Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 12:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Low Cal / Low Carb Recipes

Just a place to keep things until we get a low-cal/low-carb recipe forum.. if we do.

Here's my Chili Recipe I use on PSMF

1 Pound of Turkey Sausage (Trader Joe's has 'em)
1 29.5 oz can of tomatoes, diced, undrained (sometimes I add an additional 14 oz can)
1 onion or dehydrated onions
2 cups of frozen veggies (I use artichoke hearts or broccoli)
Chili Powder (to taste, I use 2-3T)
Cocoa powder (optional, I use 1-2T)
Hot things (optional, I use Chipotle in Adobo sauce or red pepper flakes or cayenee)
Garlic (optional)

Combine and simmer for about 30 minutes. It ranges from 100-150 calories per 10 oz bowl depending exactly on what you put in it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 15:06
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default just damned good meaty soup

pick some bones and meat of your choice. Bones are important for flavour esp if the meat you choose is very lean. Duh. low cal.
-this would work with a chicken or turkey carcass too - not just red meat. I've also done it with roasts that weren't going to be eaten. Convenient in that it can be frozen, and it can sit in the fridge for a week and be fine. Tastes better the longer it sits.

-in a big pot of cold water put bones, meat, celery root, some carrots, a leek and some bay leaves. Let sit for a long time. You can substitute onion for leek..
-on the lowest possible heat let the stuff just go.. overnight, all the next day... turn it off. let it cool.
-take out the veggies and discard. I sometimes put the carrots back in. Separate meat from bone.. add parsley and simmer for a while longer. Eat.. or to make even lower fat chill first, take the fat off the top then eat.
I usually put some boullion in at the end just for the saltiness.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 15:15
Registered Member

Default fast and meaty

I like to keep cooked ground beef in the fridge for convenience. When I'm feeling anal I'll simmer it a bit to get more fat out of it. Ground turkey has less fat.

2) chop and lightly sautee zuccini in a nonstick pan, you can use spaghetti squash instead if you prefer, and adding mushrooms gives it even more volume for the low calories
-warm the ground beef
-mix everything together with a liberal amount of tomato sauce and cottage cheese. I use RAO's homemade vodka sauce because there are only 6 carbs per half cup and you don't need much for a large serving, and I use 1% cottage cheese. It tastes lasagnaish and very good, all of the ingredients are prepared in the fridge except for the sauteed zucc. and mushrooms.

nutrition (for 1/2c ground beef, 1/2c cottage cheese, 1/2 zuccini, 4tbs vodka sauce)

Total cals according to Fitday: 283
Protein 31
Carbs 6
Fat 13
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-05, 15:20
Registered Member

Default dressing for veggies and salad

simple, sounds weird but delicious.

Mix some milk with some dijon mustard and add "season salt" or some sort of variety salt/spice. That's it. It's really good on both salad and for example, cooked cauliflower etc. When you're not watching calories it's good mixed with oil.

Not many calories in a plash of milk, and none to speak of in the mustard.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

Someone else posted this idea awhile back, I just tried it its great! Very, very few carbs or calories.

Lemon Ginger Gelatin

1 package of gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used bottled)
1-3 tsp of ginger (I have some bottled ginger that worked great)
Splenda to taste

Soften gelatin on the cold water in a dish. Add lemon juice and ginger. Give a mix. Add hot water. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Refrigerate until set.

(Edit: Changed that to 1/4 cup of lemon juice)

And I just made another sort:

Tea Gelatin

Same as above with gelatin and cold water. Mix in 1 cup of your favorite tea (I love Bengal spice with its cinammon and pepper flavors) and splenda to taste. Stir until dissolved and then refrigerate until set.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Sep-05-05 at 10:58.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:29
Registered Member

Default chicken something or other

--this was adapted from a recipe that used either pineapple or apple juice. Both of those are fairly high carb so I substute lemon juice and add stevia. The point is that there is something acidic.

-Put some chicken breasts in a pot, add water and lemon juice and a bay leaf, or some poultry seasoning. You can sub a low fat pork cut for the chicken.
-simmer the chicken for quite a while, eventually add a bunch of onions sliced into rings
-you'll want to boil the water right down so that you get a nice thick saucy onion mixture at the bottom...possibly burn the onions a bit and then add a little more water, depending on your tastes.
-that's it. Sorry I can't be more specific with the spices, I just throw things in as I go and usually don't pay attention

-the nutritional content is however much chicken you put in, and the onions. I never count the lemon juice
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:36
Registered Member

Default easy bbq salad

I ate this every day for lunch for a month when I was dieting. It lasted for several hours in a container without getting mushy before I ate it for lunch.

-slice into small strips an amount of good quality deli turkey breast. (this is for convenience)
-throw into a nonstick frying pan and heat, add an egg and stir really quickly so that it coats the meat. Substitute white only if you need to be anal about fat intake
-add the "spicy sauce" (see note below)
-put on top of a big serving of robust romaine lettuce, I say robust so that it will stand up and still have structure under the warm food.

spicy sauce: I used the kraft low carb bbq sauce and added some Etheopian hot sauce that had already been prepared for me. It might be berebere - it is VERY strong both in taste and smell and it makes the cheap and rather bland tasting Kraft really good in this instance. I'd recommend seeking out some berbere or using a somewhat bitter and spicy flavour of your own to make the sauce yummy.

My non dieting husband loves this meal, which says a lot for it. I think he likes it mainly because of the spicy sauce.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:42
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! That sounds great. Wonder where I can find that sauce.

Well, there's recipes on the Internet, but sounds like quite a job to make!

http://www.culinarybook.com/sidedis...uce-recipe.html

I wonder if an Indian store might have it? Wrong continent but perhaps?

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Sep-05-05 at 09:47.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:47
Registered Member

Default quick cold tomato soup

So, the original recipe I made with full fat cheese and hunks of raw meat thrown in, I can't see anyone here wanting that so...

-Throw a bunch of tomatoes in the blender and if you need protein add some chunks of jerky. Make sure you know how much you put in so you can total up the amount of protein in your final count. Empty the liquid into a bowl
-add some worsteshire sauce, salt, pepper, and a handful of grated non or low fat cheese - the most flavourful/tangy you can find
-if you want to get creative throw in some sauteed zuccini or other veggies, but I've always just eaten it as a simple, thick soup.

Another simple recipe:
bake some white fish in foil - serve with diced stewed tomatoes and dill. Practically non fat with a ton of protein from the fish. I don't usually eat this with dieting because I love mayo with it too.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow! That sounds great. Wonder where I can find that sauce.

I'll ask my friends, they seem to have family in every corner of the country and globe - who all have connections to Etheopian food We just moved to Germany and what do you know - they've got relatives not too far from us who a) know where to shop and b) get shipments of food - like the rest of the family abroad - from Etheopia. If nothing else, I'm sure you can order that stuff online. Let me find out exactly what it is!! For us it just comes in glass jars from our friends
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 10:03

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%
Default another jello type dessert

Thanks, you guys, for this thread. I'll be keeping track of it. I had forgotten, I used to make chai jelly. I use the bengal spice tea, green or black tea, gelatin, stevia and vanilla. Use Nancylc's basic recipe (above) or the recipe in Karen's book for coffee jelly for basic directions. Actually, that's good too.~Gail
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 11:00
Experimenter

BF:

I find what I can't have in calories I like to make up for in spiciness!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 16:41
Experimenter

BF:

Someone posted this recipe for a pizza crust made of pureed chicken breast, egg and spices. Interesting! With some adaptation, or even without, it might be worthwhile for us!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...d=1#post5545843
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 01:23

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I just made a low cal chicken Tandoori. Find some Tandoori paste (comes in jars at your Asian shop) and mix it with low fat yogurt. Cut up chicken breasts into pieces and soak in the sauce for about 4 hours. Then bake. You can also skewer and grill, keeping coated with the sauce. This was really good.

I have also used a kind of mock no fat coconut milk that is available here (Aus.) to create curries. The ingredients for this involves using skim milk and coconut flavour- so perhaps one could create one. Good for doing Thai dishes.

Another good diet low cal dressing for salad is to spice up buttermilk with garlic and fave spices/herbs.

Val
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 01:27

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Nancy, do try the chicken pizza crust and report back! I wonder what one could do re toppings that would work for low cal? Maybe mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and chili. Top with a lower fat cheese and/or low fat sour cream? Any reason one couldn't use very lean hamburger instead of chicken?

Val