Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thur. afternoon: 30 min. pool jogging – can’t believe I made it the full 30 min., and this is only my 2nd time this year! Also did 360 Tae-Bo kicks (20 sets, 3 each of 3 different kicks on each leg). Then, after dinner, I went to my dad’s and mowed part of his lawn (he’s having problems with his back and had told me that he’s only able to do a small part at a time, so I tried out my new lawn mower on his lawn. I love the new mower! I would have done more, but I think he was having a hard time accepting help and he wouldn’t let me do any more. Said he’s going to get out his riding mower today.) I tried to convince him to see a doctor about his back because it’s affecting his legs also – he said he can only go a short ways before he has to rest. He’s almost 77 years old – I’m a bit worried about him. Hope he’ll see a doctor. His sister is coming here from Minneapolis tomorrow for a visit – it’s our annual get-together to put flowers on the graves before Memorial Day. I’ll get her to also encourage him to see a doctor – he might be more inclined to listen to her than to me. After all, I’m one of his kids and he’s supposed to give me advice, not the other way around – at least not in his mind!

Fri: 4:30 a.m. – really pushed it on the treadmill this morning – 30 min. and burned 388 calories (according to the display – wish that was real). Scale is still moving down – what a great reward for all of the hard work! Clothes are fitting better again – it’s great! Also seem to be back into ketosis – stix are at ‘Trace’ and appetite is definitely suppressed again. Yeah!!!! Wish the scale would keep on moving downward at the rate it has been, but I know that can’t happen – loss rate will slow down eventually.

Walked for 30 min. on lunch break. Plan to go home at 3:30 and pool jog for 30 min. I’m still mulling over the idea of doing a 60 min. walk after work next week. Problem is that I would then miss my pool jogging. Maybe I’ll hold off on that idea until the weather is warm enough for me to pool jog 1st thing in the morning, then I can walk after work. Even if I can only fit in 1 or 2 – 60 min. sessions in a week, that would help. Or, I could save the 60 min. walk for weekends so I can schedule it around the pool. I’ll think it over.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:12

BF:

Fri p.m.: Went home and did 30 min. pool jogging.

Sat. a.m. met with aunt and cousin from out-of-town to put flowers on grandparents graves. Aunt brought homemade caramel rolls, and tried to talk me into eating one. I think she was insulted when I refused. I know she does not understand low carb, so I just told her that eating even one bite would stop my weight loss and set me back 3 days, and her response was ‘so what?’ I did not cave in – sat and watched all of the rest of them eat the rolls. (That is, all but my daughter and son-in-law – my daughter does not care for sweets, never has, and son-in-law had just eaten and was not hungry. But to avoid my aunt’s feeling insulted, he took one ‘to go’ in a sandwich bag.) I wish people would just understand that refusing food is not an insult or a reflection on their cooking ability. I suppose my aunt just felt disappointed because she had taken the time and made the effort to make something special, then so many people were not eating it. Both my aunt and her daughter are very obese, and the idea of not eating something because of your weight is foreign to them – neither of them understands that concept. They accept their weight and choose to do nothing about it – and that’s their decision and their business. But it would be nice if they could support someone else who is trying to do something about their weight instead of disparaging the idea and trying to sabotage the person’s efforts.

Sat: afternoon -- 30 min. pool jogging. It was beautiful weather! Stuck completely to diet all weekend in spite of many other temptations (besides the caramel rolls). Son had a ‘pool party’ on Sat. – had 3 boys over after their Boy Scout fishing trip. I bought the ingredients so they could do a ‘build your own banana splits’ break – lots of ice creams (sugar-free), toppings, whip cream, bananas, sprinkles, etc. They had a great time! There were only 4 nine-year-olds, but they ate an entire half-gallon of ice cream and a whole can of whipped cream!

Sun: Rested – no particular exercise. Just church, read newspaper, relaxed in pool, cooked – invited daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter over for swimming and dinner. Made turkey breast on the grill; zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and Parmesan cheese dish; fresh asparagus; and corn on the cob (I did not eat the corn). They made banana splits from the rest of the ice cream and toppings for dessert (I abstained). Weather was beautiful all weekend!

Mon: 4:30 a.m. – did 3 miles on treadmill – 45 min. – incline 4 – 9; speed about 4.0 mph – burned more than 400 calories. I have to work until 5:00 today, so had extra time this morning – could go into work later. Also, it’s going to rain, so no walk at lunch. Since I won’t get home until 5:30 today, then need to cook dinner and help with homework, etc., I won’t get in any more aerobic exercise today. Want to do some weights after work, though – need to get back into the weight training, but I do not want to increase my carbs. In spite of showing pink on the ketostix, I up 2 pounds from Saturday. Hopefully from not drinking enough water – I know I did not drink enough all weekend – but today am doing great. Or, could be from less exercise over the weekend – seems like I need a LOT of exercise to keep losing weight, and if I can’t get enough in, I gain weight. Hope this will not be permanent – if I reach a point in my life when I cannot exercise for any reason (injury, illness, old age, etc.), that would be a major problem. I would like to think that at some time I could take a day or two off or take a vacation and not need to worry about regaining a few pounds. It really stinks to work so hard and it takes weeks or months to lose the weight and only days to gain it back!
  #168   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:43

BF:

Well, the best laid plans…….
Monday, just before leaving work, I broke out into hives – big, hives – all over, and my face was starting to swell. Had to take an antihistamine, then rush home before I got sleepy. Sleepy, that’s not even close to describing how antihistamines make me feel. I pass out – cannot wake up – I believe that if the house caught fire, I would burn up – no way I could wake up enough to get out! So, I slept from 6:30 Monday night until Tuesday afternoon – was awake for a short time Tuesday a.m. to call doctor. Tried to get some other sort of medication that would not put me to sleep, but they said there is none. Have an appointment with an allergist next week. Hopefully can find out what’s causing this. Had the same thing happen less than a month ago, but no idea what’s causing it. Only other time I had hives this bad is when I had the allergic reaction to aspirin, and that was almost 30 years ago. All three times, there was hardly a white spot left on my body, and my face was swelling. It’s a bit scary because I don’t know what’s causing it, so I don’t know what to avoid, and I never know if and when it will happen again. Also, I know two people who died from severe allergic reactions, and one of them had never had an allergic reaction to anything before. Makes me very nervous – I really need to find out what’s going on.

Tue.: Slept

Wed. a.m. – still feeling affects of allergy attack and antihistamine. Could not get up in time to walk. Have a lunch meeting, but plan to go home after work and pool jog. If water is not warm enough, will walk with dogs instead – or, maybe can do both – pool jog before dinner and walk dogs after – want to get in some extra for missed day.

Diet continues to go well – weight loss slowed down, but still continuing to lose!
  #169   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:46

BF:

Wed. p.m.: Worked a bit later than I had planned, but still managed to get in 30 min. of pool jogging and 360 Tae-Bo kicks/punches in the pool. Because it was later and it was only in the lower 60’s with a bit of a wind, you had to keep moving and stay in the water or you’d get cold.

Thur.: 4:30 a.m. – 35 min. on treadmill. Brought my walking shoes, but I got rained out for a lunch time walk. Was hoping the rain would hold off until later this afternoon, but by 8:00 a.m. the clouds were already moving in. No pool jogging or walk after work today – rainy and dogs have appointments at the vet’s for checkups and shots.

Weight loss is continuing – I’ve set a mini goal of breaking 200 by my birthday – that would be the best birthday gift ever! It might be a bit unrealistic – would need to lose about 3 pounds per week – but you never know, that whoosh might be just around the corner!
  #170   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:38

BF:

Fri.: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min. on treadmill.

Lunch time: walked for 35 min. outside -- weather is beautiful!

Would like to go home after work and walk dogs and/or go on bike ride (would really like to do both).

Keep saying I want to start weights again, but am hesitant because I think I'd need to increase my carbs (been staying at 20) and think it will slow or stall my weight loss. Seems like it stall if I go over 20 carbs, or if I add nuts or cheeses, even when I was doing weights. I'm so happy that I'm losing right now that I don't want to do anything to blow it. Maybe I can just try doing upper body and abs on the 20 carbs and count all of the walking, pool joggin, and Tae-Bo kicks for lower body workout?
  #171   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:59

BF:

Friday: went home after work and did 30 min. pool jogging and 360 Tae-Bo kicks in pool. Getting used to it again, and want to start increasing to 45 min. soon.

Sat, Sun, & Mon.: No 'formal' exercise. Weather was gorgeous all holiday weekend. Did a lot of gardening, planting, yard work, fishing, and was in pool, but just played with son & DH - 'tag', keep away, etc.

Tue: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill.

Lunch time: 30 min. walk outside. It's getting HOT -- supposed to be 81 today!

Can't wait to get home after work and run in the pool! I'm going to push for 45 min. today, and be sure to do the 360 Tae-Bo kicks.

Was a great weekend. Did a picnic on Mon. and had 2 'treats' that I suspected (and the scale confirmed it this morning) would stall the loss for a day -- 1/2 a bag (small bag - 1 serving size) of Carb Solutions' low carb chips and a low carb Endulge chocolate bar.

Today I'm back to 'no treats - not even low carb ones' and expect the weight to start coming off again. I am definitely still in ketosis.
  #172   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 11:37

BF:

Tue.: Went home after work and pool jogged – made it 45 min!!!! Then the 360 Tae-Bo kicks – legs were pretty rubbery after that! If what Swimmer’s health club says is true, that’s about the same as running 3 hours on land!

Wed: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill – had to take it a bit more easy today – top incline of 4 and barely made it 2 miles – legs were still a bit shaky from extra pool jogging last night.

Lunch break: rain had quit, so walked 30 min. at lunch. It’s WINDY – had a pretty good headwind for the 1st half of the walk.

Won’t be able to walk after work – need to go to daughter’s house and play with granddaughter – it’s tough work, but I’ll get through it somehow. Actually, if there’s time, maybe I can put her in the burley and we can walk down the trail to see if the eagle’s eggs have hatched yet – it would be terrific to see the baby eagles.

Weight loss still stalled -- not sure why -- I'm just waiting for a whoosh!!!!
  #173   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 11:49

BF:

Thursday: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill

Lunch break: walked outside for 30 min.

After work: pool jogged for 30 min. (got home late, so couldn’t go longer today)

Fri: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill

Raining today, so no walk at lunch; need to go grocery shopping after work, so no more formal exercise today.

I never thought I would ask myself this question, but I’m wondering if maybe I’m losing weight too FAST!!!! This from a former turtle!!!! I’ve been loosing nearly a pound a day. This is the longest I have ever been in ketosis. I don’t know what happened – if maybe it just took this long for my metabolism to heal. I don’t know what’s different, but all I know is that I finally know what others on this board have meant when they talked about the breath, not being hungry, actually losing weight!!! I don’t know how long this will last, but for now I am so happy and encouraged.
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:55

BF:

Sat: Took the grandkids to the zoo -- lots of walking.

Sun: Pool jogged for 35 min.

Mon: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill. Had lunch meeting, so no walk at lunch. Plan to pool jog after work.
  #175   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:41

BF:

Mon. p.m.: pool jogged 30 min.

Tue: overslept in the a.m.
Lunch break: walked outside 30 min. -- it's a gorgeous day! A bit warmer than I expected (high was only supposed to be 71) and I got a bit warm, but very nice workout -- I'm sitting here and feel my muscles twitching!

Have to go shopping after work -- son needs new shoes. But hopefully will still get home in time to pool jog. Otherwise, I'll walk the dogs if it's too cool to go in the pool -- they'll enjoy it.
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:53

BF:

Tue p.m.: Went home after work and pool water was too cold, so I walked the dogs -- 2 miles.

Wed: overslept again -- don't know why I've been so tired these last couple of weeks -- can't stay awake at night and can't get up in the a.m. Was going to walk at lunch, but co-worker really wanted me to go out to lunch with her, so I did (bad girl!) Had a Cobb Salad -- it was great! And HUGE!!! I only ate about 1/5 of it, brought the rest back in a box (didn't pour the dressing on the whole salad, only on a little at a time so the left-overs wouldn't spoil). DH and I can share the rest for dinner tonight!

It's nice out and pool is heating now, so I'll pool jog after work -- I'll try to do 45 min., plus the Tae-Bo kicks. If there's time later, I'll walk the dogs -- need to make up for not doing a.m. or lunchtime walk.

Weight loss definitely has slowed down, but am still losing, just more slowly. As long as it keeps going down, I'm happy.
  #177   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:43

BF:

Wed: Went home after work and pool jogged for 45 min. Wanted to walk the dogs afterward since I missed both the morning and noon sessions, but it was not meant to be. Son’s teacher has a reward system where they earn ‘bucks’ throughout the quarter. Then she has an ‘auction’ where they can use their bucks to buy merchandise. Son had asked me for a permission slip to buy a goldfish at the auction. He already has one, so I wrote the permission slip thinking he might bring home a goldfish to add to the existing tank. Well, he brought home not one fish in a ziploc bag – there were 3!!!! The water had a greenish cast and I could not see them clearly, except that they were brown.

His current tank would not support four goldfish! So, DH who had picked him up from school and knew the scoop had stopped at the store and bought a bowl. I looked at it and knew it would not work. There was no cover, so the cats would have an easy time going fishing, and there was no pump or filter, so the water would need to be changed several times a week. I explained the problem, so he returned it. After dinner we had to go shopping for a tank for the fish. We went to a store and found a nice 5 gallon tank that was supposed to include everything – filter, pump, food, water conditioner, cover, light, etc. – everything except gravel. By the time I got it home it was 8:30. I opened the package to set it up, and found that parts were missing!!! There was no pump or filter, no food, no water conditioner. I called the store (which closes at 9:00) and told them what happened. The clerk said she would take the parts from another tank (this was the only green one they had). So, DH rushed back to the store (it’s a 20 minute drive and they were closing in 25 min.). By the time he got home with the tank and I got it set up in son’s room, it was after 10:00.

Then, I poured the poor fish that had been confined to this gallon ziploc bag for hours into their new home. That’s when I got a good look at them. They are NOT goldfish. They are, I think, some sort of tropical fish!!!! I don’t know for sure what they are or how to care for them. I gave them some of the tropical fish food that came with the tank and left the goldfish in his own tank. Now, if they’re tropical fish, I think that I’ll need a heater for the tank. Tomorrow I need to go shopping for a birthday gift and I’ll stop in a pet store and look at their fish to try to figure out what these are. Son had no idea. Either that, or I’ll call the teacher and ask her. So far these 3 ‘free’ fish have cost me $68.72 for the tank and gravel. That does not include the price of a heater if I have to add that, nor the time and gas spent running around to find the tank. Hopefully they will live long and healthy lives!!!

So, after all that, here’s an actual gym log:

Thur: Got up later and was going in to work later because I was designated 5:00 person that day. It was light outside when I got up, so I walked the dogs instead of going on the treadmill. It was good walking weather – in the 50’s – only went around ‘the circle’, about 1-1/2 miles in 20 mins.

Lunch break: Walked for 30 min.

After work: Went home and pool jogged for 30 min. It was still really nice outside – warm, sunny, high was 80.

Tried something new for dinner – I had it a restaurant about a year ago, so I tried to duplicate it at home. It was a salad with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette dressing topped with a fillet of marinated grilled salmon. I came close, but, but the restaurant marinade had some other seasoning. Maybe I’ll have to take a trip back to the restaurant and have it again so I can try to figure out what else was in that dressing.
  #178   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:44

BF:

Fri.:

Had a wonderful experience this morning – for the first time in my entire life the ketostix were PURPLE!!!!!!!! This from someone who had ‘negative’ for nearly 2 years! I don’t know what’s happening and why after all this time I’m finally in ketosis big time, but it’s a great feeling!

Had to go into work early this morning because my boss is gone, so I didn’t have time to walk on treadmill. Won’t be able to walk at lunch – need to go out to buy a birthday gift, plus it’s raining. And, won’t be able to go after work either, so guess today is a ‘lost’ day as far as exercise goes.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make up for it on the weekend, but it’s going to be a crazy couple of days. We have 2 birthday parties and 2 graduation parties this weekend!
  #179   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:52

BF:

Haven’t been keeping up with the posting here – it’s been crazy lately. Had a nasty cold that slowed me down for a few days. Felt very tired and sick – chills, etc. Then it moved down into my chest and I was coughing so much – pretty tough to do much with that cough. Mostly walked whenever I didn’t feel too sick – and was doing other activities such as gardening. Helped daughter build a new flower bed – boy did I shovel lots of dirt and rocks into a wheelbarrow, then hauled it to an area and dumped it to get the bed ready. Also did the hand weeding and cultivating in my own garden and planted more flowers. Played ‘tag’ with grandson in the pool. Nothing very organized – just whatever I felt I could do that day without making myself more ill. I’m feeling better today and back into full swing again.

Mon: 4:30 a.m. – 30 min. on treadmill. Only kept speed at 3.5 mph and incline at 5 for most of the time – still feel some congestion in chest and lungs didn’t want me to go any faster yet.

It’s too hot to walk outside, so I won’t walk at lunch today. It will be in the 80’s by noon and I don’t want to have to take a shower after I walk – I have to go back to work.

Plan to go home after work and pool jog. That’s the best part of pool jogging – you never get too hot! I’ll try for at least 45 min. because of missing my noon walk. If it cools down later I would like to walk the dogs. It’s going to be quite hot and humid and I don’t want to overheat them!
  #180   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 11:54

BF:

Tue: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill. Had a lunch meeting, so could not walk at lunch. After work: 45 min. pool jogging.

Wed.: 4:30 a.m. - 30 min on treadmill. Very hot and humid today, so no lunchtime walk. Plan to go home after work and pool jog.