjoyable family time just goes right out the window.

I truly wish it wasn’t that way for me. I wish I could look at different plans….decide which one is healthiest for me and my family….and just stick to it. But I find that I simply can not do it…..at least not for any prolonged period of time. I have no choice but to find something – anything – that I can actually stick to, because losing and gaining the same 30 pounds all the way up to 300 now – this is literally killing me. I am now trying to not just look at what I ate for today, but how all of the food will look like at the end of the week. Meaning, in the entire course of the week, not just for one day or even one meal, but for the entire week, have I made the “healthier choice” food choices more often than not? Time will only tell. Since I’ve told myself that all food is free – all food is healthy – because anything is better than this stress – if I find that I wind up running by McDonald’s most days for something quick and easy, cheap and fast, then I’m going to have to re-evaluate what I’m doing. But, somehow, I don’t think that’s what will happen. It didn’t in the past.

Last night I looked around my house to see what I needed to use up. I found that great big pile of sweet potatoes that I had gotten on sale in the basket in the corner of the kitchen. I made a Sweet Potato Bisque topped with full-fat sour cream and thinly sliced green onions. I had some whole-grain crepes that I had made earlier in the month and had stuck in the freezer so I took them and sliced them into wedges, fried them in olive oil, dusted them with sea salt and a little parmesan. I had several bags of salad greens in the fridge, so I rinsed that all off and chopped up some Romaine Lettuce into the bag, made a full-fat sour cream Bleu Cheese dressing. It was one of the best meals I have enjoyed in my own home in probably over a year….stress-free and totally enjoyable!

Now I only ate about a cup of the soup and I probably put about ¼ cup of sour cream on top! LOL! I ate only a few of the chips- maybe 4. Had a smallish salad with all of the dressing that I wanted – very chunky blue cheese, and I had made some Peach Tea earlier and had the smallest amount of that – just sipping in between bites.

Later in the evening, I became quite hungry again and started craving – of all things – cottage cheese. I was lucky to find a small amount left in the fridge, so I finished that off with just a few peach slices on top.

I’m just finding if I cook what I want to eat, make it as healthy as possible without denying whatever it is I seem to need to NOT think of it as a diet or program of any kind, I eat quite well.

I am just amazed that if I choose what I really want out of the choices that I make at each meal, and really just sit and savor it – the flavors and the textures – and eat it s-l-o-w-l-y, I just plain feel great. The slower I eat, the less food I find I need to reach that point of “comfortableness” but not stuffed or full in any way.

Now today, I wouldn’t say that my choices were the best (two ½ sandwiches with a few chips at each meal because it was a very busy day), but I can pretty much see that tomorrow the choices will be better again. Maybe the time between good choices and not-so-good choices will lessen, and like M1whowaits says, the baby steps will lead me to the good health that I seek. The “stress” of being on a plan is what kills me every time.

I hope this helps.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 23:44
Registered Member

BF:

Tazzieone – I think that’s great! It sounds like SP is just what you needed to no longer feel like you're starving all of the time.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 00:11
Registered Member

BF:

Yogamom – apologize to ME for writing a book! NEVER! LOL!

I can’t agree with you more about fats. I use full-fat everything! We go through a quart of cream every week. I find if I don’t eat a lot of fat, I become very depressed and my skin dries out. The depression is the killer, though.

I agree so totally with you about the choice of foods over a period of time. That’s what I hope to see this week. How will my food choices look at the end of the week? Yesterday, the choices I made were great. Today, not what I would call too healthy because way too busy, but the amounts were good and moderate. But tomorrow, as time allows, I’ll be able to spend a little more time in the kitchen and hope to whip up something even better.

Boy, can I identify with your husband. I REALLY like tacos. There are times when I think I’ll never ever hate a taco. LOL! But make me eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner – forget it! I would grow to hate them with a passion.

I am VERY conflicted about an ongoing moderation thread on the SP board. I just don’t think it’s the right thing for me to do. People are coming here for support of a particular plan – a plan that I think is great, just wish I could follow (hope to one day make more “balance” type meals on a more regular basis…I know…baby steps). I wouldn’t want to come to an SP board for support and find someone discussing “moderation.” So, I've really been conflicted about all of this.

Maybe I could just put something under the “challenge” board, but a “moderation” approach to food is certainly not a "challenge" – at least not to me. I really am conflicted about this and don’t know where to go from here because I find the people on this board so warm and friendly and helpful. I’ve never seen anything like it, to tell you the truth, and I've seen alot of message boards in my day. I would hate to lose this, but I also hate the idea of causing problems for some who might come here.

For me, this "moderation" approach is not about just giving up on being healthy and going all out and eating as much as possible. That’s not what I mean at all, and I know that you realize that because you have succeeded at this in the past, too. But this is something that probably needs to be discussed more for a better understanding of how health is achieved by doing this.

To have health, I truly believe I MUST be moderate in ALL things at ALL times - and never give in to the temptation to eat more than I need. Afterall, why should I? I can have more later, if I want it. Like I stressed earlier, the ONLY time I overeat is when I think about going on another dietary regime.

So with this moderation approach, I have no problem waiting until I’m hungry, but I do have a problem putting that last bite down because I’ve gotten that sensation in my stomach that I’m just satisfied and don’t really need anymore. That’s the hard part for me……you mean I still have ¼ of my sandwich left and I’m already “satisfied???” WHAAA! But then, if I can push the plate away and think about how much my chickens will just LOVE these leftovers, I’ll find that I get rather hungry again a few hours later and I can either finish the rest of the meal, or I might want something totally different.....the epiphany is that it will still be here later or tomorrow or next week if I want more. It's these types of issues that I wish I could have support with, but I'm on a low-carb message board. What to do?

I've just begun this again, and this time around, I’ve succeeded at this for two days, and I’m already feeling a lot better (my ankles or no longer swollen in the evening already!). I’ll just have to wait and see how this pans out and would love to be able to have others to discuss this with....just not quite sure what the best way is to do this. For now, I keep this going because I desperately want others to discuss this with and work through these problems with. I seem to really benefit from that kind of support and hope others would too, but I still wonder if that's what I should do.

Maybe I'll just keep it all in the journal area??

Take care, Teena
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 00:31
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry, deleted this post because it was a double....maybe it's getting too late here!
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 00:35
Registered Member

BF:

mab1224 – I would want to join the normaleating website for the same reason – the interaction with others. I wouldn’t blame anyone at all for joining, but that $25 a month is a bit too much for me. Now, are the “moderation” people going to make money off of my confusion and misery?? LOL! It’s their business, but do they really have to charge? I don’t know, maybe they do. If a website has nothing to sell, i.e., in way of supplements, books, etc., then maybe they need to charge? But I saw that they were selling several books on the website. Maybe they just don’t make enough to make it all work. Oh well, that’s their business. Maybe if I get desperate, I’ll join…:O)

I would love the worksheets, but my husband would freak if I told him that I posted our website on a message board. LOL! He works at home and internet security is one particular aspect of his job. We have to be oh, so careful. You wouldn’t believe the anti-virus and other stuff that he has to download every single day to keep his computer “clean” so that he can run the tests that he needs to run for the company that he works for! What a world!

I wonder if you could put the info in the journal area?? Which by the way, we need to do (nod-nod-wink-wink).

If things continue as well as they are going, I’ll try and start a journal by the end of next week….maybe sooner? It depends on how much time I have. The week varies for me because of the nerve damage in my back. Here I sit and it’s after midnight, but I can’t get comfortable in bed just yet, so I’m sitting up and typing….hence my LONG posts. Sorry guys.

Sometimes, I find it hard to sit up, so I’m not on the computer for long. But, I just find that reading these posts to be so enlightening. And answering them and being able to interact with others has made me feel like I have made some new friends – like you :O)

I dread to think what my journal would turn into, because some days all I can do is sit. Boy, those days would have LONG posts. I hope this is not self-absorption that I’m involved in here??? For me, it truly is cathartic.

Bye for now, Teena
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

I think:

Keep this.

Start a journal--w/ an identifier like "me, in moderation" or something like that.

Post your meals on my plan.

I find that my LC journey is a journey to moderation. sort of. Yesterday:

9 pcs bacon
3 strawberries
2 almonds
2 cups coffee/cream
1 porkchop
3 broc florets
2slices swiss
1 pc crispbread w/ boursin
1/4 reeses pudding (homemade)
1/2 diet coke

Wow. I ate like crap yesterday. But it tasted good. The day before was only bacon, steak, brocc/snowpeas, and a caesar salad.

Teena--if it works for you, it works! Don't get hung up on stepping on toes. We're all here, sorting through TONS of stuff. This is the appropriate forum for your journey. It's cool. Don't sweat it.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 09:27

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello, m1, mab, krst, AF, Yogamom, RhondaK,Tazzieone, Picaboo,Cavendish, Teena (my apologies if I left anyone out)--

Collectively you are an amazingly wise group!!! I'm learning a lot, but not losing a lot--1/10th of a pound here, 1/10th there. It's my sleepy metabolism.

Still, I feel that the Schwarzbein Principle is one of the most commonsense ways of eating in print, because I'm not causing any irreparable damage, like killing my metabolism for the longterm while losing in the short term.

Been there, done that. Know what I mean?

Maybe we need a slow burner thread . I'd be case in point Number 1.

Again, you are such a wise group of women. It's great to have that perspective to add to one's own.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

Hi all

Thanks yogamom. I might just do that. Name the journal entry something having to do with moderation. That way those that are interested in this "guinea pig" approach I am taking to sanity can read about it and interact/input. And those that really don't want to see this kind of posting can just ignore it.

I want what is best for everyone here, too, because I just think this is the greatest message board yet to find. Truly. I just wonder if this doesn't hold true...there are what? 6 billion people in the world? Maybe there are just 6 billion "diets?" One for each of us. It's hard not having a quick and ready answer. It's more difficult to have to discern what is best for me at any given moment, but it's also greatly enjoyable and rewarding for it's own reasons.

Yes, Santabarb....that is my GREATEST concen over this issue of "moderation." What IF I am only damaging myself more?

When I look at it though, anything, absolutely anything is better than what I was doing. I've read two of the SP books. What she says makes perfect sense to me, but I had another "epiphany" last night as I was lying in bed wondering why it is that I can't "stick" to anything - especially something that seems to be as vitally important as the "balanced" approach to nutrition that Dr. S emphasizes.

It just comes down to this for me. And I can't say this strongly enough. I have a eating disorder - no less than if I was an anorexic. My eating disorder is compulsive eating and it is ONLY and I stress ONLY triggered by putting myself on a diet/plan/program. Otherwise, it just does not exist. It lies dorment....waiting for me to even think about another diet. And then, BOOM! I'm right back into it for another 2 months, or 2 years, like this last bout.

I can not ignore this anymore. The only way I can conquer this overwhelming desire to eat and eat is to give myself the freedom to eat whatever I want and label it all "healthy." For some reason, that keeps the triggering of this eating disorder under control - completely.

Will I make my metabolism worse in the long run? Oh, how I wish I knew.

One of the people I quoted from my first post was a man who lived in the 16th century by the name of Luigi Cornaro - a man who found himself sick and dying from a diet of "overconsumption" at around the age of 40. He put himself on a strict daily consumption of a very moderate diet.

He died peacefully in his sleep at the age of 102 in 1550 without having incurred a single illness from the point at which he started his diet of moderation. The only time he felt ill from that point on was when he over-ate. He taught that it wasn't what one put in one's mouth, but how much. His health returned in time in full vigor. He ate very abstemiously - yet was active and lived a full life - gardening, grandchildren, writing, sound body and mind, etc. - all the way up to the day that he died in his sleep at the age of 102. His writings are absolutely amazing to me. I found four of his discourses free from the internet. Amazon has some of his writings, and I'm thinking about purchasing some of them.

This has been most eye-opening to me! Am I going to damage myself further? I don't know. Not from the sense that the compulsive eating behavior has now completely disappeared and I feel that I have my life and my sanity back. From the point of not having each and every meal "balanced," then probably not. At the end of a week, it will be interesting for me to examine my diet and see just how "balanced" it was. Stopping the triggers to the eating disorder is what is of utmost importance to me for now. So, I have to just accept this and let myself rest there...and resting, I truly am!

Have a great day all. Teena
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

MODERATION! now there is an idea :-) I used to host a weight loss chat and I was always trying to impress people with the idea of balance, but they always wanted "fast" results (the old I have a wedding in a month and I HAVE to lose 20 lbs or 50 lbs or whatever by then) ick! Balanced eating Balanced exercise Balanced life...healthy US :-)
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 12:59
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

Its really nice to read everyone supporting moderation and accepting that weightloss takes time. Fast results don't last. They say that you have to keep weight off for 3 years to guarentee you won't gain it back, because by then your body has adjusted to your real long term habits, not the 6 week fasts. I just took 3 years to lose 15 lbs instead and I will admit that it took some battling and was frustrating to fight against all the mainstream assumptions that I should be able to lose 5-10 lbs in a few weeks. Think health, not weight loss. Your body will come along for the ride and figure it out too You all are great. Keep it up.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: paleo/caveman/neanderthin
Stats: 275.8/240/120 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Been there ,I know....

For me personally, I know that when I feel like all I do is "think" about food I take a look at my carb intake...part of the "thinking" about food, at least for me anyways, is directly related to too much carb in take....for me it causes cravings...unbelievable, horirible, thought centered, cravings....I just dont do carbs well...but in accepting and understanding this...am better at enjoying my lc wol....I know what I can and cant eat...and for me personally, my low carb intake has to be extremely low.....its the only way to stop the obsessing....this is just a thought.

intersesting, when I am carbing myself to death..I feel just how u have described...mainly because I feel so out of control...and get sick of putting into my mouth the stuff that just feeds those feelings...it really is more than just food..it is an addiction for some of us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teena G.
Hi all!

Do any of you ever wake up just sick and tired of dealing with food?

I'm just so tired of this. Honestly!

I'm 51. I've been trying to "watch" what I eat and to eat a healthier diet for over 35 years. I have NEVER succeeded.

What in the world makes me think that I'm going to "succeed" this time?

I am just so very tired of having the majority of my day consumed with what does and does not go into my mouth.

Something as enjoyable as food - something that God has given us to enjoy and to be thankful for - has become my enemy.

When did this happen?

I am just SO tired of this.

I'm tired of this being the main thought when I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night. I'm tired of it being an issue at every holiday or family gathering (issue to me, not to anyone else, my family loves me).

I just read an article from a doctor who's grandmother lived to be 106. (Not that I'm looking to live one day past when God has ordained my life to end.) But, he talks about how sad it was that this woman who lived to be 106 on a "moderation" type of diet was "unsuccessful" because by the age of 90, she had hip problems.

This doctor pushes a vegetarian diet. I'm certainly not God, but I would have to assume that this doctor (the grandson of the woman who lived to be 106) will never see that age. Yet, to him, she was a "diet" failure because at the age of 90 she began to have health problems!

He talks about how she ate the smallest amounts of food. I can bet you that this woman who lived to be 106 never once spent a day worrying about what did and did not go into her mouth - just like both of my grandmothers who lived to be in their 80's.

I sometimes just have to wonder what I am doing with myself - other than making myself crazy.

I would like to know anyone in their 90's who doesn't have some health issues....our bodies just plain wear out!

I just don't know if I can spend another day like this.....then, maybe, just maybe, this is ALL hormonal!

I desperately need some help here.

Oh, well. I will try to have a better day.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 06:03
Registered Member

BF:

Hi chknwing -

I use to believe this about myself. I spent years on Atkins......lost a lot of weight, but as soon as I tried to add back in the whole grains and the fruit, I started climbing the walls.

Eventually, I gained all of the weight back because I just couldn't spend another day eating mostly small salads with meat. I was afraid of eating carbs and what that would do to me. It was a real roller coaster. I did not feel well on low carb, but I stuck to it no matter what out of fear of carbs.

My hair was falling out......I couldn't sleep anymore than 3 hours a night.....it was a nightmare. But, I believed this was all I could do to lose weight.

I remember the last night on Atkins. My family and I were at a very nice restaurant. I had ordered my usual meal.....a delicious rib eye with some seafood on the side and a nice salad. I took one bite and realized that I couldn't do it anymore.

I pushed my plate aside and just looked at my family and said that I had to find another way. I was trying to do Schwarzbein, but I just got sick of it.

For the last several weeks, I've been eating anything I want but only when hungry and only just to a sense of satisfaction....not stuffed. I eat carbs. I eat protein. I eat sweets. I eat fruit. I drink sweet tea and coke. I eat bread. I eat salads. I eat whatever it is I sense that my body needs just at that moment, but I don't eat or drink much. I keep the house stocked with a wide variety of foods so that I can be successful at choosing just what my body needs at any given moment. Some days, I eat only one small meal, because that is all I seem to need. Other days, I might eat four very small meals. Sometimes I eat a snack with my family before going to bed. Sometimes I don't....I eat only within the parameters of hungry/full....never stuffed.....never if not truly hungry.

I no longer feel that I am at war with my body. I no longer feel that I am at war with myself and food.

I've lost 11 pounds so far doing things this way. I couldn't be happier. I have found a great website....actually 3 or 4 out there that support this non-dieting approach to food and weight loss. There are quite a number of books on the subject of nondieting. One of the best that I have found so far is the Seven Secrets of Slim People.

Interestingly enough, there are several people on this board that actually follow a low-carb diet, but within the parameters of hungry/full and only occasionally eat outside of the parameters of a low-carb lifestyle. It works for them.

This is one link:

http://www.betterwaypress.com/

There is a message board on the right hand side. Very interesting strategies for no longer obsessing about food/diet/weight are discussed on this board. For some, it is low carb.

For me, it has to be listening to my body and eating only what it wants in small amounts. I have blood sugar problems that are even being corrected eating this way. Amazing!

I wish you all the best. It sounds like you have found an answer for yourself. Thanks for your input.

Teena

Last edited by Teena G. : Mon, Apr-17-06 at 07:46.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 19:50

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Teena,
Thanks for giving us these links. Meanwhile I've been scouring the internet too. For me, eating meat and eggs and hardly any carbs or dairy has totally brought my craving and appetite in check. Of course, no wheat either.
Have you heard of the Paleodiet (Dr. Loren Cordain)--it's moderate carbs--it's reasonable. The idea in a nutshell is that our bodies were developed during a time when meat and some vegetable and fruits were available, but not grains or dairy. Some people can handle dairy, like the Masai and others. Many cannot. He is highly scientific.
I'm so glad that you have found peace at last and are already dropping 10 plus lbs!
I will follow up on what you have found. The Italian from 1550 sounds deeply interesting. I love history.