Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 15:42

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 235/235/155 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Any emotional eaters out there?

I have yet to start SP "The Program" I have ordered it and expect to recieve it on Monday so will start the plan on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have read SPI and have decided to follow this plan as it make the most sense to me and seems healthy.

My question to anyone on SP who has ever been an emotional eater, what do you reach for when feeling distressed? I do books for 2 small businesses and tax time is approaching. I also will be helping a dear friend who has just lost her husband. The scary thing is that when I think of these stressful moments, I think of smoking!!!uug (quit 11 years ago) SO, if you can help me think of something I can reach for when I am feeling upset, I would appreciate the help.

stellamay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 19:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I've been doing the Schwarzbein program for a few months - getting better at it as I go. There's no way I could have just jumped in all at once. I've lost just 20 lbs or so - I only weight in when at the doctor's office.

Emotional eating is my thing but I think I am finally through with it. At this moment I'm not sure that's entirely a good thing. I'm a little depressed now and I know there is nothing I could eat will make me feel better - not one bit, damn it. I recently read in Schwarzbein's new book that some people ought to start with stress reduction even before the change in diet. That has to be the biggest challenge for me. I'm using a beginning yoga video and new age music...and I still can't get 8 hrs of sleep. Welcome to the "group" and may the Schwarz be with you. (sorry - a bad movie quote!)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Default Oh Yea

Yep
The trick is to identify the reason you are feeling
fear, dread, betrayal, whatever. Then you can
deal with it. But the darned things hide and operate
stealthily, so you can't fight them head on.
The good news is that the more often you try to
find the REAL reason for the over-eathing, the
better you get at it. I find that most of the time
it is an irrational fear based on circumstances well
into my past, and not really applicable now at all.
But, I still have to go that "extra step" to get to the
place that I can recognise it as that. When it comes to
emotions, it is "Feel it, or Feed it"
Donna
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 11:38

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 235/235/155 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Default Your are right

Thanks for the thoughts. It is true. I am very aware of when I am eating emotionally, but continue to do so as it is easier than facing the emotion. I don't think I know how to grieve. Unfortunatley, the drive thru somehow reestablishes my cheer disposition and I can carry on with my day.
Stellamay
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 15:25

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamay
if you can help me think of something I can reach for when I am feeling upset, I would appreciate the help.

stellamay

I reach for my Bible and have a little talk with the Lord.

And I arm myself with only healthy food in the house. This makes a huge difference. Never have garbage food around the house, even if it's for the family. Besides, how can we poison our family members?!

Hope this helps. --Betty
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 23:22
Registered Member

Plan: Swarzbein II
Stats: 160/154/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I notice you asked for "something to reach for" when you're stressed. Maybe you need to take up an easy, portable craft to keep your hands busy for a few minutes.

Also talking out loud to yourself (if you're a talker) or journaling (if you're a writer) helps. Naming the thing that's really bugging you helps chop it down to size, sometimes.

Or, if you're around others, just a little conversation in your head will do! Something like this: "Now, Stella May," you say to yourself in a very kind voice; "Do you think this is really going to make you feel better?" "Yes!" you may answer. "For how long?" "Five, ten minutes maybe." "And then how will you feel afterwards?" And so on.

But I gotta also say a big "amen" to Betty's advice: giving it to the One who loves me most and actually has the power to change me from the inside out is the most helpful. He's the best thing to reach for!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 11:37

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 150/150/140 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:
Default What To Do With The Urge To Eat/Suppress Emotions

Stellamay - I, too, am an emotional eater. Since I started SP last year a big part of my transition to the SP woe has been dealing with when I want to eat for emotional reasons. In starting SP it was really clear to me for the first time that my overeating was related to emotions because on SP I eat great food, regularly, and I'm not usually hungry. When I felt the "urge" to eat, as opposed to being hungry, I knew something was UP.

I started by noticing, just noticing, how I felt. I got more comfortable with this with time. I would see what it felt like when I didn't eat, how long the urge stayed, etc. I would also see what I felt like when I did eat - not the self-recriminations, but how my body felt and what were the feelings I pushed away.

The reality is there is NOTHING you can do to make a feeling go away. That's really what you are asking, "How can I avoid feeling uncomfortable if I can't eat anymore when I am uncomfortable?" For emotional eaters, we just want the feel-good fix. Feeling whatever it is you feel, despite how much you want to get away from it, is the fastest, most effective way to deal with feelings. Once you feel it, it goes away on its own! And, there is important wisdom for us in our feelings - we know ourselves by knowing our feelings. We learn to trust ourselves and see our own significance by allowing our emotions to be present in our lives.

When feelings come up for me and I realize I want to eat, I remind myself that I can either choose Emotional Presence or Acting Out. The feeling will keep coming back until you hear it out, so why not just let it wash over you somewhere safe and go on with loving yourself to your very edges.

With Love,
Kristy