Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-10, 21:20

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%
Default Qigong & Diabetes

Google "Qigong and Diabetes" or just "Qigong" and do your own research into if this might be a benefit to you... I don't do references very well, and for me, the proof is in the pudding, not what someone says about it. My experience with doing qigong exercises is very positive or I wouldn't be bothering to post about it.... So, I'm just passing along something new for others to look into...

My opinions:

Qigong is probably not for the faint of heart, meaning it takes a committment to do this, as to believe in qigong, means to believe in that it needs to be done regularly at the same time each day. I'm still only managing every other day on average, but have come to the conclusion that daily is most likely much better and I'm making that my goal and I'm hoping to be doing it daily within the next several weeks as I will juggle my schedule to accomodate being able to do this.

Also, qigong is not about getting slim, putting on muscle, blah, blah, blah, but it is more about exercising in a precise way to benefit a more efficient functioning of the internal organs. It isn't a flashy and fashionable type of exercise. It takes a lot of concentration to really benefit from it.

There have been studies that indicate it is beneficial in healing or preventing certain diseases.

For example of the effectiveness of Qigong: My wife, whose practiced this for years, can do almost motionless qigong exercises for about 10 minutes and I can get along side of her and do the same thing and she works up a huge sweat while I don't sweat at all. The difference is in her ability to concentrate, focus her energy from inward coming outward and through a certain breathing pattern. When she is into her movements, there is no distraction for her, it is a timeless thing for her and the world for her ceases to exist. Through her practice of qigong, all stress ceases. All energy is applied through physical, spiritual, mental processes at the same time. So, I don't think it is an exercise anyone can do in the short term and say it works or doesn't work, it is a practice that over time, a person becomes more efficient in the principles of it and the benefits of it become greater....

My wife says that while taking care of our health is the most important thing, it is the first thing we give up when we feel our lives getting busy. My wife says that we invest our money to profit and in the same way, we should invest our time to take care of our health so we can profit with better health. A 10% investment of our time for health should not be considered unreasonable. That is about 2 1/2 hours per day. Can we name other activities in which we invest 10% of our time and in the order of importance, it is miniscule compared to our health???? Probably so, huh!

I read that practicing Qigong at the same time each day leaves a memory imprint on the body and that in turn helps us have better digestions, relieves stress, we sleep better, we have a healthy appetite, etc... For me, with what I'm experiencing, I'd say that is very true!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 13:51

Ba Duan Jing is one set (brocade) of movements within the art of Qigong..... Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlKFZTsCqSo

My wife and I do 20 repetitions of each of 8 movements within Ba Duan Jing. I do this no less than every other day and trying to create the habit to do it daily.

When done properly with our number of repetitions, it takes about 20 minutes. We also do other sets of movements within the art of Qigong...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 14:51

Ba Duan Jing... aka.... Macrobiotic Qigong

I translated the following from a Chinese website as best as I could on the benefits of this one aspect of Qigong...:

"The 8 Qigong brocade movements are gentle and slow to allow a feeling of relaxation by nature and allow the body to adjust and function better on its own, thus giving comprehensive recovery. The brocade directs the body toward smooth vitality through expanding & contracting pitches in external movement designed to enhance internal function, the channels and collaterals to be unimpeded, enabling the body veins to stretch and the bone muscle to be supple and have vitality. Through practice, blood vessels improve elasticity, the cardiac muscle contraction is more powerful, and full blood vessels improve in rhythm and become stronger. Improvements in the immune system and decreases in stress become notable, as well as improved blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugar, and thyroid function."
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for posting this information.