Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 06:03

Plan: My Own
Stats: 252/236/180 Male 6
BF:31
Progress: 22%
Default Sugar Free My bum

LOL I have a funny story, I have been eating sugar free Popsicle's for about 10 days and haven't lost any weight and my blood sugar started going up...... So I put my denial glasses on and read the label and each pop had 4 grams of carbs GRrrrrr Now I am Popsicle free. Because I am diabetic low carbs for me is less than 15 a day anything higher is too much unless I exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 07:12

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Oh yeah, those "sugar free" label claims are bogus, I'm sorry you lost your popsicles! I know exactly how you feel. I miss SF Jello pudding. Sigh.

Glad you found the culprit!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 07:30

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I believe in what the Dr. Hellers had to say about some folks responding to the taste of sweet as if it were sugar(s). I don't use sf syrups, don't chew sf gum, drink diet sugar-free soda pop etc.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-16, 08:04
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I was a type 2 diabetic. Two years ago I was also very sensitive to carbs. Even 3 or 4 of the wrong carbs (easily digestible as in soups or in a stir-fry sauce) could spike my BG big time. The good news is that I appear to be less sensitive now. Putting in the time with this way of eating has made me less insulin resistant. The same amount of carbs in a stir fry sauce that caused me issues 2 years ago does very little to my BG now. I am more tolerant of carbs. I still eat low carb -- but don't need to stay as low on the carb count for good BG control. I'm not sure if this happens for everybody, but I am convinced that I've been able to reverse my diabetes. Maybe not all the way - but it is certainly better than it was before.

FYI: Here is one thing I have when I want a frozen treat...

Recipe for Low Carb Blender Sherbet

If you get popsicle molds, this zero carb sherbet might freeze up nicely and give you your popsicle option back.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 06:45

Default Thanks for feeling my pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaR
Oh yeah, those "sugar free" label claims are bogus, I'm sorry you lost your popsicles! I know exactly how you feel. I miss SF Jello pudding. Sigh.

Glad you found the culprit!

Yeah I see you have defied the a1c forever rule I haven't quite got back down below 6.5 but a fer more weeks and i should be there and off the Metformin in 2.5 more months
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 09:44

Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I believe in what the Dr. Hellers had to say about some folks responding to the taste of sweet as if it were sugar(s). I don't use sf syrups, don't chew sf gum, drink diet sugar-free soda pop etc.

When I fell off the wagon I started drinkin Diet Dew again, I feel so much better drinking ample amounts of H2O again I still drink Unsweetened Green tea with a sprinkle of cinnamon instead of coffee in the mornings at 4AM I stay away from the sugar alcohols also. If I need to chew on something i will gnaw on some deer jerky LOL

Last edited by IrishJerk : Wed, Nov-02-16 at 09:45. Reason: i to I
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-16, 09:56

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I was a type 2 diabetic. Two years ago I was also very sensitive to carbs. Even 3 or 4 of the wrong carbs (easily digestible as in soups or in a stir-fry sauce) could spike my BG big time. The good news is that I appear to be less sensitive now. Putting in the time with this way of eating has made me less insulin resistant. The same amount of carbs in a stir fry sauce that caused me issues 2 years ago does very little to my BG now. I am more tolerant of carbs. I still eat low carb -- but don't need to stay as low on the carb count for good BG control. I'm not sure if this happens for everybody, but I am convinced that I've been able to reverse my diabetes. Maybe not all the way - but it is certainly better than it was before.

FYI: Here is one thing I have when I want a frozen treat...

Recipe for Low Carb Blender Sherbet

If you get popsicle molds, this zero carb sherbet might freeze up nicely and give you your popsicle option back.

Yep two years ago I was at my BMI for my height and off my meds it can be done and after I was off it for 6 months before body took care of my BG. It took time. I am no Dr. but I honestly believe that if you take a pill to lower your BG your body slows down natural insulin production.

I call mine "Self inflicted Type 2" and it depends on the individual also some people just can't bounce back but you can most certainly cut back on the pill dose amount.

I was a hard core gym rat then, now I just ride my recumbent bike for a half an hour a day. Not to goal but I am going the right direction again, and it feels good.

Last edited by IrishJerk : Wed, Nov-02-16 at 10:02. Reason: Grammer
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 17:00

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Unfortunately, if you have a high basal insulin level (which doesn't necessarily correlate to BG), you need to lower it to lose weight. Your body doesn't get the signal to access it's fat stores if the insulin remains high. And for some of us, just sweetness alone (whether from natural or unnatural sources) will spike your insulin, or not allow it to come down. This is also true with lots of protein (spikes insulin, doesn't show up on your meter). So this can be why you don't lose weight. And each person has to find those foods that keep your insulin down (mostly fat), and keeps it down.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-16, 17:19

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Here is the thing with sweet...be it sugar substitutes, sugar alcohol & even some gluten products...they trigger the "sweet" meter in your brain that starts a new sweet craving which will put you on a unending sweet/carb rollercoaster.

If you do not want to have these cravings ditch all sweets, even the supposed guilt free substitutes! After a week or so of not consuming any sweets the cravings will go away! After a few months the thought of sweets just seems terrible...at least that is how is was for me!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 13:17

Default Whoo Who

Finally, my scale likes me again
I just need to be patient it takes time to undo 2 years of being off the wagon. I still do not have any ambition to ride my recumbent bike yet I did take the laundry off it...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-16, 21:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJerk
I still do not have any ambition to ride my recumbent bike yet I did take the laundry off it...

That's a start! My ambition to walk a mile at least once a day comes & goes. On my bad days my husband is pretty good about suggesting a walk.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-16, 04:39

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's a start! My ambition to walk a mile at least once a day comes & goes. On my bad days my husband is pretty good about suggesting a walk.

I have an active hobby that I do in the fall and winter, If you call Florida a winter land I do allot of Hiking in the woods looking for unsuspecting herbivores to put in my freezer. I will take up something else afterwards.