Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269.1/260.8/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile Hi, new here and looking for support.

Hi Everyone!

This is probably my 5th time returning to low carb eating. This last round I've been low-carbing since February and lost about 20 pounds. I was on a different support site that I really liked but there weren't enough members, just about 4 people posting and the rest kind of disappeared after a week. So hoping to find more people on here.

I like to cook and as soon as I get a journal up and running I'll share recipes. I'm looking forward to hear what you guys have tried. I'm currently at 20 carbs a day.

I've had success with low carbing in the past but it seems like this time my metabolism is really shot and weight loss has been very slow.

I have a lot of health issues I'm trying to support. Please share with me any advice on your own experiences with any of these and how low-carbing affected them.

hypothyroidism
insulin resistance
PCOS
re-occurring pre-cancerous cells in my uterus
infertility issues

Pre-cancerous cells- This worries me the most. I was just on Megace for 3 months, a medicine that blocks estrogen and shrinks abnormal cells that need estrogen to grow such as pre-cancerous and cancerous cells. My doctor told me that excess body fat causes peripheral estrogen so loosing weight might help keep me off the medicine. The medicine makes me feel exhausted and causes weight gain and all sorts of not fun stuff. I'm very happy to be off the meds after my last clear biopsy (that was a week ago.) I just need to loose weight.

PCOS-a low carb diet is recommended. I've also had ovarian wedge resection to correct this.

Endometriosis- Diet doesn't affect this but I've had surgery to remove it but it may come back.

Insulin resistance- I've heard that low carb dieting can help at first but that increased weight training with moderate carbs is better to correct it. Can anyone back that up? I'm thinking of going to a nutritionist for some guidance.

Infertility issues- Weight-loss can increase your chances to get pregnant.

At my heaviest I was 260 I went on and off low carb for a while and began low carbing again at 245 lbs this past February and now I'm at 221.4 and fluctuating. Ok well I have to run soon but I look forward to meeting you guys and loosing some weight!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 11:18

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Peaceful. Welcome to a good place for conversation and support. You'll notice there are many forums focusing on specific issues, so read around. Lots of good cooks here!

A good place to start getting your Low-carb groove back is to read some excellent books on the subject. Any Atkins book, but Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution is a good one. Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat. Wheat Belly (not specifically low-carb--but an interesting approach to lots of health issues). Check out what others on this forum are reading. Buy a couple of books for your permanent library and refer to them often.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 11:26
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Bkloots! I'll be sure to investigate the forum more. I have the New Diet Revolution and I've read that one but it's been a while, I could probably go back and read it again. I'll look into the other books too. Thank you!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 13:08

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi there. I had some precancerous cells there many years ago and my gyno used extreme cold to kill them. To my knowledge there's been no recurrence. I am totally sold on low carb - I've been doing it in earnest since last August and have lost nearly 40 lb. I feel so much better in every way.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Lulumae!

Thanks for sharing that with me. I'll have to talk to my doctor about the extreme cold option if they come back. My doctor had me go in for a biopsy every 6 months. So far the pre-cancerous cells seem to return. I'm hoping with weightloss they won't but even with a few good biopsies in a row they recommend yearly biopsies for life. It might be a good idea to recheck it after the extreme cold method.

That's wonderful to hear you've lost 40 pounds! Congratulations!!! ::

I've felt a lot better since I started too. I had some ankle swelling that's disappeared since changing to low carb eating and I really do feel like my appetite is under control and the meals are just amazing! I'm just trying to get a blog started on here so I can post recipes and progress.

It's so nice to meet you guys! Keep in touch!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 14:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hypothyroid might be more related to wheat/gluten consumption than low carb. Some people with Hashimoto's hypothyroid do go into remission and I think your chances are better if you go gluten free.

Weight loss with un, or under, treated hypothyroid can be impossible though. So get it treated if you haven't already.

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com is a good site to get educated on thyroid.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 14:57
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Nancy LC,

Thanks for that website! I've already started to read it. My fertility doctor has talked to me about needing T3 too. He has me doing a temperature and pulse survey and then after reviewing that he's going to change my meds up.

I didn't know about gluten-free diet helping. On a low carb diet wheat has been all but removed unless in small amounts. I know gluten is in sauces and all sorts of things. I'll have to read up on that...maybe I'm getting more then I think.

Thanks for the information!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh, trust me wheat is in loads of low carb things:

Low carb tortillas
Wraps
Bars
Candies
low carb bread

Anything with the ingredient "malt" like malt vinegar, or malt used as sweetener sometimes.

It is insane what all they put wheat (gluten) into.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, May-31-13 at 15:14.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 15:08
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Nancy,

I have a friend with celiac's disease and she's talked about how wheat/gluten is in almost everything. That's good to know about the 'malt' I'll be sure to avoid the LC tortillas, wraps, bars and candies. I'm sure I won't avoid it completely but that'll help cut back. :0)

Thanks again!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 15:57

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Agreed on the gluten - I cut it out due to inflamation and it made a significant difference to me - and that stuff is in EVERYTHING. Insane.

Gelato has gluten...seriously, why on earth? But there you go.

Good luck that this time is the last time, you can do it!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Teresa!

I've been looking up gluten free things to compare with what I've been eating. Looks like coconut, almond and pecan flour are gluten free and so is Walden farms sauces. That's good. I'll have to check my whey protein powder.

Thanks for your vote of confidence! I agree, I can do this!