Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 09:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: :(/:)/145 Female 5 feet 4
BF:
Progress:

Hmm did you get lost Anu ? lol well i have lost a total of 41 pounds just got back from the DR .... so im pleased with that , only prob is i have no iron at all ??? so strange ,so lets hope this newest blood work will turn out in the right direction ! I'm pleased with the weight loss and have con't to walk when i can and how are you doing Anu? are you over the flu? back on induction ? well hope all is well and take care of yourself greetings from Canada .... bye bye
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 22:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Patricia,
Hey, didn't I post something sometime back? Must be getting really forgetful in my old age! Actually, you said you were on holiday so I thought i'd leave you alone to enjoy your family/friends and the R&R.
WOOOOOOOOOW! 41 pounds!!!! I'm really really impressed! Keep up the good work. I dont suppose you have far to go now, do you? I'm sure you'll get there and whats more important STAY there.
I'm sorry to hear about the low iron. Okra and spinach are supposed to be good in that aspect. Maybe you could load up on these veggies and improve the iron profile? Dr. A's book says something about taking iron supplements that interferes with weight loss, so perhaps adding iron through veggies may help??
As for me, I'm back on induction but my weight fluctuates within 2-3 kilos only. I'm not giving up though. This way of eating suits me fine. But now people have begun to comment ......Anu, how did you manage to loose so much weight/ hey you're looking thinner, and so on in the same vein. It feel GOOOD, I tell you!
More later, bye now and take care
Anu
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 06:23

BF:
Progress:

Hi ya Anu, well 2 to 3 kilo's is awesome ! I seem to be stuck again lol, but thats ok Im also on iron pills so maybe that will intefere some ??I also ate some liver yesterday beyond horrible! YUCK i doubt i will eat that ever again YIKES, how are you doing on induction this time ? Im doing ok , feel good and i would love to lose 9 more kilo's , I will take it one day at a time, I feel great and finally after 4.5 months my coworkers are also commenting, it sure took a long time lolol but it feels great eh Anu? well i hope your having a great weekend, and take care of yourself ..... bye from patricia
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 22:43
Registered Member

BF:

Way to go Patricia! 9 kilos aint that much and I'm sure you'll get there soon enough, though I do agree that liver is YUCK. . maybe if you cook it with onions and garlic and tomatoes, it may'nt be that bad...not to mention that garlic would do your heart a world of good (if not your breath!)

My induction is not doing so well..I'm feeling hungry, eating all the allowed stuff but not loosing any. I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. My total veg intake in a day is one cucumber (half for brekker and half for lunch), quarter of a capsicum, and about a cup and a half of mixed veggies at night (no potatoes, carrots, peas). That shouldn't add up to more than 20 net carbs a day. I'm having the required cheese, though I'm substituting the meat by fish/chicken. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, I'm not doing any exercise, maybe that's the key. I'm waiting for the monsoon to get over (another 15 days or so) then I'll start walking (and my weight had better start walking too!
Anyway, BFN and good luck to you.
Take care,
Anu
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Sep-19-04, 22:59
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Patricia,
Where did you vanish? I hope things are OK with you...not ill or anything?
This is such a great site i feel guilty using it for messages mostly between the two of us.
Forum founders/moderators....is this OK?
Bye and hope to hear from you soon
Anu
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 15:03

BF:
Progress:

Hello Anu I went to visit my mom in PEI < and stayed of the internet there lol IM fine, do have a few health probs though AGAIN!! Dr wants me on liptor?? my Cholesterol is way out of wack and since i have family history of heart/stroke the dr thinks its best i start on this drug asap ? so IM very worried about that !! Arghhhh i have cut out cream, egg yolks and whipping cream for now also , my thyroid pills were also reduced !i can guess since i lost close to 20kilos that would do it, and Im on 2 iron pills a day , YIKES eh ? wow so much to one girl trying to lose weight lolol I dont believe any of this is due to my atkins way of eating , i feel better, starting to look better and over all have better energy so thats my story Anu lolol I will make sure i visit the DR alot and see whats going on with me !!!so enough of me, whats going on with you ? did you stay on induction? lost more? How you been ? please let me know whats been going on with you ? well take care Anu , have a great day ! greetings from canada... Patricia
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 00:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Patricia,
Great to hear from you again, but this is not so good news about your lipid profile. Dr A's book has some suggestions about the type of cholesterol lowering pills to take. He also says that a couple of tsps of fiber such as Physillium husk at night helps with the cholesterol numbers, not to mention about help with loo! perhaps you could give that a try. I really hope your numbers return to normal soon. Best of luck.
Yes, this time I was very strict on re-induction. I also found that I was unconsiously cutting down on fats earlier on, so I deliberately added more butter (mmm!). Since Monday, I've lost 1.5 kgs and hopefully by sat (tomorrow) that should be a round 2! I'm very thrilled.
I'll be away to see my mum, who's in hospital in another city, for the next few days. She's got all sorts of health problems....diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems...the works. Maybe I'm trying to stop the clock ticking for me and that's why I've climbed on the Atkins band wagon. Things will be pretty disorganised for the next few days, so I'll see where I am-weightwise- after I return.
Anyway, this is a long road and I guess we have to learn that there may be a few bumps and pot holes along the way. As long as we learn from the hiccups, that's what matters.

I just re-read my post and find that I'm sounding very sombre. Sorry for that....
Bye and take care and keep me posted
Anu
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 00:54

Stats: 305/303/100 Male 69"
BF:
Progress:
Default Just started 9/21/04 myself

Hey I don't even know how to use this thing, so I guess I'll learn . I think I'll do more listening at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu
Hi everyone. I joined this forum today hoping to interact with others who have been on the atkins and found success.
I have an underactive thyroid and have been on medication for the last 8-9 yrs. My weight goes up and down (down with a great deal of exercise) Is there anyone else with hypothyroidism out there who has found success with Atkins? I'd love to hear from them.
bye
Anu
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 02:06

Stats: 305/303/100 Male 69"
BF:
Progress:

Hi, I just started the Atkins diet on 9/21/04, I can't believe it took me so long to start a diet and have it in my mind that I know I'm going to see it through if it's the last thing I do. I've got a 100 lbs to loose. That will make me right at 200Lbs, wow! that's a lot. I'm 5'10 and I feel like I weigh about 500Lbs. Can't bend over to even tie my shoes without coming up for some air. Oh well it will all leave me and I am glad. The diet will work because i'm going to stick very strict on it. It's do or die for me here. I could still use the support though and I hope that I can be of some help to you guys. Talk to ya later.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 05:12

BF:
Progress:

Morning Anu, so sorry about your mom,I can relate my dear. my mom has all the same problems , shes bed ridden now after a stroke , I think that was a wake up call for me also, how old is your mom anu? I hate going to the hospital to visit , can't stand to see someone in pain its so diffcult to keep your spirts up , my mom still has her spirt wich is a good thing, but i try to go home one day a week to visit with her (diffcult cause shes in PEI and Im in NB ) but i always try I hope your visit goes well Anu , stay strong, congrad's on your weightloss this week ! thats awesome!! i went to nova scotia the past 2 days for meetings and what was there to eat?? all pasta ? soups and sandwiches!! Arghhhhhhhhhh food was awful, so each nite after the meetings i went for steak and salad, and veggies! weighed in this morning (Im home sick with the flu now) and i never lost or gained lol Yahoooo ! so Im sitting at a loss of 20 kilos ???IM pleased, I see the dr again in a few week about my cholesterol and thryoid , well Take Care Anu , my thoughts are with you and your mom and i hope all goes well!! bye for now from your friend in canada patricia
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 05:17

BF:
Progress:

Rick a big welcome to you , congrad's on starting atkins, i did the same 5mths ago, i have lost 20 kilos , Im pleased and feeling better , more energy and have started to feel alive again !Its such a new way of life for me , before it was all junk food and laying around the house lol now I enjoy my food , eat more and feel so much better , feel ALIVE !!!Im never hungry and eat many small snacks , meals during the day , so i wish you lots of success Rick, and welcome aboard ! bye bye
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 05:28
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Rick and a very hearty welcome to the forum. Congrats on deciding to take charge of your weight and your life. I'm sure you'll do fabulously on Atkins. For encouragement and support you've come to the right place...this is a great site. If you peek around the other postings you'll find many of your doubts cleared away and questions answered.
Wish you all the best and do keep writing in.
Anu
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 05:54
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

Hi Patricia,
No, she's not good at-all. I saw mom after a month and a half and I was quite shocked by her appearance. She's aged 10 years in this time (she's almost 72), put on a enormous amount of weight due to all the insulin injections she's been taking and the worst thing is her kidneys are on the verge of packing up. She has triple arterial blockage and of course the diabetes is rampant. it's like a vicous cycle......one disease feeds off the other.
Food-wise she cant eat fats because of her heart, no protein because of the kidneys and of course no carbs due to diabetes. What does a person eat? I'm really afraid for her...I dont see any hope of this improving. But her spirit is amazing....if you ask her she'll always say "I'M FINE!!!!!!"
I's really strange how your ma and mine are so similar....how old is your mother? Patricia....you and I have all the genes that will land us in similar trouble if we dont take care. Sorry to be an alarmist, but better safe than sorry.
Bye now and all the best to your mom and you. Take care.
Anu
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 05:14

BF:
Progress:

Morning Anu, Im just on my way to PEI to see visit my Mother for one night, she will be 77 this NOV and in soooo much pain, she to has her spirts (how i never know)the pain is unbearable,and yes i agree with you over setting a alarm off, i have a lot of sickness in my family , my father passed from a heart attack 15yrs ago , so this is also one choice i made for me... to take care of me... hey i have enough problems with no iron and high cholesterol, and a wacky thryoid lol i also have no kiddies , so if i get sick Im sure i would be left wherever to stare out the window lololol hey maybe this is why we met here to vent to one another over everything well we sure can relate Anu over our Mom's, So how are you doing ? are your spirts ok ? what about the weight loss? still on induction or ? Im the same weight no gain either though lol wooo hoooo my sister will cook a large Turkey today (thanksgiving) next weekend here in canada , so i will pig out but not on the bad stuff maybe? lol well Im of to pei , so my thoughts are with you Anu, I hope all is well and we talk soon ! greetings from canada to you from Patricia
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 12:44

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Hi

Hope all gets better for you and your family. My Dad has been sick for the last couple of years and it has been terrible to watch.