Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 12:33

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 191/182.5/150 Female 5`6"
BF:????
Progress: 21%
Default Is this HIIT?

I'm pretty new to the idea of HIIT and looked up a bit of info about it. Just wondering if I'm doing it right?!?!

Today, for example I worked out for a total of 30 mins.
5 mins of warm up and cool down at 4 mph and then intervals of 90 secs at 5 mph and 30 secs at 6.5 mph.

Do I need to up the 6.5 mph or go lower then 5 mph for my downtime? I could probably get up to 7 mph at this point in time. I've always been one to think that I NEED to get in a good 45-60 min cardio workout to get benefits but even in the past I've stalled out because it's just impossible to keep up a good intensity for that long. I'd much rather workout harder but in less time. Right now I'm not doing much strength training, but I'd like to supplement the HIIT with yoga.

Just looking to see what kind of success anybody has had out there with HIIT and to see if I'm even on the right track with it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 16:35

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

To be really HIIT, you need to go all out, then rest. I like to go to a football field and SPRINT from end zone to end zone, stroll the width of the end zone, then SPRINT back. You're basically making a rectangular circuit of the field. That kind of exertion is what you're looking for, as hard as you can for 20 seconds or so, then rest for equivalent time, repeat until thin.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 16:42

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Your first reaction might be, “How effective can this protocol be with just 4 minutes of exercise?”

Let me answer this question for you… VERY EFFECTIVE!

You will be amazed at how intense 4 minutes of exercise will feel. These intervals will tax both the aerobic and anaerobic energy systems. Tabata Intervals are excellent for those athletes who participate in high intensity sports such as boxing, MMA, or wrestling.

This form of training is also effective for fat loss. Tabata Intervals will raise your body’s metabolic rate long after the exercise session is completed. You will continue to burn fat throughout the day. Many recent studies have confirmed that the powerful "after-effect" of interval training is much more effective (for fat loss) than low-intensity, continuous exercise

http://workout-routines.blogspot.co...ht-workout.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-09, 16:14

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

You are working out to long..which means your intervals are not intense enough..you should work up to 15 minutes TOPS.

Here is an old EAS HIIT protocol for sprints.

http://musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 07:38

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 191/182.5/150 Female 5`6"
BF:????
Progress: 21%

Thanks guys!
I'm going to try to adjust my intervals to get a little more intensity out of it. We just got more snow here last night so the track/football field idea is out for now, but there is one a few blocks from the house so once Spring is here that would be a good opportunity to take advantage of. I think I'll keep experimenting with my treadmill for now. I do know I'm feeling it a little bit more with the higher intensity then my previous workouts.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-09, 01:48

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 906%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirss28
I'm pretty new to the idea of HIIT and looked up a bit of info about it. Just wondering if I'm doing it right?!?!

Today, for example I worked out for a total of 30 mins.
5 mins of warm up and cool down at 4 mph and then intervals of 90 secs at 5 mph and 30 secs at 6.5 mph.

Do I need to up the 6.5 mph or go lower then 5 mph for my downtime? I could probably get up to 7 mph at this point in time. I've always been one to think that I NEED to get in a good 45-60 min cardio workout to get benefits but even in the past I've stalled out because it's just impossible to keep up a good intensity for that long. I'd much rather workout harder but in less time. Right now I'm not doing much strength training, but I'd like to supplement the HIIT with yoga.

Just looking to see what kind of success anybody has had out there with HIIT and to see if I'm even on the right track with it.

This article is really great and it covers HIIT!