Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 20:11

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 167.5/157.2/140
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default New here...following South Beach

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and following something called the South Beach Diet...anyone heard of it. It is very similar to ATkins, with the exception being you can have a tad of cottage cheese and legumes in the first two weeks. You also eat less fat, which was important for me. All the fat in my diet on Atkins was making me feel sluggish and break out. Since starting this, I feel more energetic, skin is clear again, and I am losing faster.

Kel3240
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 13:31
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Haven't heard of that plan but glad it works for you! Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:32
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hi there, Kel...

I've heard of the South Beach Diet. I read about it in this month's Prevention Magazine. I sent for the book via amazon.com... and it just might be here tomorrow.

I've been on Atkins since January 2002. Lost 50 pounds... but just recently I've been modifying it a bit... fewer calories and adding some carbs by way of a whole wheat cereal. I've suddenly dropped another four pounds! I'm thrilled. I'm going to read South Beach and the new Schwarzbein book. I have a feeling they are better suited for me than Atkins. Low carbing is most definitely the way to go.. but I'm with you... less fat is better for me, I'm sure.

Best of luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hmmm...my interest level is rising...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:17

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Welcome to the forum!

This community is warm and supportive—just what one needs for a successful LC journey!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:00
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Yes - tell us about your plan! We're all ears!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 03:38

Plan: SF, grain free, vegan
Stats: 230/208.2/199 Female 5'2"
BF:More than enough
Progress: 70%
Cool Welcome, my friend...

I say...do whatever works...I've been trying things with no success...but will resume trying after Passover ends.
This is a wonderful forum...everyone is full of encouragement and support for one another ...you're in the right place.

Love & Light,
Pink
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:08
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Anyone have success with the South Beach diet?

Seems to start off like Atkins, then slow add LOW G-I food back into the meals.
adding carbs, but at least "good" carbs.

Just curious what people think.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Thumbs up South Beach is very "liveable" for me!

Hi, PatchLady, et al., South beach seems to be what I was looking for as a permanent lifestyle change. It seems easier to remember, easier to follow and remain committed. I do not get bored or anything. An added bonus is that I am learning to cook and prepare more healthy, tastier foods. For example, last night I made a South Beach style Eggplant Parmesan casserole which I adapted from several recipes I researched online:
  • 1 large eggplant, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
  • About 2 T olive oil
  • 1 large, ripe red tomato (chopped)
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 1/2 c chopped onion
  • Seasoning: basil, oregano, rosemary, No-Salt Spike seasoning
  • 8 oz jar, no sugar added, reduced sodium tomato sauce (I used Hunts)
  • 1/4 lb. extra lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
  1. Salt eggplant on both sides and place on paper towels with paper towels covering the slices. Allow to drain for 30 minutes.

2. Brown ground beef, chopped onion and minced garlic in a little olive oil. Drain. Then add chopped tomato and stir around for a few minutes, following with seasoning and 8 oz can tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer on low until ready to add to casserole.

3. Preheat oven to 450. Rinse eggplant slices WELL and dry off with fresh paper towels. Line a large cookie sheet with Reynolds or other "stick-free" aluminum foil and spray thoroughly with olive oil. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Oven-saute slices until lightly browned on both sides. (You can turn after about five minutes, but I didn't find it necessary.)

4. Reduce oven heat to 350. In a smaller casserole dish (I used 11.5"L x 7"W x 1.5"D) sprayed well with olive oil, place eggplant slices in a single layer to cover bottom of the casserole dish. Then spread mozzarella evenly over the top, adding 2 Tbsps parmesan after that. Evenly spread tomato sauce over the cheese layer next to cover the entire layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese on top and add freshly ground black pepper, if desired.

5. Bake at 350 for about 30-45 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted on top. (Makes up to 4 main dish servings, or can be used as a side.) NOTE: Like many casseroles, this is even better when served the next day!
Not that Beachers are supposed to count calories, but I feel more comfortable keeping track of total calories and carbs on a daily basis. If you'd like to reduce the caloric value of this dish, you can always use less olive oil spray and make sure to watch for sticking. My calculations worked this recipe out to about 190 calories (because of the 2 Tbsp olive oil, mainly) and not more than 6 carbohydrates per serving if divided into 4 even portions! I had two last night and plan to have the other two tonight with a small side salad. That's only about 375 calories and 12 carbs for a substantial portion!

Patchlady: You're right South Beach is a lot like Atkins, just more emphasis on "Good" Carbs and Fats. I recently ordered the new Agatston book about these and I will let you know what I think. Pink: Wishing you every blessing on this Passover. Hope you will come back soon! Donald: Thanks so much for your kind words. Carol: You already lost FIFTY LBS.?! Congratulations! I am inspired. Sounds like you are already "on the beach" with all the modifications you've made and the sucess you have enjoyed. (Tell us more about "Schwarzbein"?) Kel3240: The reasons you listed for switching plans are much like my own. I know everyone is different, but I was having the same skin issues as you had, plus the low energy and I also was getting frequent headaches (possibly too many nitrates or whatever it was?).

Have a great day everyone, I will be checking back soon.

Last edited by ckoudsi617 : Tue, Jan-13-04 at 09:15.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 09:27

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 145/130/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,
I am new to the forum too and I have been on the South Beach Diet since October. And of the 25lbs I want to loose I have lost 15 lbs. so far. I love it...it's great. It has taught me a new way to ENJOY food and be healthy.
And the book it very helpful. There are tons of recipies for each of the three phases. So you're not stuck wondering what to eat.
Also the breakfast fritatta is great. you can make a big batch of it and have it for breakfast for days! I found that to be less time consuming!
Have a good day!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:11

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I will hafta try the breakfast frittata....Can I get the recipe?