Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#646   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 19:18
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

JL,

Glad the chemo was successful for you.

When I was 16 the doctors said my mother had cancer. She did chemo and went into remission for the rest of her life. She died just before age 90. In later years, the doctors said that she must not have really had cancer of the lymph system because she didn't die. Go figger.
Sponsored Links
  #647   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 19:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Yesterday I warmed chicken broth, tossed in a can of chili and used the immersion blender on it. A bit grainy.
It may help to get a smoother blend if you try blending the chili before adding all the liquid (bits can float in liquid away from the blade, but are drawn into the blade if in a solid to semi-solid state).
  #648   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 19:32
Doing My Best

Quote:
The liver metabolizes fructose into glucose, lactose and glycogen. There are no limitations on this system of metabolism for fructose. The more you eat, the more you metabolize. When the limited glycogen stores are full, the excess fructose is changed directly into liver fat through de novo lipogenesis. Fructose overfeeding can increase DNL five fold, and replacing glucose with a calorically equal amount of fructose increases liver fat by a massive 38% within only eight days. It is precisely this fatty liver is crucial to the development of insulin resistance. https://intensivedietarymanagement....istance-t2d-28/
Just thinking of the Diabesity epidemic worldwide. Seems very possible that high fructose corn syrup is the culprit.
  #649   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-17, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Just thinking of the Diabesity epidemic worldwide. Seems very possible that high fructose corn syrup is the culprit.

Make sure you add this.

Sugar-sweetened drinks and your metabolism

Quote:
The next time you tuck into a protein rich dinner, it may be a good idea to hold off on the sugary drinks. A new study published in BMC Nutrition found that a combination of sugar sweetened drinks and a protein rich meal decreases metabolic efficiency, which can lead to more fat being stored.

http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcs...our-metabolism/
  #650   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-17, 17:43

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

https://intensivedietarymanagement....iabetes-t2d-40/

Quote:
When you start to used medications that empty the glucose from the body rather than simply moving it around, then you start to see some substantial benefits. If you ’empty the sugar bowl’ or ’empty the rain barrel’, then you get healthier. It’s like garbage. Your house does not get cleaner because you throw your garbage under the bed. You need to throw it outside the house. Insulin, metformin, SUs and DPP4s all do not rid the body of the excess glucose. Neither do they prevent more glucose from coming in. So the studies consistently prove them useless.

However, if you use medications that both lower the blood glucose and cause weight loss, well now you’re cooking with fire. All of the SGLT2, acarbose, and GLP1 lower blood glucose and lower body weight at the same time. And all of them are PROVEN with double blind randomized controlled trial to reduce heart disease and death. No coincidence.

Once again damning Metformin as merely pushing sugar elsewhere in the body, as previously discussed on this board.

And no mention at all of the drawbacks of SGLT2s.

And then there's this:

Quote:
Liraglutide increases GLP1 which increases insulin temporarily, but also slows movement of the GI system and the resulting nausea causes weight loss.

And this is a good thing?

(Of course, I know his emphasis is on diet, I'm just commenting on his discussion of these drugs so favorably.)
  #651   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 05:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

JLx, the Not Sleeping problem is common. Usually not the first day, but any longer for me, sleep becomes an issue.

Dr Fung's answer would not work for me...How would changing the time help?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/trouble-...-common-fasting
  #652   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 07:09

Janet, thanks for the link. Re changing the time of sleeping, I suspect he meant that going to sleep earlier in the evening lowers cortisol better in the hours before midnight. Getting up earlier forces us to go to sleep earlier. Has to do with circadian rhythm and the natural rise and fall of cortisol in the body, which we tend to disrupt with artificial light at night and just staying up too late. I used to be a night owl; then changed my ways after reading (The Cortisol Connection).
  #653   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 07:51
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Janet, thanks for the link. Re changing the time of sleeping, I suspect he meant that going to sleep earlier in the evening lowers cortisol better in the hours before midnight. Getting up earlier forces us to go to sleep earlier. Has to do with circadian rhythm and the natural rise and fall of cortisol in the body, which we tend to disrupt with artificial light at night and just staying up too late. I used to be a night owl; then changed my ways after reading (The Cortisol Connection).
Wow! Never read that book. Thanks.
  #654   ^
Old Sun, Jul-23-17, 13:41

Re The Cortisol Connection, there may be better books about cortisol these days, but at the time, that one made a big impact on me.
  #655   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-17, 20:26
Registered Member

I find Dr. Fung's stance on Metformin disappointing. I'll put together a bit more of a well rounded approach to Merformin. For anyone taking Metformin I'll make you happy you do take it.
  #656   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 11:22
Registered Member

Bought the book.
  #657   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 18:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLC.MD
I find Dr. Fung's stance on Metformin disappointing. I'll put together a bit more of a well rounded approach to Merformin. For anyone taking Metformin I'll make you happy you do take it.
I'd like to see that! I've heard good things about Metformin (which I take) so was disappointed in what Fung had to say. I mean I've even read about it being prescribed to non-diabetics because of the benefits of it.
  #658   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 18:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
https://intensivedietarymanagement....iabetes-t2d-40/Once again damning Metformin as merely pushing sugar elsewhere in the body, as previously discussed on this board.

And no mention at all of the drawbacks of SGLT2s.
Yeah, the most well-known SGLT2 is Invokana which now is required to have a large black-box warning from the FDA when it's prescribed, as a test of it vs. a placebo showed the patients on Invokana had double the amount of foot/leg amputations. One of the things that kept me from signing up to take part in a drug study where this might have been one of the drugs I was assigned to!
  #659   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 19:47
Doing My Best

Many here do not agree with me, but I agree with Dr. Fung. Medication #1 leads to the need for medication#2, and so on and so on and so on.

T1D is a disease caused by a malfunctioning organ. Take insulin or die.

T2D is a condition we eat ourselves into and it's far better to turn off the sugar/carb spigot than to medicate.

Quote:
1. Don’t put more sugar in – Low Carb diets
2. Burn if off – Intermittent fasting. The key to reversal of type 2 diabetes is entirely within our grasp .
  #660   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-17, 04:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If you're going to be on a diabetes drug, metformin does seem to be a good one to be on. I can sort of see where Dr. Fung is coming from, though, I don't think it's that hard to eat in such a way that metformin won't do you much good. He might seem too quick to praise the glucose-wasting drugs as well, but that's likely to be like when he writes about bariatric surgery, not necessarily something he uses in practice, just something to illustrate a point.