Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 10:54

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%
Default I am thinking about doing SP....is it for weight loss?

I have been on Protein Power on and off for about a year. I have lost 30 lbs, but came to a stall in April, and have not come off of it. I actually gave up LCing in August, and went back to WW, and did not lose a thing - I actually gained weight, not to mention my cravings!!

I attempted to get back on the PP wagon. But, then my MIL came to visit for 3 weeks prior to turkey day, and I completely fell off. I did not think anyone could eat so much junk and sweets!! I gained 5 lbs

So, now I am ready to get back on the wagon. I am not waiting until after Christmas...I worked too hard to get this weight off.

I have looked at SP before, and almost got the book one time. I have read that every low carber, regardless of plan, should have SP1 on their shelves. I have also read it is good more for regaining health than losing weight, and that many LCers use it when they are getting close to goal, especially SPII.

I am currently 235, and have about 90 more lbs to go. Would this be a good program? If so, what book to start with?

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 11:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Robin. Is SP for weight loss? That's hard to say, it all depends on your metabolism. Some people lose weight right from the start, while others have some healing that they must do before their body will start to burn fat again. She says in her book that you must be healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to be healthy. Since you have been doing some dieting, I recommend that you get a copy of SPII and see if you can see yourself in any of her metabolism types. You may have damaged your metabolism through dieting. I don't know you so I don't know the current state of your health; but between the dieting and you mentioned food cravings, I think you definitely need to read SPII.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 15:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Robin, You and I weigh very nearly the same. (Unfortunately for me I'm shorter, I bet) I've been following SBII for 6 months and I've only seen a 20 lb weight loss and that was spread out over the entire 6 months. It's not fast, to say the least, but I've done so many other diets that helped me lose, but only temporarily, and I just want this to be something I can live with for life. So the answer to your question, I think, is yes, but slowly.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: Swarzbein II
Stats: 160/154/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think either Swarzbein plan is a much healthier approach than the extreme low carb options. And easier to live with for the long run, which is what counts. I'd encourage you to not focus on whether you're losing quickly, but on whether you're getting healthier. And celebrate any weight loss, no matter how long in coming it was!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 07:36

BF:

SBII best explains the probable rate/ease of weight loss based on four metabolic types (or states of health). I'm in the group most likely to lose very slowly. I appreciate knowing that so I don't try some foolish plan to take it off fast and damage my health further. After several months of working my way into it I'm beginning to feel better, sleep better and lose a couple of pounds a month without feeling deprived.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default So much more

Weight loss is just one of the things that SP is supposed to help with
You are also supposed to stop aging prematurely, bring heart risks and other
health considerations into a much healthier state and a whole host of other benefits. What it does NOT promise is that you will be clothesrack-thin like a fashion model. It promises to get you to your genetic ideal, which may or may not be in line with today's ideal.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of gaining another 10 lbs after each diet adventure. I think I would probably weigh a lot oess had I never dieted at all. And when I think of all the torture I went through over-exercising it makes me sick. There I was doing something I really didnt like at all, felling horrible all the time, because I thought it was "good" for me. When in reality, all I was doing is further ruining my only chance of regaining a metabolism so that my eating habits could even approach something normal.

So, as an older woman who doesn't care about attracting males anymore, health is the main concern. Plus I want to fit into nice clothes and not be immediately judged as someone who is out of control whenever I walk down the street. I wish there was something faster, but believe me, I've tried them and they only set me back more. So I guess I'll go for slow and methodical.

Donna
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:07

BF:

I too am an "older" woman - but I'm still being pulled strongly in the direction of losing faster because of a man. Health is more important though (that statement depends greatly on what part of my body is doing the thinking at the moment). However...just think about avoiding all the sagging skin possible. When you take it off fast there will be lots of it hanging around no matter what your age. That looks more unattractive to me than a little fat.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

Well, Froggie (sounds better than Frogbreath to me somehow)

At least you have a strong motivation there.
Fact is, I am avoiding taking HRT because the last
time I did, it brought back... ahem amorous feelings.
I'm happy to be rid of them. But according to Dr. S
you have to have *those* in line too. Sigh.

BTW, I added you to my buddy list. I would
like to have a pen pal for encouragement, and you
look to be as verbose as I am! lol. If you are interested,
I did make it possible for others to email me on my profiles
page. I tried to send you a message, but got the
"you are not allowed to access this page" message.

Donna
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 11:03

BF:

Donna, I'm not allowed to send messages to you either. I don't know how all this works. Maybe that's one of the additional features that must be paid for??
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 21:04
Registered Member

BF:

Wonder why they won't let us?
Tell ya what, I'll create a web account
somewhere and post it here, OK?
then I can give you the real addy from there,
and not on a public forum. Spam city.

I guess I'm more serious this time because I have
set the LCF as my homepage. I never did that
before. It's been since Monday, and although
I did not get my rest yesterday due to extraordinary
problems (water in the basement) I've been doing
well otherwise.

Donna
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 21:12
Registered Member

BF:

OK,
Try this
dehardt15~hotmail.com

Now I think I'll hang on and see if the expected spam
appears.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 20:08

BF:

How did you creat a web account? and what did it do exactly?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 11:41
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Digigity and Froggie

You'll be able to send messages when each of you has over 20 posts (you've probably been able to figure that out by now )

so whoever has only 18 posts - just make a couple more.