Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 20:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/133.5/125
BF:37/34/28
Progress: 57%
Default Riding the last 10lb rollercoaster?

Anyone in this boat with me? I have been LCing for a while and made a serious commitment to a lifestyle change. I am looking to lose my last 10lbs. Actually it was my last 5lbs one day last month - but my body seems to be fighting back.

Water has been a constant enemy of mine - I retain it and lose. I have had one wedding that I totally broke down and a few minor higher carb days - for me anything over 30g seems to be problematic. Anyway - up and down I go.

I actually took my scale with me on a business trip. In the less humid areas of the north - I can easily lose 2-3 pounds of water. Back in my home - back up!

I got a little sloppy there for a while. No chocolate bars - but I have pinched one french fry from my son's plate. I guess sometimes I get frustrated!

I'm determined not to give up. Analyzing my intake on FITDAY I have a few strategies I'm working on. Just wondered if anyone else is going through this
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 05:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default In this boat too!

Hi Nan, My stats and experience are almost identical to yours. I am on a super simplified version of Atkins--no bars, bake mixes, no bread, pasta, rice, sugar and very little cheese. The carbs I eat grow from the ground: starchy veggies and fruit. I still drink coffee and an occassional vodka, but have given up diet soda entirely. I lost 13 lbs. between Jan 23 and April 1st and nothing since then. I go up and down now between 133 and 136. I have not lost any more inches either, because my clothing size won't budge from size 6 to size four. I know my frame should be a size four because a few years ago I Slim-Fasted/low-fatted/starved myself to this weight and size. It was at 123 lbs. that I was finally rid of my stomach and hip fat and felt like a normal person. [i.e., did not have to worry about 'belt overhang' and 'bra underhang' when I sat down!] Also, when I compute my ideal weight according to the formula in Protein Power, it comes back as between 121 and 131.

I too am at a loss for what to do. I have tried eating more carbs, less carbs, more fat, less fat; I have read Protein Power, Schwarzbein, Go-Diet, Sugarbusters and every other low carb book out there. I have started to lift weights and I swim 3-4 days per week... My feeling is that due to years of yo yo dieting, my body is resistant in the extreme. I am not giving up because I feel a million times better eating the low carb way. But, I am also not going to settle for the body I have at 133-136 lbs.

Fit Day causes me obsess about food, so I can't use it on a regular basis. If you find out a strategy that works, I would love to hear about it. In the meantime, I wanted you to know that I am just about where you are now and hopefully both of us will find a way out of this blockage!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 06:42
Registered Member

Unhappy Misery loves company

Twiggy,

I was so glad to read your message this morning. What a battle this has been.

I generally am not eating more than 35g of carbs a day and I was alright for a while which is the frustrating thing!

Anyway, today I'm starting a few new things. I think I have been eating too many calories (trying to get the fat up) so my first strategy is to eliminate one of my high fat snacks - usually pork rinds or peanuts which are also highly salted. Some folks have told me I need to eat between 10-12 X weight in calories. Which in my high of 136 this morning (!!!!) is 1360 to 1632.

I haven't been exercising regularly so I'm perhaps just taking too much in. I just want to make one change at a time so I know what is working.

Totally depressed this morning - but inspired to go on knowing I'm not alone!!

Thanks

PS Can you give me the protein power goal weigh formula. I'm 5'1" and according to the BMI figures in Atkins I should be no more than 131.9lbs. Just curious. Thanks

Last edited by Nan : Sun, May-19-02 at 06:55.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 07:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Protein Power formula

Hi Nan, The forumla for computing ideal body composition from Protein Power starts on page 63. [paperback edition of the original PP book] This is in the chapter of the book called "Assessing Your Risk." It is a rather involved mathematical formula and you will need a tape measure so you can measure, record and then calculate body composition. I am not talented enough at math to put the formula into my own words! But in simple terms, you will need to measure your wrist, hips, waist and then follow the directions and charts in the chapter to find your goal numbers. It is kind of fun to do and it is a different way of looking at things. At 5'1" you are probably in the right ballpark as far as your present goal estimate. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 08:45

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Me Too......

Hi there,

My stats are also very similar to yours. I was in that boat for a few weeks too, I kept going from 136 to 138 on and on.

I even read in the CAD/CALP section a thread about a Liver Flush, which is a program called the Fat Flush Plan, which seems to work extremely effectively at budging those tenacious lbs, rapidly!!!. You should read the thread and the info at www.ivillage.com for Fat Flush. I haven't done it yet because just the other day the scales shifted again to 135lbs, then today to 134lbs, the lowest yet for me!!!

But... and here's the but, it could be due to the fact that I have cut back my carbs to under 20g again for the past week or so. They had crept up on some days to 35, 36, 37g with my fat still being high, ie 120 - 160g. I think I should have reduced my fats whilst increasing carbs. Also 2 weeks ago I started eating cottage cheese with 1tbsp of flaxoil + 5 or so raspberries to sweeten, every morning before a smaller breakfast. So it could be a combination of things really. The only thing is I don't want to stay on such a low carb count, but I will see if it is this that is helping me loose and if I manage to loose another 4 lbs this way, then I'll start upping the carbs again, but this time also decrease my fats along with it.

For me I just want to get nearer to my target weight, then I'll try to redefine my diet a little closer to how I'd like to eat long term. At the moment, I don't think I'm eating enough fruit, just strawberries and raspberries, and eating too much diary fat, ie cream, creme fraiche, philly type stuff. But if it's working again, then I'll run with it for a few more weeks and see what happens.

I don't know whether any of this helps but reading the thread on fat flushing in the CAD/CALP section, threw an entirely different light on the subject for me yet again, you learn something new every day

Byee
Banana
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 14:11

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Me too!!

Same here! Although I don't know if I can talk since I haven't been on track lately lol
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 16:58
Registered Member

Default Here's my theory

I think once you get closer to goal you actually have to reduce fat and calories. I just can't see how else the weight will come off. I'm with you guys - the thought of going back to 20 carbs is not very pleasant.

Also, I guess the use of water, water and more water. I haven't been able to give up my one.......... okay two cups of coffee in the morning. Dr.Atkins is very adamant about this. Anyone still drinking coffee?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 08:50

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Don't know if this will help!!!!

Nan,

I used to have a cup of decaf every morning, but now even that desire has gone, mainly due to the fact that as soon as I get up, after I've weighed myself, of course!!! I drink down a pint (which is about 20 floz) of water, and now I've even started with the hot water and lemon juice and also 10fl oz of water mixed with 1tsp flaxmeal. Well...... after that lot, there isn't much room or desire for any more fluid in me!!!!!!!

Maybe if you drink enough 'other stuff' in the morning, you won't want any coffee!!!! We live in hope

All the best
Banana
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:57
Registered Member

Stats: 250/201/205 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default An article from the Doctor on THE LAST 10

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2002/4/29-347158.html

Here's a very simple equation: Losing excess weight equals feeling better. How much better? In most cases, a lot. Many health problems markedly improve when you slim down.

But do you have to get down to your goal weight for the health benefits to kick in? Absolutely not. Many studies have shown that if you're overweight, losing just 10 percent of your excess weight can lead to real health improvements1. High blood pressure, known as hypertension, is a good example of how modest weight loss can improve a potentially life-threatening condition. If you're overweight, losing even a little can help you get your blood pressure under control. For every pound you lose, your systolic blood pressure (the higher number in the reading) will probably drop by about a point. Losing just 5 percent to 10 percent of your body weight could make the difference between needing blood-pressure medication and being able to take less of it, or stop taking it altogether2,3. And improved blood pressure reduces your risk of a heart attack, stroke or kidney disease.

Modest weight loss can also be extremely helpful for overweight people with Type II diabetes. Many studies have shown that it only takes a loss of 5 percent to 10 percent of your excess weight to stop using insulin or oral medication4-7.

The evidence for the value of modest weight loss recently got even stronger with a 2002 study of heart-disease markers in women of normal weight compared to those who are overweight. The study showed that when the overweight women lost only 10 percent of their body weight over the course of a year, their heart-disease markers fell to much better levels. In fact, their levels were very close to those of the normal-weight women8.

In just about every case, losing the first 10 percent to 20 percent of your body weight also helps improve your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, stabilize your blood sugar and lower your blood pressure. Your new numbers still may not be where you and your doctor would like them to be, but you'll be on the way to better health.

Finally, you'll reach a point where you're feeling great, looking good and amazing your doctor with the improvement in your health—and you're still 10 or 15 pounds above your goal weight. Do you need to lose those last pounds? Not really. Even if you weigh about 10 percent above your goal weight—say, 145 pounds when you ideally should be at 130—you're now easily within the healthy range. What's far more important than struggling to lose those final few pounds is keeping off all the weight you've already lost. How do you do that? Look back with pride on what you've already accomplished and see how positively you've changed your life. Keep active, don't let those excess carbs creep back into your diet and enjoy your newfound health and energy.

Achieving a Realistic Goal

In practical terms, what does modest weight loss mean? Let's say you're a woman who's 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 200 pounds. That gives you a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 33. Ideally, you should weigh 148 pounds and have a BMI of 24. Realistically, your goal weight might be somewhat higher, especially if you have a stocky build, are menopausal or must take medicine that limits your ability to lose weight. (The BMI is a useful guide to find out if you're overweight and what your goal weight should be. Use the Body Mass Index chart to check your own BMI. A BMI between 24.9 and 29.9 means you're overweight; a BMI above 30 means you're obese.)

To reach your desired weight you would have to lose 52 pounds. That's a big challenge—one so big that you might quickly get discouraged or decide not to slim down at all. But losing only 5 percent of 200 pounds means losing just 10 pounds, which will make your BMI drop from 33 to 32. Losing 10 pounds or going down one BMI level are goals you can definitely achieve and maintain, especially if you're following the Atkins Nutritional Approach™. Those pounds could be gone within a month or two on Induction—and during that time you'll enjoy great food without being hungry. When you've lost those first 10 pounds, you'll already be feeling better and looking better—exactly the motivation you need to get started on losing the next 10 pounds.

Sheila Buff is a health writer and the coauthor of Dr. Atkins' Age-Defying Diet (St. Martin's, 2000).

Selected References
Pi-Sunyer, F.X. "A Review of Long-Term Studies Evaluating the Efficacy of Weight Loss in Ameliorating Disorders Associated with Obesity," Clinical Therapeutics, 18, 1996; pages 1006-1035.
Whelton, P.K., Appel, L.J., Espeland, M.A., et al. "Sodium Reduction and Weight Loss in the Treatment of Hypertension of Older Persons," Journal of the American Medical Association, 279, 1998, pages 839-846.
Blackburn, G. "Effect of Degree of Weight Loss on Health Benefits," Obesity Research 3, (supplement 2), 1995, pages 211s-216s.
Chan, S., Blackburn, G.L. "Helping Patients Reverse the Health Risks of Obesity," Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, 4, 1997, pages 37-51.
Pi-Sunyer, F.X., "Short-Term Medical Benefits and Adverse Effects of Weight Loss," Annals of Internal Medicine, 119, 1993, pages 722-726.
Wing, R.R., Koeske, R., Epstein, L.H., et al. "Long-Term Effects of Modest Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetic Patients," Archives of Internal Medicine, 147, 1987, pages 1749-1753.
Williamson, D.F., Thompson, T.J., Thun, M. et al. "Intentional Weight Loss and Mortality among Overweight Individuals with Diabetes," Diabetes Care, 23, 2000, pages 1499-1504.
Ziccardi, P., Napp, F., Giugliano, G. et al. "Reduction of Inflammatory Cytokine Concentrations and Improvement of Endothelial Functions in Obese Women After Weight Loss Over One Year," Circulation, 105, 2002, pages 804-809.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 19:10
Registered Member

Default I needed this

Thanks Dave,

There's a healthy dose of perspective - something I think all dieters lose at some time or the other.