Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 21:12

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 178/178/155 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default schwarzbein food

can anyone tell me if they have ever been able to find nitrate free bacon? I live in Ohio, and I can't find any. Also I hate eggs,especially scrambled eggs, and I'd love suggestions on what to substitute for them. I also can't do the egg substitute. I can't stand the smell of either. I am trying to stay with this eating plan, so I need to work out the bugs. Hope to hear from anyone soon. L.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 13:11

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Welcome to the forum and whole foods eating!

My first suggestion is something you may have already done since you posted this, but I suggest READING the threads in this forum, as most of your ?s will have been addressed here over the past 3 years and much stays the same. You will gather a wealth of info just reading the SP forum.

NITRATE and NITRITE FREE BACON can be had at TRADER JOE'S. They sell UNCURED bacon by NIMAN RANCH and also a TRADER JOE'S brand APPLEWOOD BACON that is EXCELLENT. They are very cheap at TJs. These are awesome bacons, baby!

Also, you can find several varieties of uncured bacon at WHOLE FOODS. I prefer the THICK cut bacon. I don't recall the brand at Whole Foods that I like the most, but it's the ONLY thick cut one they carry that's uncured. Don't worry about if they have a little sugar, they need that sometimes to cure it without nitrates. Also, don't eat a lot all the time, a few slices once a week should do ya.

RE breakfasts, you don't hafta eat breakie foods just b/c it's morning. Have a chicken breast or drumstick. Slices of uncured roast beef (found at Trader Joe's also) rolled up with swiss cheese is awesome for breakie!

I personally like to have a smoothie now and then, sometimes without the fruit. A scoop of egg protein pwder (TJs again) and some water and about 1/4 cup heavy cream with some stevia to sweeten, crushed ice, and vanilla extract works great! You can add berries also for a nice FILLING meal. In fact, I'm getting a NEW toy for the kitchen in the next month.

Mom bought a thing at Kohl's yesterday called MAGIC BULLET which makes awesome smoothies in the cup already. IT's cool, so I'm getting one. My blender took a dump, so I need it. EXCUSE TO BUY IT ALERT!!!

Anyway, you don't need to eat eggs! You can also get uncured chicken breakfast sausage at TJs for $4 or so. Also, COSTCO sells a HUGE package of UNCURED beakfast sausage for $10 that will last you a month. You can freeze the sausage. They are great and sold in the butchered meats aisle.

Also, please read the journals of those who post here as you will find many great tips! Wishing you the best. This place doesn't get a lotta action, so don't be discouraged if you don't get a lot of advice here. It's not a well known eating plan, therefore there are less folks here on it.

God bless you! --Betty
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 11:20

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

The best thing you can do is buy Canadian bacon. The rules on raising pigs in Canada and USA are different. Canadian bacon is leaner alternative to regular bacon, Canadian bacon is smoked and cured pork loin. (In Canada and Great Britain, it is called back bacon.) It's used in much the same way as bacon, though it resembles ham in appearance and taste. Three and a half ounces of this meat will supply 185 calories, 41% of them coming from fat.

here is a web site the explains what nitrates is really about;

http://www.alliedkenco.com/data/dat...and_nitrate.htm