Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 07:26

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Have some Questions here

Ive started to read the book and very hard to put down. It is very interesting. Oh by the way, this is her 3rd book SPP. I know I am not finish book just read a 1/4 of it and yes it is easy to understand. But bascially her book is just plain logic. Anyhow, Dr. S mentions if you have digestion problems to take inflamitory enzymes. Im not so sure I understand that part. So if any of you guys out there takes something to digest before a meal or after can you please let me know what you do or how and what kind you take.

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 10:02

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I don't take the digestive enzymes, but I am doing some of the other standard stuff. I have adrenal fatique and hypoacidity and poor digestion are a pretty common part of it. If your digestion is really bad, you will probably have some distressing symptoms and really notice it. I found that not drinking water with meals did help to a small degree. I have also taken out some of the common allergens that she talks about while I heal my digestion. It's good to start with those things that you can do on your own first and see where it gets you. Having done all of that, gas, cramping and bloating where still a problem. I have added Betaine HCL capsules with meals. I am taking up to 5 with the bigger meals and 1 or 2 for snacks. I worked up gradually with the capsules and still have yet to feel any sort of burning sensation with them, that's how low my stomach acid is. The idea is that the hcl does some of the work while letting my stomach lining rest so that it can finally regenerate properly and be able to do its job again. I am doing this under the guidance of my naturopath. We haven't discussed digestive enzymes so I can't tell you anything there. I have at times eaten fresh pineapple because it contain bromelein which is a digestive enzyme. I don't know if it helps though. I also took some probiotics for awhile. I am taking the hcl because it is clear that I have low stomach acid, otherwise I would not do this.

Do you think you are having a problem with digestion? It's important to digest your food really well or else you may develop allergies. I seem to have lots of mineral and vitamin deficiencies due to my poor digestion.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 11:56

BF:
Progress:

HI Jende

Like i said, not finish that book but i know that when i eat which i never ate alot either i can digest it hours later. Also depends what we eat. I doubt i have vitamin deficiencies cause i always ate the right food. Like everything i eat is fresh, picked, hunt like she says. For water, well I always drank lots of water to make sure all flushes out. Like i drink about 3litres per day. Been doing that for years. Like to cut out coffee, alcholol, smokes all what she mentions in the book, i dont do. Yes i will have an occassion coffee on the weekend but real coffee not the crappy stuff and yes i can have red wine once a while nothing major. Been taking vitamins for years. I eat all veggies and barely eat potatoes or things like that. So, why my digestion is longer, i have no clue. I will look into Betaine HCL and see what that is all about. I will be reading more tonight and this weekend i should be finish the book hopefully. I might understand more. But you might see me asking questions here and there. I still think its my premenopause...anyhow will see...Thank you for replying Jende very kind of you.

I will keep you posted.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 15:01

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I don't drink alot of water WITH my meals, otherwise it's definitely good to drink lots. You don't need the Betaine HCL unless you have low stomach acid, so be sure to determine that first. I don't know why your transit time would be slow. If you eat fat with your meals digestion will be slower than if you ate straight carbs. Fibre also slows digestion, that's not a bad thing is it? I also eat healthfully and take vitamins etc, but it seems I wasn't absorbing them because of my poor digestion (probably doesn't help that I've been pregnant 5 times in the last 10 years either ). Like I said, I've had lots of distressing symptoms which tipped me off to my digestion problem. Maybe your digestion is good. Watch for symptoms such as bloating, gas, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, etc. Hopefully your not getting premenopause problems. My hormones have been out of whack for a decade now and it's not pretty (I'm also no where near menopause).
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 12:45

BF:
Progress:

Ok, I just did my zinc test and it tasted like water even after over a minute in the mouth. So, I guess I am missing zinc in my body...and yes I do think I have started my premenopause in my 40's but heh its an early thing in the family cant do much about mother nature. Yes after a meal I always feel bloated and not as if I eat alot either. Been like this forever...bloating, gas, abdominal cramping, etc...will see what happens..I went out today to buy Betaine HCL...tomorrow im off to see my geno...catch you later going to try to read more from the book...read half so far...