Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 20:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 443/374/200 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 28%
Talking Hi ya all

Hello All,
Let me introduce myself, I am Mary from northern Oregon. I am 50 years old and have been a diabetic for 10 years. I have been on all kinds of meds for this condition, and have gained weight in the ten years to excied 400lbs! Mostly on a so called balenced diet! I got to the point I had to use a cane to walk and it was hard to even bath!! I was so dicused by myself, I cryed myself to sleep every night!!! I was wishing I would just die!!

I had been looking into the low carb diets that everyone was talking about and learned alot from them. I asked my doctor if going on it would be ok because of all the health benifits it had for the diabetic, but only got the same old yad-a-yaddda they all preach " going on that FAD diet isn't what I would recomend for you" so instead of even looking into it she reccomended me to see a dietitian.That just told me all you need to do is exercize and stop eating!! sure any one would lose weight that way I said to myself, everyone but me....... I was in constant pain and just to walk across the bed room floorwas agony for me. I hardly eat as it was and for some damn reason I was still FAT!!!
Until one day I was so upset I just said if this kills me then so be it!!! {I'm not saying going against your doctor is always the best to do, but I was disparate.} I didn't want to live like this any way!! So I started to reread my books on low carb and searching the web. I found a site on low carb menus and printed it off, went to the store and bought all I needed. Geeeze, there was so much food much more than I was use to eatting!! {I found out later that not eatting makes your matabalism slow to almost nothing} I kept thinking that theres no way I can be losing, but everytime I went to the doctor I lost!!!! Everytime!!!
I have now thrown away my cane and my ugly toilet thing to make it easier for me to get up and down on it!! Taking a bath not a shower is fun again!!! And yes I now am taking walks. Yeah!!!!!!
I was on shots and a hand full of pills 3x's a day for high blood pressure, high amounts of cholesterol, pain and diabetics My cholesterol is below the norm and my blood pressure is almost normal and I am off shots and all but one pill for my diabetics.
I am so happy on this diet it is unreal but now, I have a problem..... I was on a drug called Metfoman and had some really bad reactions from it with this diet. I have since stopped the drug but, am still having problems with lactic acid being high in my blood. I am looking for Ideas to counter this effect. If you have any imformation you can share please feel free to share!! My doctor just suggested I eat more carbs possiablly, but....... I really am not ready to go down that road I am afraid it may lead to my slipping. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!! There really is alot of bad side effects from lactic acid and I know there has to be a NATURAL way to get rid of lactic acid building up in your blood.
My doctor with seeing my success has jump on the band waggon so to speak, and has also lost some weight and praises my efforts everytime I see her. She once told me she was fearful I would end up having to have a GI bypass before I would ever loose any weight.

Thanks for reading this and for your time.

Your friend always, Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 20:54

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Welcome aboard!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 22:45

Stats: 350/199/180 Male 5'9"
BF:52%/ 18% /10%
Progress: 89%

Hi and welcome to the forum
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 23:19
Registered Member

Stats: 443/374/200 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Thanks

Thanks Eric,
A big congrates to you on you wonderful weight loss. I am proud for you!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 03:05

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Safflower (an herb) is absolutely jumping out at me to rid the body of lactic acid. I used Nature's Sunshine brand and was quite pleased with it. Your body needs to be alkalized, so look at green things to eat, veggies. Eat so many that you can and stay on your plan.. Also you can add a little fresh lemon juice to your water. Lemon isn't acidic in the body.

You are right about the protein complicating your problem. Maybe you can calculate the minimum amount of protein you need to maintain lean muscle mass and just eat that amount. You need protein. There are different idea out there about how much protein a person needs.

I am just throwing a few ideas your way. I hope you find the help you need.

Congrats on your fabulous loss.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 09:01

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 176/171/126 Female 165 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 10%

HI There,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place. You will find lot of information, help and support you need.
Wish you good luck!!