Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-12, 18:20
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalStan
You may be right, Mio. On page 67 he writes, "If you choose to regularly eat commercially produced grain-fed beef, chicken, and pork, try to limit yourself to the leanest cuts of these meats. Don't eat the skin on your chicken or turkey."

I understand his concern with omega-6 vs -3, but I'm not eating lean, dry cuts of meat. Just ain't happening!

Me too! Personally I think that eating real, whole lc foods has such great benefit to our bodies that it is well worth doing even if you can't afford expensive meat. Just my opinion, though. I guess I'll know for sure after a few decades of eating this way
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 08:32
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Well, I'm trying a Whole30 challenge starting today. But not in this lifetime am I going to discard the chicken/turkey skin. Those well-browned crispy bits are the tastiest part of the birds!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 10:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
Well, I'm trying a Whole30 challenge starting today. But not in this lifetime am I going to discard the chicken/turkey skin. Those well-browned crispy bits are the tastiest part of the birds!

Don't worry Peggy. Eating chicken skin is part of Whole30. It wouldn't be whole otherwise. Here are the guidelines:

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 11:00
Patience Personified

Thanks Bike2Work. I printed that out yesterday. I was taking the "lean" meat guideline too literally. Lord knows chicken skin is anything but lean.

Not going to try to begin a second website for paleo recipes, but merely created a new Primal/Paleo category on my existing blog. Also took the time to go in and "Primal/Paleo" tag all the recipes I think are Paleo-acceptable so the search engine will zero in on that when my regular Paleo visitors are looking for something via SEARCH. It's a plan for the time being. My Paleo visitors have heretofore always had to weed out Paleo recipes based on scrutinizing the ingredients list. Hopefully the new Primal/Paleo tag will prove to be helpful.

Last edited by Buttoni : Thu, Aug-16-12 at 11:06.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 12:45

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I live in an are where hunting is a way of life for most.

Turkey, (even wild duck will not compare to store bought), deer, elk are all lean. Bear, which people assume is high fat, is even lean right now (this is bear season for local hunters)...although they are eating berries like crazy because they will need to fatten up for hybernation.

Salmon is not all fatty. Chinook/king is the fattiest. Most stores sell sockeye because peop love the red color, but it is not that fatty. (the fattiest part is the belly, my fav).

I don't remember Audette talking much about omega's but many paleo types are aware of chemical concentrations in the fat.
I actually have the book close by.......
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 13:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Phinney and Volck talk about lean meats and hunter/gatherers. They fed the lean stuff to their dogs and mixed kept the fatty stuff for themselves. You can actually preserve things in fat, which they did. Making pemmican and such. There was quite the trade in Olichan fat, from a very fatty fish. They talked about the "Grease Trail" which was a trading route the native Americans had to get the great fat the coastal folks had.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-12, 07:03
Patience Personified

So I'll continue to enjoy my beloved crispy chicken skin, along with the fish oil I have been taking for 3 years now.