Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hydrocut, ripped fuel, xenadrine questions.

Has anyone hypothyroid tried the thermogenic products to aid in weight loss or energy, such as hydrocut, ripped fuel, xenadrine. All the product info says caution for those with thyroid and blood pressure concerns. Have both, but blood pressue is controlled with meds. They look so promising but I also don't want to take things foolishly.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:17
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Personally, I wouldn't take them. I DID try Metabolite (a Metabolife knockoff). They made me feel sick. The thyroid warning is basically for those with hyperthyroid, because these kinds of suppliments up your metabolism. I asked my doctor about that. You might want to ask your doctor if there is a drug interaction between these products and your medication.

HOWEVER, anything with ephedrine can cause psychological side effects. They have been banned by the NFL. My mother took ephedrine based products and they made her quasi-suicidal. Then she read an article and saw where ephedrine can cause psychosis in some people. I am not sure if the products you mentioned are made with ephedrine, but please be careful.

Paleoanth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks Paleonatha. When something sounds too good to be true it never hurts to check further. I was hyper, had the iodine radiation 8 yrs. ago and have been hypo every since. I won't ever forget the heart palpatations, blurred vision and shakes I had before discovered I had Graves. Being hypo brings about new problems, but other than the weight gain they are more managable that thinking your going to stroke out at 36.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 09:11

Plan: Diabetic diet
Stats: 172/160/135
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default do not take hydroxycut!

My daughter took Hydroxycut in spite of the warning (she is 20 with only 10% of her thyroid).

Her TSH shot up from 3.0 to 40.77 and her Free T3 dropped down to 2.1 (low lab range of 2.3)....she also gained 20 lbs even though she worked at a fitness center and was doing A HARD 2 1/2 HR WORKOUT, 7 DAYS A WEEK!

If thyroid is a condition listed, don't take it! somehow, it interfers with thyroid hormone.

Try supplementing with Selenium (no more than 300 mcg as it can be toxic at high levels) This mineral comes from our food and much of our soils are deficient. This mineral is necessary to convert T4 to T3