Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 11:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Donna-

Do you have any receipes for pizza? I could really go for some this weekend. I have made the Deep Dish Pizza Quiche from the receipe section on this forum.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 13:29
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hope you don't mind if I answer-

Pita Pizza - The Zone Diet Recipes

Ingredients
1 mini pita pocket, cut in half pizza-style (2 blocks carbohydrate) check package label
1 oz. reduced fat mozzarella cheese (1 block protein)
3 oz. lean Canadian bacon, or 3 oz. cooked skinless chicken breast or
4 1/2 oz. lean ground beef, cooked and drained (3 blocks protein)
Green pepper and onion, chopped, enough to top pizza
1 large tossed salad (1 block carbohydrate)
4 teaspoons olive oil and vinegar dressing (Four blocks fat)
1 plum (1 block carbohydrate)

Cooking Instructions
In non-stick pan lightly sprayed with vegetable spray, cook bacon for one minute, turning once. (Or broil hamburger meat, drain and crumble or broil skinless chicken breast strips. Saute vegetables to desired degree of tenderness. Put protein, then vegetables on pita rounds. Sprinkle each with cheese. Broil until cheese melts.
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 06:24

Thanks Chari. Any other receipes with more of a traditional type pizza with sauce I don't care too much for peppers and onions?
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 10:39

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayKNJ
Thanks Chari. Any other receipes with more of a traditional type pizza with sauce I don't care too much for peppers and onions?

Hi Chari and Sharon!

Chari-
Good call on the Zone recipe for pizza. This particular recipe for pizza was one of the first recipes I tried, but I must confess; being Italian, it did NOT taste much like pizza to me. Pre-LC (and The Formula), I had always made my own pizza from scratch, so it was just a matter of time before I “Zoned” my original recipe.

Sharon-
The basics you need to keep in mind while constructing your perfect slice are what you now consider at every meal: Carbs/Pro/Fats. When you start building your pizza, each plays a very important role.

The crust is a “biggie” for me since it’s about the taste and texture of the finished meal. I make my crust from scratch but I understand that most people just aren’t interested in going to that much work. If you decide to go that route, you may want to take your current recipe and roll it extra thin to get the most mileage out of the carbs. Being made from flour, the crust is the primary source for concentrated carbs. A quicker and tasty alternative would be to use a LC tortilla (Mission brand are very good for this) for the crust. It will bake up crispy and it is perfect portion control!

The sauce, which is also carbs, is what contributes a depth of flavor to the finished dish and although I used to make it completely from scratch, I now use this adaptation of my old recipe:

DONNA’S PIZZA SAUCE
15 oz. Commercial low sugar pizza sauce
Three 6 oz. Cans Hunt’s tomato pastej
2 TB dried basil
2 tsp. Garlic powder

Combine in saucepan and heat to simmer. Cool and divide into 5 portions of approx. 3/4 cup each. Each portion will top one 13 X 9 pizza.

For the sausage, you could purchase ready made Turkey Italian Sausage at the store which is OK…but I prefer to make my own which is very easy. I find the store type is sometimes dry and a bit rubbery in addition to being rather bland in taste. If you’re up for it, try this one, which is a “Zoned” version of my original recipe:

DONNA’S ITALIAN SAUSAGE
1 lb. Lean ground pork
2 lb. Ground turkey breast
1 TB olive oil
2 ˝ TB+ ground fennel seed (or leave whole)
1 ˝ tsp. Black pepper
2 TB dry parsley
1 tsp. Sweet paprika
1 ˝ tsp. Salt
3 ˝ tsp. Dry basil
1 ˝ tsp. Dry oregano
4 ˝ tsp. Garlic powder
1 TB sugar sweetness equivalent
1 tsp. Accent (optional)
3 tsp. Crushed red pepper (optional)

Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Refrigerate at least one hour. Pan fry over medium heat, breaking up large clumps as it cooks. Cool and divide into 4 portions. Each portion will top one 13 X 9 pizza.

The cheese adds some protein, but mostly fat to the dish. REAL pizza is made with WHOLE milk mozz, but for Zone purposes, the part skim (or low fat) type works quite well as long as you don’t go overboard with the quantity (and let’s all confess here that we really like our pizza with EXTRA cheese!!!) To top a 13 X 9 pizza, I use approx. 4 oz. (1 cup) that is mixed with 1/4 cup parmesan/romano cheese. This combo doesn’t keeps the fat in check and still retains the integrity of the creamy, melty cheese you’ve come to love on real pizza.

Using my recipe which includes homemade crust, sauce, cheese, sausage, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms, AND a drizzle of olive oil, I usually get 8 slices out of a 13 x 9 pan.

Per Slice:
Cals: 224
Carb: 20 g (33%)
Pro: 16g (39%)
Fat: 9g (36%)

I eat two slices which is a satisfying quantity (although I SWEAR I could eat double that!!!) and I keep to my calorie allowance. I love the fact that I can actually eat MY pizza and stay in the “Zone!”
If you let me know what your preferences are, I can work with you to customize your slice!
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 13:50

Thanks Donna-

I really like the receipe for homemade sausage. I never made my own pizza dough however I can buy one at the grocery store or even Pillsbury makes one in a roll out tube like their biscuits and rolls are in. As far as the sauce I use Hunts too and doctor it up.

I have made pizza with taco meat with mushrooms and olives and used cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella.
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 16:21

Oh...I have NO doubt that the taco one was EXCELLENT! Remember, the taco meat may have been higher in fat if you used regular ground beef so to "Zone" it, you would have to use a combination of very lean and not so fat ground meat. Mushrooms are an excellent choice - good carbs and low in calories! I had to eliminate the black olives from my final pizza (at great distress I might add) because they too are high in fat...good fat, but still FAT so out they went. And if you used 2% cheddar you made a great choice, but regular cheddar would contain too much fat for the "Zone."

I am not 'scolding' you, just giving you a 'head-up' about the things that are OK to eat unrestratined on Atkins that are not such good choices in the same quantities on the "Zone."

I think that you could certainly use the roll out dough, but you would have to roll it out VERY thin. You should also consider using a whole wheat one (if they have one) instead of the fluffy white flour one since at least you'll get some fiber to moderate the high-glycemic affect of the white flour.

Hunts makes a GREAT pizza sauce!

Try your idea and make yourself a small pizza using some of the suggestions I made. FOR SURE try the sausage! I am sure you'll love it! Then see how you feel after 3-4 hours. IF you are ravenously hungry, then you probably had too much carb for the amount of protein you ate. IF you aren't hungry at all or just a little hungry, then you know that you were right on with your macros!

The only way you're going to know for sure is to try out your idea. It might work great for you and if not, you can just tweak the amounts!

I sure do LOVE pizza!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...!
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 06:39

Thanks Donna! I appreciate ANY and ALL advise. I do realize that while Zoning I need to use ground turkey instead of ground beef or I even use ground buffalo meat. I have switched over to the 2% cheeses and mozzeralla w/part skim instead of whole milk.
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 06:46

Last night I made a cheesecake, a receipe out of the formula book. I enjoyed eating a slice of the PB sheesecake every night and now it is all gone so I made a cheesecake.

Today I am going to make pizza with turkey sausage and I am making turkey chili. I really am enjoying this WOL, it is a way I can live and enjoy foods and I am not as afraid to go out to functions like I used to be on Atkins.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 07:37

I made the pizza yesterday and I did stay with one slice/one serving but I did get hungry after about 2.5 hours. I did make a spinach side salad with it. Maybe I needed a little more protein.

The cheesecake was really good too.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayKNJ
I made the pizza yesterday and I did stay with one slice/one serving but I did get hungry after about 2.5 hours. I did make a spinach side salad with it. Maybe I needed a little more protein.

The cheesecake was really good too.

Sharon-
Glad that you tried the pizza experiment. Now you know that you will probably have to include more protein on your next one -OR-, instead of having a side salad, you may need to eat TWO slices.

I know that if I were going to eat pizza 'out' I would order a thin crust pizza with my favorite toppings and get double meat. Of course this would make the pizza more calories per slice, but I think eliminating the side salad and having 1-2 slices (depending on my hunger level) would keep me nicely in the "Zone." The next time you make your pizza, try these suggestions and you will probably notice a big difference in how long you can go between meals.

I agree that this is a great WOE. And like you, I find that I can easily go out and eat almost everything without that dreaded "fear!" This past weekend, I spent time with some old friends. On Friday night we went out for a Milwaukee traditional fish fry. When my plate arrived, it had 3 small pieces of battered and deep fried fish, a tiny dish of creamy coleslaw, and a slice of bread with a pat of butter. (I asked the waitress NOT to bring me any french fries.) I quickly scanned my plate to assess my options (and roughly calculate the macros) and did the following:

The bread was hard so I removed it from my plate. I ate a few pieces of fish and then had some coleslaw. Since the fish was battered, I knew that I would be OK regarding the carbs, but I asked for another serving of coleslaw. The coleslaw was the creamy kind, and since the fish was deep fried, I probably had a little more than the appropriate amount of fats. However, 4 hours later, I was still satisfied. Now obviously, this wouldn't have been my first choice of meals as I have become rather picky about where I choose to spend my carb and fat allowance. But even when faced with very limited choices, I was able to find a way to make the meal 'work' and no ravenous hunger -OR- digestive distress. This is why The Formula (Zone) works so well in the real world.

The remainder of the weekend was filled with lots of good food and conversation and I was able to enjoy the rest of my visit without being fearful of eating "bad" foods. There are NO bad foods; only BAD portions!

Sharon, did you use the refrigerator dough for the crust? And how did the chili turn out? That is one of my favorite recipes (but I admit that I use a combination of ground turkey breast and 90% lean ground beef. I think the beef gives it a bit "richer" taste. What did you think of the finished recipe?

Oh...I love the cheesecake too. I did make a few changes to the original recipe to include lemon juice and grated rind. But I have to admit that it is really nice to have a sweet-creamy dessert that is a balanced snack! How great is that?!!!!!
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 11:05

Donna-

I did use the refrigerated pizza dough by Pillsbury. Originally I bought 90% lean ground beef and a package of the turkey. Instead of making one pot I made two seperate chili's. One for my daughters using the beef and one for me using the turkey. Next time around I will use a mixture of the two. It tastes like it needs something so the beef will probably give it that extra flavor and fat.

I have five slices of pizza left and I have three turkey sausages left so I will make the sausage and incorporate it with my slices I have left and see how that works.

Last edited by ShayKNJ : Mon, Jun-12-06 at 11:24.
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 15:01

Sharon-
Yes! I think that adding more turkey sausage to the pizza will probably help a lot. I like that you are willing to be flexible with the macros. Sometimes, it is easy to get discouraged when you are continuously hungry and don't see any progress. Now that you have been doing this for a little while, do you notice any other benefits from the more 'moderate' approach to eating? Like are you sleeping better? Are you more focused? Do you have your cravings under control now?

I put my mom on this program and the first thing she noticed (besides losing 3 lbs. of bloat the first week) is that her heartburn went away and she now sleeps through the night. How about you?
  #163   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 07:21

Donna-

That is one thing I haven't had a problem with is sleep. I sleep very well. I do believe I have more energy and a clearer thinking were as before I could be in a fog.

Last night I didn't have the time to make the sausage but I did eat 1/2 a serving of turkey chili and a slice of pizza. Who would think you could maintain your weight eating pizza, chili and a slice of cheesecake? This is why I am enjoying this WOE and WOL. You are not restricted as to what you can and can not have. Everything can be allowed in proper protions.