Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 04:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default not need to lose weight, but need to lose cholesterol level

Hi Everyone, I do not know if I am posting in the right place but, I have question for the group.

My cousin just go back for the doctor and she has the worst news about her colesterol, it is 275 and she NEEDS to get it down, here are her stats she is 49 yrs old, she weighs 115 lbs and she is 5'7.. so as we can all see she dose not need to lose not even an oz. of weight.

I told her she needs to start LC'ing and she would like to anything possible to get the cholestrol down, she is the only member of her family left, they all died from heart attacks..

Here is the clincher she got the book and started to read it, she just wants to know how to do the diet the right way.. for non weight loss, how many carbs dose she need to stay at and can she start the mantainance program to start>> dose she have to start the intoduction first?

I really appreciate ANYONES help,

thanks
vivian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 06:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Vivian!

Your cousin does not need to start with induction if she does not need to lose weight. She can start at pre-maintainace or maintainance levels. The level of carbs needed for maintainance varies from person to person, but most find that their level for maintainance is between 60 and 100 grams of carb per day and use lots of olive oil. Since her cholesterol is high and she's concerned about it, your cousin might also want to consider some supplements such as fish oil, no-flush Niacin, garlic oil or red yeast rice (check the supplements thread). She should also pay more attention to the individual numbers (HDL, LDL and Tryglycerides) than the total number. The total number doesn't really tell you what your cardiac risk, if any, really is. She should also not eat anything with hydrogenated or trans-fats in it. HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 07:06

Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi Lisa, thanks for taking the time to post for me, I will relay the msg. to her and I should of given all the numbers, not good all around.

thanks so much
vivian
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 07:42

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Montignac

I was reading a book by a cardiologist the other day. He did a study on the Montignac method and the study showed that it had a dramatic positive impact on cholesterol levels.

The Montignac method is another one of the low carbs systems floating around, but the advantage is that it's easy to follow and doesn't require that you count carbs or anything else. Just a few simple rules to follow.

His book is called : Eat yourself Slim by Michel Montignac.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 21:02

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Vivian,

All I know is that after 2 months of Atkins, my cholesterol went from 198 to 153....LDL 95 to 88...hdl stayed the same...and my triglycerides went from 236 to 91!....and they're finding that the triglycerides might be more of an indicator of heart disease.....Even though I'm stalled right now...who cares, (well, I do.. ).....weightloss isn't the only good part of the diet. She certainly doesn't need to do induction.....Just cut the carbs and up the protein and fats.......... I wish your cousin well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg american_flag_posterized_labor_day.jpg (25.7 KB, 40 views)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 14:27

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Angeline

It's really scary when you consider the diet advice still given to people.

I was talking to my friend the other day. He told me that his mother was doing Atkins when her husband was told by his doctor that he needed to lower his cholesterol. So out went Atkins and in came all the low-fat food stuff.

/sigh

So close yet so far away.

Now I know what they mean by being a voice in the wilderness...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 20:21

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

In "Protein Power", the Eades talk about using the low carb diet to lower cholesterol and triglycerides in people of normal weight. It might be worth her while to read that book. It's pretty close to Atkins.
There advice is good, but they'er huckstering a "magic" weight loss pill, which made me lose some respect for them.