Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 11:02

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 220/203/186 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb 190-199lbs and falling - Support Club

Here's an idea. How about a support club for everyone in different weight bands. When you've done well and your weight falls below the minimum for the group, you can graduate into the class below until you reach your goal.

I think it will be good to have people of similar weights to give each other support as they get ever closer to the group below. Those into competition could spur each other on.

Anyone want to join me?

This one, as the name suggests is for people who currently weigh between 190 and 199 pounds. In a few weeks I hope to set up the 180-189 group! (I'm on holiday in a couple of weeks, so I might end up setting up the 200-209 group - hope not!)

We could set ourselves mini-goals for graduation! And we would welcome anyone who graduated into our class from the class above.

Any takers? Just sign in!

Sara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 14:58
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

That's actually a good idea because people in the same "class" tend to lose at about the same rate, so that's a great idea for a support group!

I belong to a thread called "140 Anyone?" where we all have 140 as a goal and it's wonderful to have regular support from a regular group. This makes more sense to me, though, for the reasons stated above. Great idea!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 04:31

BF:

Thanks for the support. Why not start one for 160-169? And I'll try and join you before Xmnas!

Any other takers?

Sara
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 03:22

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ok , here I am
I liked the title cos it reminds me of the "Infinite Improbability Drive" from H2G2, which is probably driving my fat loss, at that.

Im not very good with deadlines tho' they make me cross, so as long as its elastic , thats ok

10 lb increments is a good idea, as I cant think of the whole lot at once:too stunning.

plum signing in at 196.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 13:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Don't forget, there already a very busy 190's coundown club going on:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=26755

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 07:43

BF:

Just had taken a look and yes, it is busy, but not specifically for folk in a certain weight band, which is what I had in mind.

So, here I am at 194 (well, 199 this morning as TOM is due) and was hoping to get to 190 for the hols - but that is 10 days away and I'm not going to kill myself over it.

So, what do people in the 190's measure? do you measure in cms or in inches?

What size clothes do you find you fit into most comfortably?

Have you been this size recently?

I personally think I am about the same size as I was around 2 years ago.

So does this make me 2 years younger, I hope so!

A key time for me is to get back to how I was just after I had DS (6 years ago) at 170 -ish. Believe it or not I was lighter after I had him than before I got pregnant. (must take up breast-feeding again!).

I feel sometimes I am trying to get back to an age, as much as a weight - being heavy makes me look and feel so much older - does it you?

I'll call in again in day or two and see how we are doing. Do recruit anyone else you find on your travels.

Sara
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 19:30

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Talking Weighing in, Cap'n Sara!

Yeah, I'm back like that proverbial bad penny. Drat those pounds that didn't go away for good--but whose fault is it? Mine, of course. So--here I am *again* looking at 190s on my scale.

You've been such a help in my journal, Sara--and Plum, you too, lady. I'm back with a vengeance now, so LET'S DO THIS THING!!!

197, as of this morning.... (but yesterday it read 199, so hey, I'll take it!!)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 00:03

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Here I am!

I weighed 199 two days ago. I have not weighed myself since, but I doubt that I have gained weight.

I don't have a specific goal for getting down to 190 or 189 in terms of how long it will take. My main interest is controlling my blood sugar and weight loss is a secondary but extremely important part of that goal.

I don't think I have seen less than 200 pounds since about 1988 so this is a big accomplishment for me.

I have not measured myself at all. I can speak about clothing size though: My size 26-28 pants were starting to FALL off of me about a month ago. I had to use a safety pin to hold them up. I am still wearing the clothes I wore in the past, but I can tell with most things that the fit is looser .

I don't known if being heavy makes me LOOK older, but it certainly makes me feel like an old lady.

Thanks for starting this club and I will report back in as soon as I next weigh myself. Possibly tomorrow. I want to follow my WOE carefully but I want to avoid obsessive thinking about weight. That did nothing to help me in the past; only hurt me and made the entire situation worse.

So I am thinking that while this WOE is crucial for my survival, I don't want to make it the only thing in my life!

Natalie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 03:25

BF:

Hi Karen, Plum and Destro!

Glad to have you with us.

Don't know about 'and falling' bit of this group's name, I am definitely increasing. Been having huge carb cravings lately and though I've not given in, I've had to up the calorie enormously to compensate.

I reckon that is better as, psychologically, I haven't cheated. And, as we know , that is a good thing.

HOWEVER ...... I am off to France for a fortnight tomorrow - all that fantastic bread and chocolate croissant.

I will try my best not to start on them, as the sooner I do, the more weight I will have to lose when I get back, - not to mention the effort of getting back on the waggon.

So, wish me luck.

Listen, girls, can you keep this page going while I am away, it is still in its infancy and I don't want it to die from lack of attention in my absence!

Better go now and do some work

Hugs to you all

Sara
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 11:14

Dear Sara,

Have a great time in France! How I envy you. But guess what? I am not envying the food in France, I am envying the atmosphere, the museums, and hope that you will enjoy the wonders of France, which are numerous, that do not include the food.

I am still at 199 today, but I am not going to worry about it since my blood sugars are good.

Take care,

Natalie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 15:20

Default Oh, how I envy you Europeans....

being able to just nip over to another country like that, instead of having to scrimp and save hundreds for airfare.... ::SIGH::

I spent a week in France one night. Seriously--the one night our tour was there was awful. And we weren't even in Paris (which from what I hear is filled with people who simply despise Americans, moreso than that provincial little corner where we were--Strasbourg). Instead of French food, they gave us hamburgers and pommes frites. And NO KETCHUP for the frites. UGH. (We were in high school, and yes, this was *before* President Reagan declared ketchup a vegetable.)

Anyway, dear Sara, have a WONDERFUL vacation.

I'll wave a sparkler around for you tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 10:56

I came in here today to announce that I lost another pound. It's no big deal since I am mostly concerned about blood sugar rather than weight, but I also know that I MUST lost weight in order to regain my health.

Karen, I am sorry that you did not have a good experience in France. I spent a whole month there (December, 1995) and it was a good time to be a tourist. No lines in front of the Mona Lisa at all! I did not sense much hostility to Americans, but I decided that I was not going to look for it. I think that if anything, the French that I dealt with were a little amused by me because I made every effort to speak the language even with my atrocious accent.

The food was good, but that was many many years before I had heard of Low-carbing. I think that if you work carefully at it, and come prepared with a clear idea of what you want to it, that it's eminently possible to low-carb in France.

One of the most fascinating experiences of my life was spending Christmas in Lourdes! And going to Midnight Mass in Toulouse.

But I have the travel bug real bad. I am really glad that I never have really had a mentality that I travel to eat---I travel to people watch and visit the elegant old art museums and cathedrals that Europe has and that we don't have much of since we are such a younger country.

Got way off topic there...sorry.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 16:40

Thumbs up Congrats!

WTG on that 1lb loss! Every little bit is worth celebrating, isn't it??

As for getting OT--I honestly don't think there's really any such thing around here. We're here to talk and support, and if that takes the form of yammering about France, well--so be it!

I'm still having terrible trouble getting my mind set back on LCing, even though I know how much I've regained by "goin' agin the ways" (Anyone else remember that cheesey made-for-tv flick with Bette Davis, what was it called.... oh, "Harvest Home", right!) I honestly don't know what it's going to take. Already my size 12 jeans have no hope of even zipping, let alone being *worn*, and the 14s are headed that way. What in blazes is WRONG with me?

I think I know, actually. I freaked out at all the attention I got when I was at my "thinnest" a few months back. I've never been one to turn heads with my appearance. When that began happening, I honestly did not know how to handle it. Apparently I made the decision to stop it by not falling, but *leaping* off the LC wagon.

And I'm finding it hard to climb back on, this time. I can still see the back end of it, and it's not entirely out of reach--but when I *think* I have a hold on that last slat, it slips and down I go.

I *do* want to wear those size 12s again. I *don't* want my 14s to get so tight I can't zip them. (I gave away everything bigger than that *months* ago--I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO WEAR!)

Here's to trying again tomorrow.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 20:09

Yes, keep trying, Karen! Go for it tomorrow and then the next day, and so on!

I still have a pretty good LC mind-set but I know my own ways and I know that I have to watch for self-sabotage just around the corner.

It was probably very smart to get rid of your larger sized clothing; something I might contemplate doing.

One of the things that makes me feel very uneasy--and it's probably my own problem--is when people congratulate me on losing weight. I tend to hem and haw and mumble. I know that they mean well and that they are telling me that I "look better" but I guess it's still a psychological thing: just a reminder of the fact that much as I hope to be "invisible" I really am not.

You can do it, Karen!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 05:22

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

hi, girls Im wondering how you are and how was July 4th ?? we heard lots of fireworks go off hereabouts at about 11 . 30 pm, all the American people living nearby celebrating.

Glad to report 2 " off for this week. No scale loss but Im slowly changing my mind set about that one. Its just so nice to get back into some old clothes that the scale is becoming less important.

Im used to reading about this scale vs inch loss thing and get cross because I was getting neither. Now Im feeling like a proper low carber