Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 06:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/198/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Fast Food Recs

I am sure this is on the site somewhere but could someone please direct me to fast food option suggestions tricks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 06:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quick check of this forum and I couldn't find them (sure they are here), but start with this list from RuledMe. The photos are so tempting, dont look if hungry.
http://www.ruled.me/keto-and-fast-food-on-the-go/

The Atkins 2010 book and website also had a rather long list of general tips.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 06:55

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Pretty much the only fast food I will eat is a Subway salad. Any sandwich option can be made into a chopped salad instead. I ususally go for the roast beef or BLT and ask for spinich and other veggies first and lettuce last (or not at all) - this way you don't get the bowl filled with mostly lettuce and they are more generous with the other veggies. For extra money you can get avocado as well.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 09:58
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I've done a Wendy's double, with extra lettuce and subbing a side salad for the fries. That worked well. The receipt actually said 'Double - Low Carb' on it, so they must have it programmed in their computer that way. I don't know how consistent they are with it, but they did a great job with mine on the extra lettuce... nice big pieces for a lettuce wrap.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 10:30

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Any burger place will more likely than not give you a lettuce wrapped burger. Five Guys is one of my favorites. You can pick the toppings (avoid ketchup - get pickles, bacon).

Taco Bell - I get 2-3 chicken soft tacos. I don't eat the shells, getting them in the soft shells makes it easier to scrape out the innards. Each is 100 calories, 0 carbs, but lots of sodium.

Panera Bread - I get the chicken cobb salad with avocado. Everything in it is legal - lettuce, hard boiled egg, chicken, bacon, tomato, avocado. They just changed it to a Greek Salad - still all the same stuff, but different dressing. I haven't had time to look at the carbs in the new dressing. Last time I was there, they changed it to the old dressing for me.

My best advice is to do a google search restaurant name + low carb and you will get results. You can pick the best option for you from those.

Best wishes on the journey!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 11:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Where do you live? There's lots of regional places as well as chains. Although, if you're not in the US I can't help you much.

I like In&Out's lettuce wrapped burger. They call it "protein style". Burger King will serve you a burger in a bowl. I think they call it "low carb".

McDonald's Angus burger is to be avoided. It has wheat in it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-25-16, 17:48

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

If you get a side-salad, just watch the dressings -- even dressings like full-fat ranch they seem to put extra sugar and chemicals in when they're in packets. (Example, McDonalds Newman's Own)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 06:49

BF:

Awesome suggestions, thank you! FF has come a long way from 2000 when you ordered a double cheeseburger and pitch the buns. I live in Nebraska so have access to lots. Have a subway in town and enjoy their salads. Runza makes great burgers too, will have to ask them if they have a non bun option. Made me think to ask when I brought home pizza after ball games and my family was laughing at me eating the tops. Me, who used to live for my sons crust edge that he wouldn't eat! The farm cats enjoyed the pizza "carcass" 🙃
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 12:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
If you get a side-salad, just watch the dressings -- even dressings like full-fat ranch they seem to put extra sugar and chemicals in when they're in packets. (Example, McDonalds Newman's Own)

I had a chef salad at a local place & checked my BG a couple hours later - shockingly high! Considering what was in the salad, I fingered the dressing as the culprit. So bring my own next time or order meat. Which they do a good job on - no bun, mayo on the side (burger is too dry without a little mayo), no tomato. They've gotten used to me.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 15:07

Stats: 206/205/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

I do a lot of burgers without a bun. Wendy's, Culver's (mostly midwest chain) and Hardee's/Carl's JR do a good job if I order it as a lettuce wrap or no bun. The Mcdonald's and Burger King seem to have a harder time with that concept for some reason, so i just usually order a double cheeseburger and throw the buns out myself if I go to those places.

Chick-Fil-A has grilled nuggets now. I've tried them and liked them, not 100% sure of the carb count but its probably one of the lower carb things on their menu.

I haven't found anything at Tacobell that I really can eat, but I may take the shredded chicken taco suggestion posted previously.

And for breakfast I sometimes get 2 sausage patties and either 2 folded eggs or scrambled eggs from McDonald's. Sometimes I add cheese. I always feel silly ordering this because I can make eggs and sausage patties at home very easily, but sometimes you just want someone to do the work for you!

I rarely order fast food salads, mostly because salads are SO boring to me and I feel like fast food ones especially always have added carby toppings like tortilla strips and corn or beans or croutons etc. I end up taking most of the toppings off and end up eating ice burg lettuce and shredded cheese with some probably not that low carb ranch.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 09:10

BF:

We live in small town ... Have gotten taco salad with shell. That works easy. I know if I think I won't eat the shell, I'll start breaking off the edges bit by bit....great to know about Wendy's. I never thought of asking for a lettuce wrap. I confess, I shall miss nachos but I've had a good first week so won't complain! I have ordered two sausage mcmuffins and take off top and use bottom to eat off of, like a plate! (I'm usually driving somewhere) not too often I know they aren't perfect.

It helps to have gluten awareness. Better than years ago when they'd look at you like you're crazy.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 09:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Quick check of this forum and I couldn't find them (sure they are here), but start with this list from RuledMe. The photos are so tempting, dont look if hungry.
http://www.ruled.me/keto-and-fast-food-on-the-go/

The Atkins 2010 book and website also had a rather long list of general tips.

Fantastic link, thank you!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 10:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amypete
We live in small town ... Have gotten taco salad with shell. That works easy. I know if I think I won't eat the shell, I'll start breaking off the edges bit by bit....great to know about Wendy's. I never thought of asking for a lettuce wrap. I confess, I shall miss nachos but I've had a good first week so won't complain!

this won't work in a restaurant, but at home every once in a while i make nachos- big pile of fajita meat (chicken, but could do ground beef if you prefer), salsa, sauteed peppers, melted cheddar/monterey jack, sour cream and gauc. then i use bell pepper chunks to scoop it all up, instead of chips. yum!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-28-16, 18:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I just found a new place to eat today! Husband has been bugging me to try it, so we stopped there today. Not exactly fast food, tho service was fast. Organic, and they have no problem with fixing things your way. I explained I couldn't have grains or sugar (much easier than saying low carb, which can mean almost anything), and it was great! Pulled pork salad served on lettuce instead of a tortilla, and no sugary sauce. And a couple of melted cheese crackers on top instead of croutons. Nice to find those in a restaurant!

Husband got lamb sliders & found that 1 was enough for him. Brought the 2nd one home, fed the bun to the chickies, & I'll probably eat the lamb patty later.

Sometimes, when you're looking for fast food, small bistro-type restaurants can be a great choice.

If anyone's traveling on the east side of Washington & you end up in Chewelah, go to the Terrace Grille.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-16, 21:48

BF:

Went to my son's ball games this weekend. No popcorn with cheese sauce! Drank water. Considered that a good accomplishment! Ate a brat without the bun!! I have to confess I ate ONE nacho chip with cheese sauce. Tasted terrible, no flavor at all! How about that for an accomplishment!

Eating on the run has lots of hidden carbs but these are all great suggestions. THANK YOU!