Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 04:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/210/137
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default NO Carbs prescribed?

My son, 12 years old, (5'6" ; 223 lbs) came home from the doctors office with his father about 2 weeks ago and said that the doctor had "prescribed" a "NO Carb" diet. This I didn't understand at all.

Yesterday, I took my son for a followup visit because I wanted to ask about the veggies, fruits, milk....all the things that I have been taught that we need as we are growing. After weighing in and him weighing 3 lbs less.......I'm thinking...Praise the Lord! He's lost some weight and done good!....but that wasn't how the doctor felt. He looked at my son and said...are you serious about this or not? Because if you are...it WILL work, but....you haven't been doing it have you...been cheating huh? That is when we found out that our son had been "cheating" by sneaking off to Jack in the Box and Sonic unbeknownst to us. That 's when our doctor started explaining to me about the LC to no Carb diet and how my son, at his age should have dropped a pound a day during those 2 weeks. That's when I started "listening". So, needless to say, myself, my husband and my son are now on this lifestyle change to eating all the "right" foods instead of the wrong foods.

I have just gotten the new Atkins New Revolution book as well as their cookbook and have barely began to read it, so I am very new to this and don't know all the terminology yet like Kenitosis? Induction? WOE? etc. I am having to relearn how and what to cook.

I am still concerned about whether or not it is safe for our son to be eating only meat and things with NO CARBS in it at his age? Is this SAFE? What about milk and the vitamins from our vegetables and fruit? I'm sure that I will understand a little more as I read the book, but, that will probably take me a while so I'm looking for either some encouragement or reinforcment now that we are doing the right thing for our son, as well as changing our own habits, at least until I have a better understanding of what and why we are doing it.

Sorry about all the questions....I am a newbie to all of this.
Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 148/125/115
BF:
Progress: 70%
Post milk and grains are food for cows

if you really think about it, ask yourself what is cow's milk for? it is meant for baby cows, not humans. that is why so many people have such a hard time digesting it. i have read the approximately 70% of the world's population has some kind of trouble digesting cow's milk. and no wonder, a cow is a ruminant animal (regergitates its food and rechews it and reswallows it) and has a 4 chambered stomach.

that is why cows can eat grains and diegest them and we cannot. i don't think that it is unreasonable for a child not to drink cow's milk. many societies do not drink cow's milk anyway.

also, without milling and long cooking, all grains are inedible to humans. (hey, food for thought )

i do not give my kids milk or milk products, nor do i give them any grains. they have eggs for breakfast every morning. for lunch they have juice, 1 piece of fruit, pork rinds, nuts, and sometimes boiled eggs. i use to fry chicken and pork chops for them, but that was too much for them to eat.

my sons are 5 and 6 and my 5-year-old was rath hyper before we changed his diet. he has calmed down considerably (which has made his teacher and his family very happy )

on saturday nights we do allow them to have a treat (usually candy or ice cream) only because it is too hard to deny them any treats when all of their friends have cookies and the like every day at lunch. thankfully they have been pretty good about the whole thing.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Attkins
Stats: 210/198/165 Female 5'6 1/2''
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Balance

I think the issue of "safe for your son" is really balance. It was an unbalanced way of eating/lifestyle that got him to his need to have a doctor put him on this new Way of Eating. If you will check out page 93 in your Atkins book you will see a pretty interesting diagram. This is what made this all make since to me.

The "induction" which should last a short period of time. (2 weeks or so) should kick your body into ketosis (eating it's own fat). Then when you add carb, do it wisely like some carrots on that salad or some green beans. But watch out not to add too many carbs.

Even when I got off, [In Sept 2001 I lost 25 lbs then because of a series of events could not get back faithful and I had gained back 7 lbs.) I would not eat bread at a meal that I might want desert. And I still did not eat patatoes much especially not with other HIGH carb stuff.

The key is balance. You were unbalanced for a while to get to the point of over weight... so the solution is an unbalanced "NO Carb" time then when you get to the OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) you still really watch those carbs.

We have been lied to for so long that fat causes us to be fat, WRONG carbs cause us to be fat. We have bought the lie, so that we could eat our "no fat" cookies, cake, pie, bread and all so full of carbs that we still gain weight. WAIT! STOP! HELP!

I still don't eat a lot of fat and I cook carbs for my family because they aren't on this WOE. And my husband can't hardly eat red meat, makes him feel bad. I still believes FAT is bad.

Hang in there you will get the grip!
km
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 15:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I would be very leary of a NO carb diet, especially for a growing child. Our bodies do need some carbs to function properly and a no carb diet does not provide you with any fiber as well. Is your son taking a good broad spectrum vitamin to supplement what he's not getting? If not, I'd highly recommend one. As for the milk, you can get your calcium reuirements from other sources besides milk without all the carbs. Cheese and broccoli are two very good sources and are both allowed on a low carb diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/153/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default our dr. wont put my daughter on l/c

i am very interested in how this is working for your son. My thirteen year old daughter begged her dr. to put her on l/c and he said it was the worst thing. said she should eat fruits an veggies and exercise, all of what she has been doing for two years and still gained. she is 160 and is 5'1 she was 4'11 about two months ago. she gets dicouraged with her weight and i am very curious as to your son's progress? The dr. did nothing for her self esteem and this in return has sent her totally binging. I follow atkins so she tries to add some low carb foods in to her meals but says that she knows of no other teens that are low carbing and feels silly but know that it works for the results i have had. I'd love to hear from you
daisy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 00:11

Stats: 228/210/137
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default It works!

Daisy,

It's really working great for my son! He has been on it a little over a month, and yes, we do give him veggies! His first follow-up visit wasn't very encouraging, though. The doctor looked at him and asked whether or not he really wanted to lose weight because he had lost 3 pounds (which I thought was good). The doctor then made the statement that Chris had been cheating because he should have dropped 20 pounds. Chris admitted to sneaking off and eating at fast food joints without our knowledge, so we explained the importance of sticking to it faithfully, and during the next 2 weeks he did so.

I'll never forget the smile on his face and the shocked look he had when the nurse said he had lost 17 pounds!!!! He hasn't stopped grinning yet and it has encouraged him to adhere to the plan even more! Soooooo.....it's working!!!! We could tell he was dropping the pounds by looking at him, but then to actually see and have it confirmed made a world of difference!

He did get a virus that was going around school, and during that time he was having leg cramps. I didn't know if it was from the Atkins or the virus, so I called his doctor who got him right in to see him. He supplemented Chris with some vitamins and minerals, which I do advise to do right from the beginning, since I have read most of the Atkins book now. Chris's doctor also allowed us to take him off of the program for 2 days while he was sick and told us to let him eat anything he wanted to, which we did. He is now back on Atkins and yes, he has to go through breaking the cravings all over again, but since we know the success of it, we are working together to encourage him to get back to it as quickly as possible and be faithful to it. I have found some sugarfree candies that, when he is wanting dessert or sweets, I will allow him one which has 3 gr of carbs in it.

The difference is like night and day concerning the way he acts when he is doing Atkins. He is not as hyper or, believe it or not, smart mouthed! I really believe it is the absence of sugar that affects these areas. Even his teacher has noticed the difference in school on how he is much more focused and not as easily distracted as he was before Atkins.

My son is 12 years old, 5'6" and was weighing 223 lbs. when we took him in and started the plan. Now he weighs 203 lbs, and you can see his confidence and self esteem coming back, even more so when others notice the drop in his weight. He has always been teased because of being so large and loving to eat. Now we let him eat whenever he wants to and as much as he wants to, as long as it is sugar-free and low carb.

My husband and I both are so thankful for a doctor that supports Atkins and believe this is answered prayer. We were so concerned for Chris's health because he would get out of breath easily and there was a history of heart disease and diabetes in the family. But, now, between Atkins and getting him on an exercise program, we are helping him to take preventative measures that will help him as he gets older and lessen the chance of him suffering from these conditions. I recommend that, because your daughter is young, you find a doctor that first, supports the low carb woe, that will monitor her closely through bloodwork and regular office visits. It's worked for us, and I hope it works for ya'll!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/153/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Post sorry it took so long to respond

I am so glad to here that your son is doing so well.I let my doughter read your thread and I think it has really inspired her. I have been waiting for her to come to me with the desicion to start this wol and she has. so we are going to do this together. Tell your son to keep up the good work and I hope things continue to go well for him. Thank you so much for replying to me it helped out alot. good luck
daisy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 00:42

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Easy to get necessary carbs

When I started the Atkins diet I was completely unaware of "hidden carbs" in many foods. Although I was allowed 20g of carbs a day during Induction I soon realised that the only way I could possibly stay within my limit was to think of it as a "NO carbs" stage of the diet and the hidden carbs (minute amounts of carbs in cheese/eggs) would take care of my 20g allowance.

Yes you do need some carbs - we will get what we need by sticking to a high protein diet.
Take care.