Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-17, 22:03

Plan: Low carb diet
Stats: 225/200/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default New to low carb dieting

I am 50 years old 5'5" 200 pounds I have been doing a low carb diet for the past month and a half. I lost 25 pounds in the first 4 weeks and my weight loss has stalled. I am trying to keep my total carbs at around 30 per day and calories below 1000. Am I eating too many carbs at 30 a day? Please I need some advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 05:16
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

HUGE Congrats on losing 25 lbs in your first 4 weeks! That's AWESOME!

I don't think 30 carbs is too many for you since you've managed to lose 25 lbs in a month! True stalls last for 6 or more weeks...

I know we're impatient to see the scales move downward every single day.

Remember that weight loss is not linear. If you stick to what you're doing, you'll eventually see the scales move again! Sometimes our clothing is a better indicator of "fat" loss than that demonic evil contraption we call a scale!

My two cents worth: if you are stalled for a long time try one of the well-established low carb WOE plans... and don't eat off plan ever...

Wishing you continued success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 07:33

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Wow. 25 pounds is a LOT of weight to drop in that time frame! Good job!

Your body doesn't know what hit it.. remember, its control room is without windows trying to figure out what's going on out in the world. Right now its thinking there may be a famine, and is adjusting resource uses..

Hang in there. Keep doing what you were. Track, don't cheat, and keep going! Sometimes a slow down is your body weight shifting around.

I'm 58, been doing this since May and have lost over 30 lbs. it definitely has slowed down for me. BUT, I'll drop a pound or two, go awhile with nuthin' and suddenly look like I dropped 5 or 10 because my weight redistributed. And my clothing will be looser!

Would I want this to drop all at once? Heck yeah! Am I discouraged? Hell yeah! But I see how much better I feel, and how easy this WOE has been versus being hungry all the time.

I'm wearing clothes I haven't fit in for years! and just yesterday walked past a mirror and did a double-take. Whoa! Is that ME?! Sometimes I don't recognize my thinner self.

I always try to remember; eating the standard American diet, I just kept gaining (and gaining!) If I stay on this course, this will slowly keep coming off. What's the alternative? if I quit, it's only going to all come back and MORE!

You can do this!! Keep it up, and it will drop again, and again, and again!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 12:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

A fair amount of what you initially lost will be water, after that big a loss in one month, it's likely your body's just regaining some of the water it's lost while continuing to burn through fat stores. I'm not always successful in this, but I try to pay more attention to my food scale than my bathroom scale on a day to day basis, you have to stay consistent long enough to know for sure what's going on.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 08:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Emily,

Congrats on the weight loss! That is so good. I am so jelly you are about to enter one-derland. Being under 200lbs (even if it is just 199.99999lb) is my "first" goal weight. I never want to see the 200's again. I know it is hard to hear but just continuing this path and waiting for time to pass is going to get you to where you want to be. Hang in there.

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 08:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Is jelly jealous? Happy for?

Feelin' old.

Or maybe just feeling not from the east coast or something.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/134 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Congrats on the loss. But only 1000 calories? That is really low. Maybe bump it up to 1200-1300, 1000 seems almost too low.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 11:56

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Yeah, jelly is short for jealous/envious. I work with a bunch of millennials and they have their own language at times. Fun group though.

Kathy