Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 148/148/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Anyone else doing SB but not the reduced fat?

I am doing SB phase one but I don't agree with the reduced fat concept. So I am combining SB and Atkins principles. Is anyone else doing this? So mainly I am eating the foods allowed on SB phase one but ignoring the reduced fat component..I will be eating butter, and higher fat dairy and meats. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this. Also increasing my sea salt intake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 10:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudley
I am doing SB phase one but I don't agree with the reduced fat concept. So I am combining SB and Atkins principles. Is anyone else doing this? So mainly I am eating the foods allowed on SB phase one but ignoring the reduced fat component..I will be eating butter, and higher fat dairy and meats. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this. Also increasing my sea salt intake.

Hi,
I kinda do that but need to watch my total intake in calories so when I eat greek yogurt, I do eat the 2% or 0% fat variety. I do use a small amount of butter too.
I use sea salt and lite salts.....but I use very small amounts of them.
At your current weight, total calories will probably be meaningful to your weight loss efforts too.

Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 18:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I was very interested in both the question and Judy's response. The original book had words like "butter" and "bacon", and unless you'd been specifically told by your doctor not to at egg yolks, whole eggs were fine. I don't remember beans being stressed. Now it's all beans and turkey bacon.

I'm still trying to find a plan that works for me -- or that I can stick to -- and have been rereading South Beach books again. Turkey bacon and ground poultry isn't appealing to me, and beans, while good for digestion and potassium levels, are high in carbs. As for salt, I noticed that Atkins is now saying to have two 1/2 tsps of salt or cups of chicken or beef broth a day.

I was just about to relaunch another try at SB, based on the first book when, I saw mudley's post. (I have to say that one of the reasons I've been starting and restarting is that aren't a lot of Beachers around. Isn't that childish?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 21:35
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto
I was very interested in both the question and Judy's response. The original book had words like "butter" and "bacon", and unless you'd been specifically told by your doctor not to at egg yolks, whole eggs were fine. I don't remember beans being stressed. Now it's all beans and turkey bacon.

I'm still trying to find a plan that works for me -- or that I can stick to -- and have been rereading South Beach books again. Turkey bacon and ground poultry isn't appealing to me, and beans, while good for digestion and potassium levels, are high in carbs. As for salt, I noticed that Atkins is now saying to have two 1/2 tsps of salt or cups of chicken or beef broth a day.

I was just about to relaunch another try at SB, based on the first book when, I saw mudley's post. (I have to say that one of the reasons I've been starting and restarting is that aren't a lot of Beachers around. Isn't that childish?

I'm still here and am willing to help and support!
I think that what SB gives us is portion control on calorie dense foods. That's what I've taken away from it. If you prefer real bacon and limit it to 2 slices d ay, why not? Ground poultry doesn't have to be your thing....lean grd beef is good too. I do eat a lot of fish....the fatty ones too like salmon. I happen to like chicken breasts and cook up 2 lbs regularly to keep handy for a fast mean or snack.
As for the beans, they are limited to 2 servings daily...1/3-1/2 cup is a serving. While I don't eat a lot of beans, I do enjoy hummus as one of my favorite snacks with raw veggies as a dip.

Questions? I'm happy to answer!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 07:55

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I know Judy has answered your question but thought I'd weigh in also.

What I like about S\B is making choices that will work with my life style.
I personally use real butter, the salad dressing that I like which usually is full fat ones. But with that said I try and use 1/2 of the serving size. For salad dressing use 1 T, and limit the butter intake also.
This is personal choice for me as I don't like the taste of some things.

Hope you can find your balance.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-11, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 148/148/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Basically what I am doing is a blend of a lot of different low and monitored carb diets. I am following SB phase I right now, without the low-fat component. I am actually eating higher fat than normally (Paleo or Atkins diet), and at the end of the 2 weeks I'll be switching to the Phase II menu, adding in small amounts of fruit and small amounts of whole grain. At the same time, I will be following the guidelines of the Insulin Resistance diet, which is not so much about WHAT you eat as it is about balancing carbs/proteins in a two hour period. I had a lot of success on that diet, but felt I needed to kick start and get completely off carbs with this diet first. So, after another week I will be adding back in some carbs, but I will be linking them with protein and making sure I do not eat more than 15 grams of carbs at a time for a while.

Anyway, that is my plan. More complicated than following one simple plan, but I think this will work for me.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-11, 21:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Judy, you have been wonderful about sticking around and being helpful! Skippie and Mudley, thank you for giving me the courage to tweak You're right. The point isn't following a plan to the letter, but working to find something that works for you. I'm working to adjust to that
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 19:19

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 350/280/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 35%

The last time I did SB, I got incredibly moody. I think it's because I dropped my fat too low. I am restarting tomorrow, and I am going to moderate fat intake, but not go quite as low as suggested. I am not saying this is something everyone should do, but it's my experience with the plan.

I'd go on more of a low carb/high fat plan, but we're trying to save money. Normally, I buy organic/free range/higher welfare meat, but we've not been able to swing it. Rather than buy stuff I'd feel bad about eating, I have been eating mostly pescatarian for a while (and that's where I've been. Eating slightly carbier pescatarian/vegetarian stuff). Since I avoid soy most of the time, most of the other vegetarian based LC plans are out of the question for me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 13:25
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
The last time I did SB, I got incredibly moody. I think it's because I dropped my fat too low. I am restarting tomorrow, and I am going to moderate fat intake, but not go quite as low as suggested. I am not saying this is something everyone should do, but it's my experience with the plan.

I'd go on more of a low carb/high fat plan, but we're trying to save money. Normally, I buy organic/free range/higher welfare meat, but we've not been able to swing it. Rather than buy stuff I'd feel bad about eating, I have been eating mostly pescatarian for a while (and that's where I've been. Eating slightly carbier pescatarian/vegetarian stuff). Since I avoid soy most of the time, most of the other vegetarian based LC plans are out of the question for me.

I like your decision!
Can I help you in any way with this adaption?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-11, 06:25

Nope. Other than accidentally buying the wrong peanut butter (PB here generally doesn't have sugar in it, but I picked up a tub of Skippy at Costco forgetting that most American PB has sugar in it), it's been going okay. Another modification I am making is that I am going to be eating the lower carb Quorn products (such as the deli slices and mince). I can't eat too much soy because of a history of breast cancer in my family (including my sister). I am not sure if it would be included or not in the SB plan if Quorn was more popular in the States. It's a good source of protein, low in fat, and I like it. It's not carb free, and I think even the lowest carb ones have small amounts of things like barley or pea fibre in them, but I want to have another option for protein.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-11, 09:37
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
Nope. Other than accidentally buying the wrong peanut butter (PB here generally doesn't have sugar in it, but I picked up a tub of Skippy at Costco forgetting that most American PB has sugar in it), it's been going okay. Another modification I am making is that I am going to be eating the lower carb Quorn products (such as the deli slices and mince). I can't eat too much soy because of a history of breast cancer in my family (including my sister). I am not sure if it would be included or not in the SB plan if Quorn was more popular in the States. It's a good source of protein, low in fat, and I like it. It's not carb free, and I think even the lowest carb ones have small amounts of things like barley or pea fibre in them, but I want to have another option for protein.

OK! I wish you great success!

With the grain ingredients in quorn, will you count it as a phase II starch in additon to protein?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 13:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I am thinking of making a change from Atkins to SB.

I have been binging lately & efforts to rein myself in are not going well. I also had horrible cholesterol measurements last month at doctor.

#13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 14:59
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarren
I am thinking of making a change from Atkins to SB.

I have been binging lately & efforts to rein myself in are not going well. I also had horrible cholesterol measurements last month at doctor.

HI,
If you want to switch, you can find the officla SBD food lists and meal plan guides for phase I in our weigh in thread, 2nd post.
I highly recommend any who switch over to SBD, to start with SBD phase I.

Good Luck!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile

Thanks judynyc!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 18:44

There's really not enough starch in the lower carb ones to count it IMO. You're looking at trace at best in some products. Others definitely have more. For the lower carb ones, it's like 1-8 grams of carbohydrate per serving, with some of the higher ones having other vegetables (like onion) pumping up the carb count. Less than if I relied more on beans and fewer bean side effects. If I were to eat the ones with more grain or a coating (which I wouldn't normally), I'd count it.