Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 08:55

Plan: not yet
Stats: 160/150/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question 8 year old dd -need advice please-

My daughter has been gaining weight since age 6, she was always underweight and height(still is for height) as a small child.She has a huge
belly, which I believe is yeast related. I started today with lc. She only needs to loose about 15 lbs. How many carbs does she need a day? Thank GOD she likes the choises for lc foods. Will this intefere with her bowels, she does suffer from constipation. But I have noticed that since I cut down on sugar, that she has been going more often, but my s-i-L said it will cause constipation.
Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 09:56

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Not official advice!

These are some ideas I have, but please don't take it as gospel.

First, track/count the number of carbs she would normally have in a day (before you changed her eating habits). See how many total there were to begin with.

If I was to start with an 8 year old, I would first do these things:

Cut all sugar in all forms!
Cut rice and flour (basically, all starches) - that means cutting breading on meats as well.
Allow all fruits and veggies (except potatoes, corn, and bananas). In fact, focus on getting many fruits and veggies (especially veggies) - no backing up there! Allow yummy low-carb salad dressings. Go with butter or cheese on veggies.
Use the "Light" breads that will have 8 grams carbs per slice, but 2 grams fiber.
Drop cereals in the morning.
Drop all fruit drinks/juices.
Make sure she's getting a decent amount of protein in a day (you didn't say how much she weighs?)

Keep a close eye on the yeast problem.

Do this for a month or so and see how she responds.
If the response is minimal or bad, head in a different direction.

So, for example,
Breakfast can be eggs and (light) toast with butter.
Lunch can be a sandwich (light bread) with mayo and ham and cheese and lettuce and tomato. Carrot sticks with Ranch dressing. Have some fruit with that too!
Snacks can be nuts, cheeses, fruits, veggies.
Dinner is what you cook that won't have noodles or any starches. Sides of veggies and fruit.

Does this make sense?

For an 8 year old, I don't think this would be risky at all, and you will probably see improvements is many areas.

Good luck!
I look forward to what others may say!
-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 10:57

Plan: not yet
Stats: 160/150/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much,
She weighs 81 lbs, she has gained 5 lbs in last 3 months. Dr says she has slow metabolism. She is very active. And It is mostly in her belly.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 18:48
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think that with an eight-year-old, you want to be very careful. While it's good for any child to eat healthier -- none of them need sugary junk foods and sodas -- you don't want to cut carbs too low. She should still eat some fruit and whole grains (which will also help to prevent constipation). From what I have read, rather than focusing on getting a child that age to lose weight, you should try to get the gain to slow down so her height has a chance to catch up. She may well be heading into an adolescent growth spurt (kids hit adolescence a lot earlier these days), and in my experience it is common for kids to gain some weight before they start growing in height. Once they shoot up in height, they usually slim down as long as they are not eating tremendous quantities of junk.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 07:31
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think lpioch gave you excellent advice. That's pretty much a Maintenance diet (it's what I'm doing during pregnancy) and will give her height a chance to catch up with her weight, like Liz mentioned.

For yeast problems, lots of people recommend an Oil of Oregano supplement. I don't know if that would be safe for a child, although I don't see why not — might want to check with a nutritionist. There is a huge thread on OoO in the Atkins forum if you do a search for it. If yeast truly is a problem, you might want to limit/eliminate cheese and other dairy.

Last edited by Hilary M : Tue, Sep-28-04 at 07:38.