Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Pep talk from Dr. Atkins

"But you can make it the best body possible if you don't fall into the trap of demanding a perfect figure and weight loss schedule that exists only in your head. You can succeed only if you forgive yourself your missteps.....you'll hit plateaus, lose a little ground or sometimes lose more slowly than you would like. I can assure you that you will most likely succeed by doing Atkins, but each one of you will succeed differently, at a different pace. "

That's from Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution.

I needed to read that this morning. I had thought that the scale was finally headed down again. Wrong. I weighed myself this morning, and I gained 4 pounds! Aargh. Maybe I should quit weighing myself every week and just weigh in once a month. I am going to be in a foul mood all day over this, even though I know that is not fat gain. I ate some extra calories over the weekend, about 700 a day more than usual. But only some of them were carbs. Most of this must be water weight.

Weight loss at 40 for women does not happen at the speed of light. I know that. But sometimes I am scared that the pounds will never come off.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:58
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Seems like every time I need it, I come here and find something that gets me back into the right frame of mind. I haven't weighed myself this week, have been upping carbs (and doing a terrible job at it) and just feel like I am outside of my comfort zone. Sometimes I wonder if I am all of a sudden doing something wrong, even though I know in the back of my mind that plateaus and stalls are a part of weight loss. I haven't even had to face some of the challenges others in here have. Thanks for posting just what I needed when I needed it!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 09:01

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Colleen, you silly goose! I read your line "Sometimes I am scared that the pounds will never come off" and then I read your stats.....Talk about pounds coming off! 235 all the way down to 148?!?!?! That is what I call pounds coming off, not to mention incredible determination, will power, and patience!! Life is full of little 4 lb ups and downs. Living life healthfully is what it is all about. I hope the extra calories this past weekend were due to great times and enjoyment. I hope you smiled and savored your splurges. Now you jumped right back on track and got on with your life. A livable WOL demands adaptation. Throw the scale out the window and feel proud of yourself that you are in control!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 09:39

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Well, yes WendyLynn, they were awfully fun calories. We spent the weekend on our boat, and I had a few low-carb beers. (Not at many as the others in our group. I was one of the few with no hangover.) Dinner wasn't ready until 10PM both nights, so I dove headfirst into the Fritos while I was waiting.

I've been hovering around 150 since May! That's where that fear thing comes from.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 10:54

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been stuck for two months, I know there are people on this board who have been stuck for longer. It's frustrating since I don't even know what goal is.
But I'm sure enjoying the journey. Since this is so long term, what the heck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 12:44

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

If you have been hovering around 150 for 6 months while enjoying life, then you have maintained your weight and health for 6 months while enjoying life! The good news is that your weight didn't go up in all that time. I am learning that sometimes our bodies don't go along with our plans and enormous patience is required. But you can help it along by reving up your metabolism by upping your exercise program a bit. Good luck and continued congrats on all you have accomplished.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 13:00

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Don't fret. If you feel like you need a lift. Just log on. You have done so well. You enjoyed your weekend. Now hop back on the atkins wagon. We will wait for you.