Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Lawry's Season Salt

Does anyone else use Lawry's Season Salt? I use it alot and just noticed the other day that the second ingredient is sugar. I searched through the threads and found one that said 1 teaspoon contains .6 carbs. Does anyone think that is too much carbs for a seasoning?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 14:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't know about too much carbs for a seasoning, but putting sugar on everything you eat can't be a good thing
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 14:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i use it all the time, but never noticed it had sugar! EEEK will have to start mixing straight garlic w/parsley.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:38

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

One of the first things that I did when I when low-carb was to go through the cupboards and refrigerator and get rid of anything with sugar in it. There were a few spice mixes that I tossed because they had sugar in them.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:41
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I allways used it before LCing. Then my hubby was bored one day and started reading the labels.. Next thing ya know he threw out alot of spices and bought all new ones that were sugar free. I can't even taste the difference.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/150/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 71%

wow, i have been using it too! I didn't think to look at the sugar in it, but don't seem to have any bad results. I may cut back now though
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 17:16

Plan: SB
Stats: 279/271.5/180 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 8%

.6 carbs in a teaspoon? That's not very much! Who uses a whole teaspoon? I can't imagine that it would hurt you, especially if you are using it for seasoning. It's very hard to cut out all sugars - they're everywhere. Just use your best judgement.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 17:23
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I still use it occasionally. After all, I certainly don't use a whole teaspoon on my burger..just a shake. You'd get more sugar in your Ranch Dressing or mayo by FAR.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks everyone, I mainly use it on my cooked veggies and nonprocessed meats. I don't have cooked veggies all that often and most of the juice from the butter and the fresh meat rinse it off. I am not going to worry, as some said .6 in one teaspoon is not bad and 1/4 teaspoon has 0 or so, and that's more like what I use.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-17, 00:04

Plan: my own
Stats: 360/245/100 Male 193cm
BF:
Progress: 44%

Be advised that Lawry's used a legal loophole which allows them to put on the label that seasoned salt has no carbohydrate or calories. They simply made the serving size so small, that they were allowed to do that. You will see this with many products. I discovered this problem when a diabetic patient of mine had trouble controlling his blood sugar; sure enough, many of the products he was using regularly had hidden sugars in them, all because the manufacturers have been allowed to fool the public by creating serving sizes small enough to hide the ingredients. So, everyone, please be careful, and if you know of any diabetic people, please let them know to read the entire ingredient list. If sugar, fructose, honey, corn syrup, are listed, then that product WILL affect their ability to control their diabetes, and they probably shouldn't be eating it at all. BTW another big offender is Tic Tacs. Pure sugar, but reports as NONE.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-17, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I wouldn't worry about it. As others have said, rarely does anyone use a whole teaspoon and even if so, it would be such a small percentage of your daily carb count it would be pretty negligible. I can't be bothered to be that strict.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-17, 21:33

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

It is actually quite easy to use other spices to get flavor and 0 carbs.

I quite simply want "clean seasoning's on my food". I simply read the ingredients and if I cannot pronounce a name in the ingredients...I do not use it.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Cayenne, Onion, Paprika, Chili Powder

Lawry's....NOPE
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-17, 07:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniesoda
It is actually quite easy to use other spices to get flavor and 0 carbs.

Alas, herbs and spices are plant foods and thus contain carbs .. onion and garlic powder in particular . A single teaspoon (5 ml) of either one has 2g net carbs.

That being said, I agree it's a good idea to add your own individual spices/herbs .. or make up your own mix. Here's a recipe I use to make a general-purpose seasoning blend (leave out the cayenne so it's not spicy) .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...087&postcount=2 ... Has 0.5g net carbs per teaspoon.