Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 06:25
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default My kids ...

Hi folks,

My 3 year old is 29 lbs (Mr. Bean Pole). But my 6 year old is 79lbs and my 11 year old is 136lbs.

The 6 year-old is quite active and is not much of a big eater so I'm not as concerned with him as my 11 year-old.

He is starting to skip meals and eat little at breakfast. He loves eggs and has started to eat cereal in the morning because it's "healthier".

My wife and I don't agree on LC'ing, but we do agree on getting rid of "empty" calories.

I am going to eliminate pop and chips and pretzels from the house as they run out.

I have stopped buying "fruit zoos" - the only one complaining is the 2 year old.

We made kool-aid with splenda last night and that went over great!

My wife and I need to find some common ground - but I whole heartedly agree - get rid of the junk first.

I don't know about LC bread, I can't take it much myself; I am very sensitive to the taste. I've made nemerous types of bread in my bread machine and can't really say I like any of them.

Our biggest problem is nuts and peanut butter - they are banned from the schools here. All of the baked goods that are LC use almond or hazelnut flour - I don't know whether to just find alternatives or simply send almonds/hazelnuts in baked goods to school.

I will watch this thread - I think we as parents have a responsibility to our kids to help them control their weight.

My two oldest were rail thin until age 3-4. I will watch my 2 year old closely as he is a "starch" addict! He's just starting to eat meatballs and chicken nuggets, but other than that it's pasta, rice and bread.

Tom.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 08:01

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

Can we start a list of kiddie lunch ideas for the summer? I've been packing my ds's lunch, but with summer coming on I know there should be some more options....Salads are always an option, but need some more ideas.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 22:09
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default You have my vote ...

Yes! Great idea. I would like to have a go-to stored where I could use it!

My memory forgets the things that work or the kids like.

Tom.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 20:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quibbers-- great idea!

After waffling for over a year, I'm finally putting the whole family on a modified low carb. It started when my 12 yo DD came to me (finally!) for help with her weight.

Anywho, this summer I anticipate breakfast will be easy (they all love bacon & eggs & faux french toast) & dinner will be little different than we do now. But lunch will be more difficult-- especially because I want to make sure it's filling enough that they won't want to munch all afternoon.

A couple of things I'll start with....

deviled eggs

Peanut butter hand-cranked at the health food store. DD loved to make this but wouldn't take it in her packed lunch because she said it got "gross" after sitting in her locker all morning. I usually use it as a dip for celery but kids also love apple slices dipped in it. They've even dipped leftover chicken in it!

Leftover meat, veggies & cheese rolled in LC tortilla

Well that's 3 days worth-- only need about 80 more!
  #50   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 13:54

Have roast in the crock pot. I told the kids we were all "getting back on trak" this morning and ???dinner wish list. They said they wanted the steak salad I had made them a while back...uh...that was prob some leftover stuff! LOL. Never know what they are going to like. I figured if I made extra roast that then I could make them the salads, so that is the plan.

Made chicken salad for my lunch today and used a LaTortilla factory brand tortilla to wrap it in, it was ok. My dd is just now eating tuna or chik salad, so I'll test it on her later today-ha.

I did find a lc mac and cheese am going to test on them. dd likes lc pasta ok. We eat the Atkins brand every so often. dd really misses pasta. My son picks at it, and dh is not crazy about it either, but they are fine if I make meatballs along with it. I've also served spaghetti makings over cooked broccoli and cauli. They liked it over broc. better. No one here can go the spaghetti squash route, tho some people really like that.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 20:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbers
I did find a lc mac and cheese am going to test on them.

Is it that Dreamfield's pasta I keep seeing things about around the forum? Another kind? I've only tried one LC pasta & none of us could eat it!!
  #52   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 22:34

No it's Bella Villa or something like that. We haven't tried it yet. The one my dd eats is the Atkins one. It's not "great" but she doesn't seem to mind...lol

Tonight we had big salads and she ate everything! I got fresh Boar's Head deli slices -they are fairly sugar free it you avoid the ham and maple stuff. I rolled up slices and added cheese and put the cukes and tomatoes out for them to pick what they wanted. I'm trying to avoid the oven, it's hot here already. I need to dig out the George F. grill. Think we are having brauts tomorrow-and maybe mac n cheese! I'll let you know about it.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 17:06

Neither of my kids would eat the Bella Vita brand mac n cheese - Oh well, i tried. I thought it was better than the Atkins brand pasta, but even dd didn't like it.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:29

BF:

I was able to buy the Dreamfield's pasta elbows that I've heard raves about-- will let you know how it turns out.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:24

Do! My dh turned his nose up at the mac n cheese too. The dogs ate it tho
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 20:55
Registered Member

Stats: 282/250/180 Female 5 ft. 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hello....It has been a long time since I have posted! We have been off on vacation and then so busy I could not see straight. Well my 11 year old daughter is down 28 pounds since we started this WOL. She now chooses when she wants to splurge a bit and makes such great decisions. Now my 8 year old lost 18 pounds and then gained it back plus 2 more. Grandparents keep feeding her sweets behind my back and then at school all the parties! UUGH! We will just keep on trying. I am curious how many of your kids are sticking with this WOL and how they are progressing? Wishing you all luck..
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 16:24

Still have not seen Dreamfield pasta around town. It might be here and I just miss it tho...

I did find Carbolite fruit bars. Got blueberry and strawberry. Both dd and i tried the strawberry and really liked them. They are 110 cals/2-3 carbs/bar. Very strawberry tasting-didn't have that powdered milk taste I get when I used to eat a nurtigrain bar. I'd buy them again I suppose. Sometimes kids need a snack to take with them somewhere, or dd doesn't really want breakfast.

Lunch yesterday was meatballs, deviled eggs and green beans. Kids thought that was great.We'd eaten at a mediterr. place last week and dd was in to the concept of meatballs without noodles after she had them there on the buffet.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 11:46

Tried the KetoGenics mac n cheese and the kids liked that one ok. I am going to get some more as soon as I figure out where I got that box! My kids also really like the BlueBunny Lite 85 yoghurt. There are several that are 11-13 gm carbs per serving. They like the Carb Freedom, which is around 5 per serving, but it's also more expensive.