Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 11:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 176/138/120 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Greeks around the world!

Yia sas!

It's always sunny in Greece! So, first of all let me take off sunglasses. Better huh?

Ok, when I first came here I knew I had little chance of finding someone from Greece. I know that Greeks are everywhere, but out of 13 million greeks around the world what are the possibilities to meet someone here? Definetely, more than I thought!

So here we are! Calling everyone who has greek roots, to write anything he/she wants here. I hope the mods will allow us some greek and greeklish!

Waiting for your news!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 11:43
Lowcarber for life!

Plan: I wish I knew!
Stats: 248/224/168 Male 66 inches
BF:104%
Progress: 30%

Hello again Aquamarina!!

I'm a London Greek Cypriot (hows that for a mouthful!!) I still can't believe I'm not the only one here!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/145/114 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Yiasou!

Good idea, Aquamarina, to spare the original thread from the dark mystery that is "Greeklish".

I agree, it was a nice surprise to find some Greek people on this forum.
Funny that we all posted on the same thread... But then again, it was about food! Speaking of which, I am signing off for lunch now... Nice Grk salad with Feta sound familiar?

*Yiasou se olous tous Ellines pou diaBazoun auto!
[Hello to all you Greeks out there, reading this!]
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-05, 15:37

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wish I was greek
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

so...any low carb pastitsio recipes????
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 12:24
Lowcarber for life!

I had to check up Pastitsio, it's what we call Macaronia Dou Forno (excuse the spelling!). My mum has made me that with low carb pasta and cream
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 12:27
Registered Member

BF:

lc pasta? was it edible?

just kidding, i am sure mousaka would work with eggplants! ill have to try that.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 12:30
Lowcarber for life!

most low carb pasta isn't great but the Boots (UK chain of stores) one tastes great to me and is only 4 carbs a serving. But I've been on Atkins for nearly 4 years so my tastebuds are pretty suspect!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 02:12

BF:

Yia sas!

The weather is so hot and there's such a humidity here...Sometimes I wonder why do I love summer! They say on Sunday there will be a thunderstorm! Is the weather going crazy?

I hope you have stopped dreaming about pastitsio. I was eating pastitsio and carbonara like crazy before... but now I don't even think of them.

You can make somekind of pastitsio with kima, besamel and cheese crust. (Oh, I love telling the foods with their greek name! I'm always with a dictionary open to find the correct english word!)
So first make the crust putting cheese in the microwave, like making chips. Another solution that just came into my mind is to make something like an omelet and put it as crust. You can use the same crust for mousaka also instead of potatoes.
Besamel needs flour but we can't use this. So make a "type" besamel mixing, milk, eggs and cheese.
Now, mix the kima (is it minced meat in english?) with the besamel and put it over the crust. There is your lc pastitsio (or something like this).

Btw, I suggest not to use any lc pasta. All these lc products have polyols or other substitutes which may cause you a stall. This "net carb" thing doesn't work for me and for most people as far as I know.

About mousaka things are easier. Using the same crust, you can add eggplant, kima, kolokithakia (zuchinni?) and besamel and have a perfect mousaka.

Oh! Another recipe I made was somekind of a dessert. Make small omeletes in the size of a cup, mix sweetener with anthotiro, and add the mix over the omeletes. Bake them for a while... and voila! A delicious dessert, low in calories and carbs.

One of the good things lc made in my life is that I started cooking. Before this, it was easier for me to make a program that cooks than cook myself. Same holds for cleaning, but it is still easier to make a program that cleans

Eve, I saw you mentioned in another topic that you are afraid coming here because people are skinny. R U crazy? The typical greek woman is about 1.65 and has curves.. most of the times too many curves...

Oh, it's so nice to be able to talk in my language! Going back to coding!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 09:36
Registered Member

BF:

aquamarina, your english is great! have you always lived in greece?
i know what you mean about the heat. it is sooo hot here and extremely humid too and my air conditioner broke .
i am going to have to try and make that mousaka. i do miss some of the greek foods like pites especially! kotopita, my favorite.

eve
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 13:49
Registered Member

BF:

OK, why did you guys have to mention pastichio! Yum...I haven't had time to experiment with Greek recipes, yet.

Aquamarina's ideas sound nice. I miss my mom's spanakopita, but have thought about making a spanikopta "bake", sans filo, using a nutty pie shell, instead. It'd be more like a souffle, I guess. It could be fun to experiment w LC versions of Grk stuff. Would love to find a LC Karidopita recipe... Keep the ideas coming, guys!

Last edited by BuN*BuN : Sat, Jul-02-05 at 14:00.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 01:39

BF:

Good morning!

We had a heavy rain yesterday. It was what we needed cause it has been so hot these days. I went for a walk last night at P. Faliro, just near the sea. Few mins after the rain and everybody was out! Typical greeks huh?

I hate aircondition. It's necessary here, it almost works all day, but it's like being in a cool cage. I try to close it whnever possible.

Eve you are right! I took my degree in computer information systems from the american college of greece. All classes were in english and sometimes I still use english words when I speak (and I have to explain it to others, so not to think I'm making it for showing off!) . Btw don't ever send your children to study in Greece. We have the better education in terms of knowledge levels and the worst system (the parrot) in order to get in the universities.

You know how things are here... We have a souvlazidiko in every corner! I have one just across the office and it makes a delicious chicken-bacon souvlaki. Only that after lc, I eat it without pita.
Spanakorizo was one of my favorite foods before lc. Now spanaki is allowed but I must find a new way to eat it.
I made a "left-over" cake last night using anthotiro,feta yogurt and sweetener. It seems that "on-the-fly" foods are the best. axxaaxax (another thing I can do here. Laughing using x instead of h! )

Another two ideas on food. Try to find the fage total yogurts. They are straggista and perfect for lc. When you find it make the famous national greek food. Tzatziki! (I had one bowl last night)

Ok back to coding.

Waiting for your news!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 21:46
Registered Member

BF:

oh yes!! the fage total yogurt! i ate it everyday in greece (with honey). they have it here too at one store, but i dont eat it b/c i am trying to stick to induction (not losing anything at the moment).

believe it or not, the last time i went to greece i was a VEGETARIAN. can you believe it, a whole month in greece and never a souvlaki??? actually i used to eat them without the meat...only tomatoes, onions, and tzatziki on the pita.
the one thing i really miss from greece...the patates. tiganites me tzatziki!!! now that would be hard to give up (not the spanakorizo). XAXAXAXA

eve
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 01:39
Lowcarber for life!

A Greek Vegetarian? I didn't think that was possible!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:

I can see eating only the veggies with a ton of tzaziki, on a delicious, toasty Greek pita. Yum! That's a meal in itself. But nothing beats the total package, with lamb! Jinkies... now I'm hungry.