Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 08:13

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default the coming Suzanne Somers book & food combining

Has anyone read about the upcoming new book by Suzanne Somers. I have put a hold on it at my library . I believe it comes out this month soon. It would appear that she is taking Dr. S's advice to add a little healthy carb to each balanced meal. I noticed in SS's last book on diet had a quote from the Dr. to eat a potato now and then to strengthen her metabolism. I know I found Dr. S's program to work much better ( when I follow it -- Duh!) than food combining. Also Dr. S had said in her last book (I believe) that food combining is not the way to go . I found that to be true personally, it worked for me for about a year then I had to go with TSP. I am addressing this because in the long run I always find that TSP is the best for me all around and her theories hold up the bestand are true.

I do enjoy going thru other books on nutrition and diet though, if nothing else to remind me how balanced and true that TSP is. Recently I found a book titled "The Seven Secrets of Slim People" by Vikki Hansen, MSW & Shawn Goodman, from 1997 (got it at 1/2 price books for a dollar) I found a it reinforcing to read to address the emotional side of eating, which I don't feel the good Dr. goes into a lot. I disagree with some of their nutrional ideas-- or at least for long term health , but with me sometimes the emotional side of eating pops it's ugly head up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 06:34

Question questions

why was the last message I posted moved to food combining? It is about TSP, for those who have read both books they are aware of what I am posting about.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 11:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosarugosa
why was the last message I posted moved to food combining? It is about TSP, for those who have read both books they are aware of what I am posting about.

Hello,

The title of the thread indicates the topic is about Suzanne Somers book, which may be confusing for those looking for Schwarzbein information. The thread has been returned to the Schwarzbein section for you.

In future, please use the report icon to bring your concern to our attention, otherwise it may be missed.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 18:04

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Rosa I like to read other books too. Right now I'm on a magazine kick. I have discovered a bevy of low carb mags at the book stores. Most are bi-monthly, so I'm in between and can't wait til the next ones come out.

I went ahead and subscribed to the one I liked the best called LOW CARB ENERGY. It was either $20 0r 24 to subscribe. I found it to have the most detailed info and best rounded. Some of the other ones just suck to put it bluntly.

I also liked the LOW CARB WOMAN, which was okay, not great, but definitely something I will read while sipping a tea at Barnes & Noble. Probably won't ever buy it again or subscribe. But in a way, they are cheap reinforcements.

You know those mags are mainly geared toward low carb, of course (duh!) but the first one does seem to like the whole food approach.

One magazine that is the BIGGEST FAKE is called HEALTH and it's anything but healthy! Every ad in there was for crap food and medicines. The recipes loaded with sugar, very disappointing. I feel like writing them a letter. Anyway, I won't I'm just not caring enough about it. I'll speak by not purchasing it.

Anyway, I may get that new book you mentioned just to have another to read and referrence.

I have heard that THE HAMPTONS DIET book was very good from several sources, including one of the mags I like. This guy is into the whole foods thing and really into the healthy oils and all.

Has anyone read that HAMPTONS one? Rosa, thanks for the thread! Lemme know when the book comes out by posting here. --Betty
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 16:08

Default thanks DoreenT

I will try to remember the correct way next time.

Betty , it is a good thing the message was returned, lately this forum needs all the postings it can get ! if I did it right here is the link to the amazon info about the book I was talking about. I have a collection of books on diet and nutrition and frequently buy the latest -- I think I am obsessed! But the most painless and (slowly) sucessful for me has been TSP. I try to always check them out at the library first then see if I want to spend the $$s to make it mine.But I do have most of Suzanne Somer's & Dr. Schwarzbein's . She is Suzanne Somers Endo and by reading her books is how I heard of TSP.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...902842-3516765?
v=glance&s=books&n=507846
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 20:24

Plan: Schwarzbein principle
Stats: 144/144/124 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

I am new to SP but have read SPI and have looked at SP " the plan". I am assuming that is the "new " book of Dr. S. that Betty is referring to on another thread. I have a 30% off coupon for April 28th at B & N, so will pick it up then. I have checked out SPI from my local library, but think that is the only one they have. I also bought the cookbook. I, too was a bit confused as the first book pretty much gave freedom to eat whatever fat/ protein with no restrictions, but then I pick up the " plan" and read that and she has changed her tune to gluten free, low saturated fat, lower saturated fat. I first heard about Dr. S. in her intro in Suzanne somers book " Eat, Cheat and lose weight" and what she had to say made some sense to me. I did follow the SS plan for about 3 months and did lose about 10 #, but got tired of not having bread with meat, etc. fruit only in the AM.
Then last spring I tried WW as a suggestion from my MD to just get the basics of the plan. Well, I did lose about 10 # in about 3 months, as we were going to Hawaii, so I was really determined ! In Hawaii I said who cares and drank too many good fruity cocktails and ate too many sweets. SO, here I am again this spring looking to take off the same 15- 20 pounds !
I remembered the SP and checked it out of the library again and read it. Oh, before that I had read Bob Greene, Oprah's coach, his book, but again, low fat. And actually looked at Marilu Henners 30 day makeover book, gave that a shot...did go the week without sugar, meat and dairy...but knew I couldn't keep that up. Again, low fat.
Ok, so I am rambling, just wanted to let everyone know my story.
I am on Bio- identical hormones and it has helped alot, not more hot flashes.
Another thing about all the whole foods, organic meats and dairy, it is EXPENSIVE. We don't have a Trader Joes ( sounds great ) or a WHole foods nearby. We do have a health food store.
Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents.
MK

Last edited by mkorte : Wed, Apr-20-05 at 20:26. Reason: wrong date
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 12:29

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Well I recieved Suzanne Somer Slim and Sexy Forever and read just the introduction section during my lunch hour. Alot like Dr. S. Plan. Cant wait to go home to read a bit more.

A cute part was:
The Seven Dwarfs of Menopause

http://www.paradiseawaits.com/Woman6.html
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-06-05, 15:53

BF:
Progress:

Well so far I am almost half way to the book. Hard to read when you work and all. I was outside gardening around noon and just came in and realized it was 5pm sheesh...time sure flys by...anyhow, Somers book is basically like DS. She mentions alot of DS in her book how she helped her and all and how a good friend she is...SS books is even easier to read and to understand..like if she talks to you one on one...well its the weekend so I will be reading a bit more...its a real interesting book if any of you guys are interested...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 06:12

I enjoyed reading it. I had to turn it back in to the library. I will probably purchase it when the price drops or it turns up in 1/2 price stores. I love her recipes in all of her bks. It is very much guided by Dr. S's theories. Dr. S. of course says for health "do not food combine " which means one could not use Suzanne Somer's level one program. But the other levels would be fine , minus the desserts with artificial sweetners. I try to use stevia (which both say is alright) when possible anyway, but do use Splenda sometimes. I never purchased her 'somersweet' because it is just too expensive and does contain acsulfame.

I found the section on using bioidentical hormones easy to understand as I am finding Dr.S's latest book also. I am fininshing it now.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 09:27

BF:
Progress:

You know Rosa, not as if you have tons to lose either...we have about the same goal here...I wouldnt buy anything either from what all the books asks you to buy or I would be spending too much on things that we can find that would do just as well as what the books says to use or buy...so long you read lables...people spend billions and yes billions of dollars to lose weight and yet we have like half of the population in USA obese and thats just as much of people that are starving in the world...i rather eat fresh as much as possible but heh, we arent all perfect...

And yes, the section on using bioidentical hormones is easy to understand. I think its worth to buy that book. Like you said, great recipes in that book and easy to follow...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 18:54

Plan: The Fat Flush
Stats: 265/175/145 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hello all,
I'm new to this board. Will be seeing a naturopathic Dr. on monday and wonder if you can give me any advice as to quesstions to ask her.

A bit of history: following The Fat Flush, I dumped 80 pounds in 2002-03. Was injured in a car accident/broken leg/lots of surgeries and rehab. Back to FF in 2004 then did a Body for Life challenge and shed another 30 pounds from Jan through October. Regained 12 pounds over the holidays. Then I joined PhysiqueTransformation.com starting right after Jan 1, this year - gained 8 more pounds in what they call "conditioning" which is supposed to increase the metabolism by eating lots of carbs and lifting weigts like crazy. I gained a little muscle and refilled my fat cells around my hips, thighs, and waist.

I'm reading TSPII and my naturopath swears by DS. So I can pretty well guess what I'll be doing - just don't know what type I am yet. The Doc will test my urine and saliva and do BIA testing.

So, can you suggest any questions for me to ask the doctor?

Thanks! I'm learning from this board already.

Linda