Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 13:19

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%
Default old habits certainly do die hard

So I've been on the lc lifestyle for over a year now. I've lost over 70 lbs. But today really tested my commitment and strength and I really thought I was going to cave.

I can literally count on one hand the number of times I've cheated. For some reason, though, today I really wanted a fast food meal. Complete with salty fries, double cheeseburger (with the bun) and soda. Here's my internal dialogue:

Devil (right shoulder): Boy that double cheese sure sounds good.
Angel (left shoulder): Don't do it. You'll regret it.
Devil: Come on, you're craving it. No one needs to know.
ANgel: But the gluten in the bun! Your knee will be unbendable for days! That gluten is poison!
Devil: Who cares? Eat just the meat and 1/2 a bun...it's not too bad. How about large fries with ketchup?? No gluten there!
Angel: MMMM Ketchup.

It's at this point I'm already planning how to conceal this purchase from my husband who has been a great support and whom I hate to dissappoint. I find myself online and moving the cash from our joint account to my savings (of which he doesn't see the statement) to pay for this meal. I'm anticipating it...leg be damned! Then, my jacket in on and I'm moving out the door.

As I get in my van, I sit for a second, and say to myself, 'just go to the grocery store first...then the drive thru later.

And I do! While there I pick up some pepperoni sticks and enjoy the salty yummy flavour. They start to fill the hole in my tummy/mind. I pick up some nuts and few other sundries and then stop at the drugstore quick. By the time that was finished, I had to head back to work, b/c my lunch hour was up.

No, I did NOT have that combo. But boy, I sure wanted it. I still want it, but not so badly. But I made it through without the binge.

Moral of the story...old habits do die hard. And they're waiting right there on the back burner to take you down. I'm not sure why I'm surprised that after a year I still have these old behaviours ingrained in me...and I'm still almost succumbing to them. When will this urge pass?

Food really is an addiction for me.
Sponsored Links