Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 06:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/180 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:
Default Stew

I'm just starting my low carb journey, I am currently 270lbs and my target is to reach 170-180, and keep it there! I've been spending hours reading all the inspirational success stories on this forum and I seem to have a lot in common with most of them when they were starting, yo-yo dieting etc. But there's only so much dry meat and boiled veggies you can take! grilled or fried steak, and chicken heated up in the oven is great.......but even that will get boring after a while, I'm clueless in the kitchen, and my experience of a main meal was a ready meal from the microwave, or phoning Dominos for a pizza. What I can make is a stew with diced beef, mushrooms, onions and peppers, made with one of those Coleman's type casserole sachets mixed with water - but after learning pre-made casserole sauces and gravy granules are packed with carbs and are strictly a no no, so the question is what I can replace them with? and still keep under 20 carbs a day, an Atkins friendly stew or gravy............keep in mind up until now kitchens are completely foreign to me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 07:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome

Have you found the Recipe Forum? the contents of Main Dishes is an index hyperlinked to the recipe. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39. Many stews there, but think along the lines adding some beef broth and your favorite spices.
Do you like spicy? I do a pork or beef roast, add a jar of green salsa, slowcook all day...bam, fajitas put over lettuce, add sour cream.

You might also check the Quick Meal forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40 I made a lot of skillet pizzas on either beef or sausage base.
And DietDoctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

You can always buy a rotisserie chicken and call it a day. Scramble eggs and bacon. And though I don't think this is a great idea, Dr Westman has some young men as clients who get triple cheeseburgers at a fast food and chuck the bun. Many ways Atkins can be made simple!

All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 07:23

And can't believe I found this 2012 post, Meals for Busy Young Professionals, Freckles and others had many great ideas.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=442080
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 08:29

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I'll take a look
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 08:42

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hey KRH! Welcome. We're at nearly the same place right now weight wise and goal wise and it would be cool to have someone like you to go on this journey with. Is 1961 your birth year? Mine is 1960. I'm trying to combat type II diabetes as well as trying to get healthy and I'm having great success so far with easy to make meals. My main thread is here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478021

For the first week of induction, eggs were my best friend and BACON! YUM! Eggs are easy. Steaks of all sorts are easy, (beef, pork, chicken, fish). Just don't eat more than 20 grams of carbs per day. Count your carbs carefully. I have lost 24 pounds so far in just three weeks. You can just google:

beef steak nutrition facts

Or what ever it is and it will list the carbs making carb counting easy.

I love Salmon and got a frozen bag full of Salmon steaks from Walmart, wild caught, for under $10 and I just put those in my toaster oven at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. I ate them with a little tartar sauce.

If you can get through the first week, it gets easier and easier as time goes on. For me, it was like breaking an addiction - I even went through withdrawal symptoms, (Atkins Flu).

My thread above has what has become a typical day for me as well as a few easy things to make.

A Not Bad Mashed Potato Substitute:

If you can get a medium sized stove top steamer you can steam cauliflower heads, (I cut out the bottom center with all the leaves) and cook it on a low boil for about 30 minutes it gets really soft. Then you take a potato masher while its still hot and mash it all up, add half a block of cream cheese, half a bag of shredded Monterey Jack or some other cheese and mix it all up real good. The left overs keep in the fridge.

Eggplant Pizza is easy and is better than I thought it would be. I basically use this recipe but I cook the slices of eggplant a little longer and flip the half way through and let them get a little crispy. Then I add regular pizza sauce, (just watch the carbs), and Mozzarella cheese and pepperoni on top and back in the oven until the pepperoni's start to curl up.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/230249...eggplant-pizza/

I also love Mexican food, here's an easy recipe for low carb Chli Relleno:

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/rec...p?recipe=395960

Just google for quick easy low carb recipes and stick to a plan that is 20 carbs or less per day and NO CHEATING! Good Luck!

Bill
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 12:55

BF:
Progress:

Its day one for me tomorrow, I've just been sorting stuff out the last few days, I'll be looking at simple recipes tonight that even I can manage.

ps. I'm British..........I wouldn't know what an eggplant was if somebody hit me on the head with one
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 15:22
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

lol I live on cold chicken and hard or soft-boiled eggs. Boring is good -- you will eat less
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 17:18

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

wyomingdiva just shared this recipe with me.
I am going to use our left over steak, burger, Hot Italian sausage and bacon in this for the meat.
If you do not have a crock pot but I would suggest picking one up....you can pick them up pretty cheap at the thrift stores is money is tight.
Cooking is quite simple when you just put everyting in the crock pot and walk away
But you could do this on the cook top as well if that is what you prefer.

All Meat Chili by Dana Carpender
2 lbs ground beef;
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed;
14.5 oz can tomatoes with green chilies
4 oz can plain tomato sauc;
4 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder;
1 teaspoon paprika;
Brown and crumble the beef in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
Pour off the grease, and add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, cocoa, and paprika.
Stir to combine. Turn the burner to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 15-20 minutes, or until the chili thickens a bit. Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, and chopped raw onion, etc.
Yield: 6 servings, each with 7 grams carbs and 2 grams fiber, for 5 net carbs, and 27 grams protein.

Also check out the recipe section or Pintrest for Low Carb recipes.
There are many that you can do once a week ....making it quite simple and easy.
Hang in there....it will get easier the more that you learn.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh1961
Its day one for me tomorrow, I've just been sorting stuff out the last few days, I'll be looking at simple recipes tonight that even I can manage.

ps. I'm British..........I wouldn't know what an eggplant was if somebody hit me on the head with one

Aubergine! LCers also use zucchini, or courgette, often.

Here is some other veg names...http://www.rootsngreens.net/2013/05...d-american.html

If your enjoy the Reddit format ( I don't) their Keto page has this list of simple mealshttps://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comme...me_what_to_eat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-28-17 at 18:09.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 18:25

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniesoda
Yield: 6 servings, each with 7 grams carbs and 2 grams fiber, for 5 net carbs, and 27 grams protein.

Sounds like a great recipe, I'm gona add it to my list of things to try.

I'm trying to understand the difference between "carbs" and "net carbs".

I found this:

"For low-carb dieters, fiber carbs don't really count as carbs. For example, a 1-cup serving of cooked broccoli provides 11.2 grams of total carbohydrate and 5.1 grams of fiber for a net carb contribution of 6.1 grams."

Sounds like cheating.. for example my flax meal has nearly equal amounts of carbs and fiber, dies that mean it counts as nothing and I can eat all I want?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 19:49

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill

Sounds like cheating.. for example my flax meal has nearly equal amounts of carbs and fiber, dies that mean it counts as nothing and I can eat all I want?

It all depends in how your body metabolizes fiber (or does not). For some it passes right through. For others, energy is derived from it (though not at the same rate as pure sugar or starch). Fiber can be very satisfying. It may be worth experimenting to see if you can indeed increase fiber and not hinder progress.

One thing is certain: 20 net grams + the fiber in that food is going to be more overall carbs than 20 carbs that include fiber.

Whether you want to count net carbs or total carbs is a personal preference. Net carbs = Total carbs less fiber. Some deduct sugar alcohols as well, but that is a slippery slope, and for diabetics, NOT a good idea.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 05:29

BF:
Progress:

Being in the UK seems to be a bit easier on the carb counting, on pre-packed food the nutritional info already does the maths for you.....where it says carbohydrates, the number they give you is the total number of 'net' carbs, fibre etc has already been deducted for you
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 16:49

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Sounds like a great recipe, I'm gona add it to my list of things to try.

I'm trying to understand the difference between "carbs" and "net carbs".

I found this:

"For low-carb dieters, fiber carbs don't really count as carbs. For example, a 1-cup serving of cooked broccoli provides 11.2 grams of total carbohydrate and 5.1 grams of fiber for a net carb contribution of 6.1 grams."

I guess it is only cheating depending on what approach you have to eating.
This recipe works great for me but probably not for some others.
To each there own as they say.
Some have to be really carb conscience and others do not.
For me personally this is a good way to use left over meat and eat something very tasty that won't hurt MY body in regards to weight loss.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-17, 20:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Xanthian gum? It's a low-carb thickener, but I never had any luck with it making cheese sauce or gravy as opposed to flour or cornstarch. You have to hold your mouth right.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-x...-gum-p2-1000974
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 10:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow... I'm a firehose of food ideas, hold out your teacup.

Where to start? Lately I'm into fish, salmon mostly. I coat it in mustard garlic aioli from Trader Joe's, sprinkle with dried parsley, bake at 400 for about 12 minutes. It is really good cold on a salad. It is similar to Nordstrom Cafe's Salmon Nicoise salad.

I have an amazing chicken recipe with garlic, roasted tomatoes, marjoram, EVOO... so yummy.

Salads using bagged mixes, adding pecan bits for a little crunch, olives, some form of meat.

Boiled veggies? Who does that?!?!

Get a spaghetti squash and a mallet and a big knife. Whack the knife carefully through the squash. Clean out the seeds. Bake at 400-425 until soft. You can treat it like spaghetti, or you can just eat it with butter and salt (my favorite).

Buy an "Instant Pot" and make stews. Lately I've been making stews with cut-up chicken breast or thighs, Berbere spice (spicy!), cut up veggies (I usually buy them precut at Trader Joe's). Then, when it is done I add a dollop of peanut butter (the kind that is just peanuts and salt) to each bowl. So delicious!

Poached a whole chicken and pick the meat off the bones and use for salads or soups.

Wow... so much food, so little time.

I don't use gums either. I've thickened stews with egg yolks, there's a technique to that. Or I puree some veggies. Or I just cook down the liquid.

Net carbs cheating? I don't think so. The notion is that fiber goes through without being digested or metabolized. I suppose our bowl bacteria do digest it somewhat.