Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 20:02

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question Antibiotics

So, I've had a problem with yeast overgrowth for several years now. It seems to be worse for the first year or so after each of my C-Sections. I think this is due to pregnancy hormones and the mega doses of antiobiotics administered during and after the surgery.

Here's my question. I've had a sore throat for 2 weeks now and actually thought it left sometime this past weekened. However, it's back today. I haven't been taking my allergy pill, so it could just be drainage. Also, it seems lots of people have come down with colds which seems to include a sore throat. I was given a treatment of antiotics last week and haven't started them, hoping it would go away on it's own. I could just take them and give no thought to my gut flora and yeast overgrowth, but anyone who has suffered from yeast issues knows how miserable it can be. So...at what point do you just decide it's time to start the antibiotic? Doctors here write scripts for antiobiotics left and right, regardless of whether is just a virus. If there's redness, they give you and antibiotic.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 10:46

Plan: Atkins, Anti-Candida diet
Stats: 128/121.2/118 Female 5'5"
BF:hip/waist ratio
Progress: 68%

yeah, I know how desperate yeast issues can make you. And how yeast problems lower the quality of life down to pretty much NOTHING.

I am not a doctor, but from my own experience:

First, what I always do for my sore throat: get sage tea , that is great for sore throats. Does the pain "travel" around your throat, such as spreading to the sides and/or goes down into your upper and lower respiratory track? Is your throat very sore and it's painful to swallow upon waking up, and it's getting worse little by little every day? If this is happening, then most likely you have a bacterial infection...

Second, start taking mega doses of multivitamin. Especially Vit.C. 3000mg or more daily.The brand I have a great experience with is Nature's Plus - Source of Life. Also, start eating raw garlic. Two cloves a day: pealed and shredded , swallow with water. Garlic will boost your immune system and help with battling whatever bug you have.

Third, if you start taking antibiotics, make sure you are taking high doses o probiotics 3-4 hours after you've taken antibiotics...this way, you will maintain your good gut flora during the treatment. Do you have an experience with boric acid? I use it all the time for vaginal yeast infections. It works like a charm.

Can you go back to your doctor and request a swab test of your throat? Tell him you are concerned it's just a virus and that you don't want to take yet another round of antibiot....he/she should understand that.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 12:07

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

Antibiotics have caused me a lot of heartache so I wouldn't take them on less you have to. If yo do also take a good probiotic along with it.

Doctors are less likely to dole out antibiotics here than at one time I think because they cause so many other issues.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 12:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

When I lived in Europe, if the doctor gave you antibiotics, he also gave you probiotics or at least told you to eat more natural live yogurt while taking it. may lessen the impact on the Candida.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-13, 21:45

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thank you all! I did end up having to take the antibiotic. I had the sore throat for 3 weeks and started running high temps. I kind of wish I would have taken it before all of that. I had a prescription for it after only 3 days of soreness because I had taken my baby for a well check. The doctor went ahead and wrote me the script. I filled it and held onto it for weeks. It became obvious that it was getting worse and then I started having a fever. I've heard mixed reports about the efficacy of probiotics, but I'm thinking it can't hurt! I don't know where I'd find them here, but surely they must be available. If not, I'll just have to include that in my next order from iherbs. com. Thank you all!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 07:21

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

Well if you cant get then in tablet form you will find then in food sources like bio yogurt with live cultures, can you get those little yogurt drinks that have probiotics? . Not sure how effective they are in food though.

Water from a well helps I think but dont quote me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 11:55

Plan: No specific plan
Stats: 185.0/171.8/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I'm sorry you ended up having to take it (I know I'm late to this thread). I'm glad you didn't just run out and fill an rX for something you weren't sure you needed, though. Allergies and colds can be annoying, but they're not antibiotic worthy. I even wonder if your cold or virus beat your immune system down to the point where you got a bacterial infection and needed the antibiotics. Kudos to you for sticking it out, though. I know how bad the side effects of antibiotics can be. Hope it wasn't too bad for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
Thank you all! I did end up having to take the antibiotic. I had the sore throat for 3 weeks and started running high temps. I kind of wish I would have taken it before all of that. I had a prescription for it after only 3 days of soreness because I had taken my baby for a well check. The doctor went ahead and wrote me the script. I filled it and held onto it for weeks. It became obvious that it was getting worse and then I started having a fever. I've heard mixed reports about the efficacy of probiotics, but I'm thinking it can't hurt! I don't know where I'd find them here, but surely they must be available. If not, I'll just have to include that in my next order from iherbs. com. Thank you all!!