Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 13:21

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Question Tried STEVIA--Didn't Sweeten, Wasn't Bitter, Gotta Headache

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well today.

I decided to try the natural sweetener Stevia for use in herbal tea (iced and hot).

After spending $13.99 for a 2oz. bottle of drops, I had hoped and prayed the money was well-spent. Not so. This is only my experience, but I would LOVE to hear your experiences with this product.

Firstly note, I tried it in quite a few different beverages, both hot and cold, and got pretty much the same results each time: Never got a bitter taste, but never really got a sweet taste, either.

But I did get a couple of headaches (I NEVER get headaches EVER), and I was wondering if they could be attributed to the stevia product?

Also, my personal observation on this as a sweetener is that it only gives a perceived sweetness, not an actual sweetness. I only "sensed" a sweetness one time in a rasberry herbal tea, but the sensation was only after swallowing the tea, and noting a tiny hint of sweet aftertaste.

Totally weird, and a waste of $14 in my opinion. I wish I could take it back, but I don't have the cajones to return it just because I didn't get the touted action.

Anyway, has anyone else tried and experienced these things with stevia, including any headaches?

Thanks all! --Betty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 07:42

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

I live in a large city with a lot of hf stores and the groceries are very competitve with one another so I easily can find different brands. If you live where that is not true it could be limiting I imagine or spend a fortune on sh & handling charges.

I have grown to love Stevia, at first I had similar reactions that you did and found some to be bitter, but then it became my norm. I think brands make a difference also. 'Sweet Leaf' being my favorite (I also found with all a light touch is best)I find their 'Stevia plus' better to cook with --but-- not very strong in the sweetening dept. I found the 'NOW'brand less satisfactory.

My favorite is 'Sweet Leaf's'stevia extract(not liquid) that lists ingredients as ; "100% pure stevia leaf extract standardized to a minimum of 90% Steviosides,including 40% Rebaudioside A"--I don't know what all that means but it tastes good !(probably refers to quality and purity) online they are www.wisdomherbs.com I buy the .9oz jar for $8.+ and it lasts me about 6 months.

I would say if you do not like what you bought, take it back for a refund.

I have never had headaches because of it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't affect you differently. Your headache could be from feeling you wasted good $s.

I have read in articles on stevia that using it helps to curb sugar cravings as part of the nature of the herb. Of course proper diet does also as we on this bd. know--but it can take time and persistance--I know it has for me.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:26

BF:

Thank you for your input, rosarugosa! I would also love to hear from others, especially regarding the possible hidden ingredients in this stuff. The label does not list the complete ingredients. It must have water or glycerine in it, right? Yet it doesn't list it.

I read a thread int he low carb general forum yesterday that says some people are sensitive to glycerine, so perhaps this is why I got a headache?

Yes, I live in an area heavily populated with health food stores, and have seen many brands of the stevia. (Thankful for all the choices I have of where to purchase these oddball items. ) The one I purchased was the Sweet Leaf liquid drops in the 2 oz bottle from Whole Foods. The lady there recommended that brand, saying that most of their customers preferred it, so I figured I would try that one. Plus it was actually 50 cents cheaper.

I think it's great that stevia works well for others, but for me, I guess it just doesn't make sense. If in the beginning I am not fond of it, I personally don't need a sweet flavor in my tea bad enough to keep using it until I acquire a taste for it, if you get what I mean. To me, if it tastes good when I first try it, then I see value in it. Otherwise, none.

If I don't like it now, or don't realize the sweetness it purports to lend, and if it gives me headaches, what value can I possibly find it in the future?

I'm really happy that you and others have found stevia to be a nice addition to your food choices--too bad I'm such a dork that I can't even taste the sweet in it! And I got a couple of headaches to boot! BTW, have not had a headache since stopping using the stevia, and I truly believe THAT was indeed what gave me the headache (not the $14 wasted on it ).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 16:00

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Stevia

Hi:

Hubby and I both switched from sugar to Stevia when we chose to adopt the low-carb WOE. If my hubby has any sugar, he gets an allergic reaction, sniffles and congestion etc. He used to have two cups of regular coffee each morning with 2 tsp. of sugar in each cup. I bought him a package of Stevia pills - I pop one into his decaf coffee every morning. He suffers no side effects and is satisfied with the sweetness. For me, I find even one pill too sweet so I use the drops - 3 drops of liquid Stevia per cup of decaf or decaf tea.
When we have whipped cream, I use about 5 or 6 drops of Stevia and a few drops of real vanilla and it tastes super.
Does anybody know if there is a Stevia cookbook? I would like to make a few desserts but really dislike using AS.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 08:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

Suni

I found your comment about your husband's sniffles very interesting. I was plagued with chronic sniffles even was taking Allegra for a while to try clear it up. Didn't work. Every day, I sounded to people like I had a headcold.

Since I started TSP in May I have been almost sniffle free. I've been curious why that might be and I was thinking it might be the absence of white flour but after your comment I'm wondering if the sniffles came from the huge amount of aspartame I used to consume. Hmmm...

Anyone else noticed this effect?

Susan
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 09:10

BF:
Default Sniffles

Good Morning:

In TSP Dianna Schwarzbein writes two or three paragraphs about how sugar and how it affects the gylcemic index inturn affects our bronchial tubes.
As a concession to my husband joining me in this WOE, on Saturday's I make a pot of real (decaf) coffee. During the week we have a cup of decaf tea because its faster and I'm tied to a bus schedule. He mentioned that he'd like to try a bit of sugar in his coffee on Saturday mornings instead of Stevia. So to placate him I put in two cubes of raw sugar. Before TSP he'd have three cubes in his coffee, now he finds two too sweet. Within a half hour he was sneezing, his nose was congested and he had the sniffles so bad he had to take an Allegra to combat the allergic reaction. The first time this happened we didn't clue in but after ingesting sugar three or four times on different occasions, it became obvious that sugar was triggering his allergies. He is now a devout Stevia fan. Whether AS triggers allergies, I don't know because I/we won't use them or have them in the house. Even when I/we were trying to loose weight on our low-fat diet, neither of us drank diet pop or pop of any kind. Hope this helps.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 11:27

Suni, thanks.

I guess I didn't pick up the paragraphs you refer to in Dr. S's book but there seems to be a correlation - albiet unscientific. Thanks for the additional info.

Since I don't miss the sniffles or sugar, or sweenter in any way, I probably won't experiment too much for the cause. But it's nice to have the awareness. I'll especially enjoy the freedom from always being an arms reach away from Kleenex. Kachoo!!

Susan
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 18:44

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Stevia sucks.

Splenda sucks.

Saccharin sucks.

Aspartame sucks and gives me headaches. .

I've given up on all AS...none of them come even close to taking the place of sugar!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 21:20

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have to say, after trying Stevia I was terribly underwelmed by the results. I tried it in oatmeal and never got a sweet taste. I don't drink any thing excet water and plain carbonated water, so I have no need for a sweetner any more. I have given up oatmeal, because it is only good sweet with butter and cream. I would rather do with out than settle for a dim substitue. It did not give me a headache. My 2 cents
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 22:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by JudyAH
(snip)I would rather do with out than settle for a dim substitue. It did not give me a headache. My 2 cents

My sentiments <B>exactly</B>!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 16:14

BF:

Thanks all for your input here! I'm happy to hear that there are others that have not gotten the sweet out of stevia. I was hoping that my tastebuds weren't too out of whack. I always thought I had a really heightened sense of taste and smell, but questioned it after this problem.

Well, an update, I took the stevia back and with receipt in hand, got a refund (well, actually, they offered cash, but I opted for a credit, which I immediately used to purchase more mayo ).

The little man behind the customer service desk was like a little elf with a huge attitude. He went on and on and on for quite a few minutes about how he just couldn't believe I couldn't taste the sweetness in stevia. He railed me, actually, in his arrogant little 90-lb way, saying that I must not have used it properly.

I just politely stated that I am not a sugar user and can taste "sweet" in the air, yet I could not get my tea to sweeten using a substantial amount of stevia.

finally, he conceded that PERHAPS it was a bad bottle of stevia.

Afterward, when I was replaying the event in my mind, I had the terrible thought that the little elf probably thought that I poured out the stevia and saved it, replacing it with water, just to save $14, right? Believe me, the condescending way this person talked down to me, I'm sure that's exactly what he was thinking. I don't care anyway what he thinks.

Bottom line: stevia was the only non-sugar item I was willing to try for tea, but since it didn't work for me, no loss, no gain.

I do not crave sweets, I don't drink tea often, and when I do, I can enjoy it w/o sweeteners, so PHOOEY ON ELF BOY!

JudyAH, I haven't had oatmeal for about 3 weeks or so now (I'm super-low carbing it for breakfasts and lunches right now), but when I was having it, I would have it with fresh blueberries and cream and it was great!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 16:23

BF:
Default Stevia

I have three different kinds of Stevia at home. I have the drops which are fairly mild tasting. Then we have little pills that come in a flip top container and look much like a breath mint - they are supposed to be one little table = I tsp. of sugar. Then I have a loose Stevia that is very sweet. I use only 3 - 4 drops of the liquid when I drink decaf tea or coffee - my husband uses 1 tablet in his decaf tea and/or coffee and he finds it sweet enough for him - and he used to use two heaping teaspoons of sugar in each and every cup. Possibly you did get a "bum" batch of Stevia because we find our very sweet. I barely use the loose-ground Stevia because it is soooooo sweet, it is difficult to regulate.
Just on a personal note, I used Stevia because it is natural and not made of chemicals and leaves no aftertaste in my/our mouth. I am going to try substituting Stevia in some of the recipes, replacing Splendia and some of the others in the low-carb recipes.
I am really sorry to hear this didn't pan out well for you.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 22:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBetty
(snip)

The little man behind the customer service desk was like a little elf with a huge attitude. (snip) He railed me, actually, in his arrogant little 90-lb way, saying that I must not have used it properly.

(snip)
finally, he conceded that PERHAPS it was a bad bottle of stevia.

Afterward, when I was replaying the event in my mind, I had the terrible thought that the little elf probably thought that I poured out the stevia and saved it, replacing it with water, just to save $14, right? Believe me, the condescending way this person talked down to me, I'm sure that's exactly what he was thinking. I don't care anyway what he thinks.

(snip)

Naw, you used it right, there was nothing wrong w/ the bottle, and who the hell cares what the little dweeb thinks, anyway! You've pegged him as a "small man complex", and you're probably right. I think he was just POed because he had to get up off of FOURTEEN dollars...jeeze, that's usury!!!

Over many years I have used several different kinds of stevia...fresh stevia leaf, dried stevia leaf, stevia juice crystals, liquid, tablets and powder, and like you, I cannot get any sweet taste out of it at all! After so much, it just tastes like licorice, which is OK, but not in my coffee, please!!!

I am really very happy for all of you who can use the stuff, honestly. I really, really wish I could find an acceptable substitute for sugar, but there isn't one out there. I know. I've looked.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 13:41

Stats: 200/199/140
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default I have been using Stevia for ever...

I primarily like to use it in tea; however since I started Schwarzbein I am afraid to use it because there is conflicting information out there whether it affects insulin or not. I am drinking my licorice tea without it.....

I used to have a constant post nasal drip that is practically gone and I have only been doing Sbein for 5 days!!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 13:50

Hi locarbvev:

You mentioned your post-nasal drip has disappeared after TSP.

Mine too!

After 3 months of TSP I haven't missed it at all. I don't know why. I guess it might be that I've eliminated the mass quantities of aspartame I used to consume.

(p.s. I quit drinking tea altogether, too )

Susan.