Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/220/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default A new low and reaching out to others for guidance

I always thought I would be able to lose weight if I 'really put my mind to it'. What a joke on myself because I have come to realize I have a sugar addiction! I never used to eat much sweet food until I went through a very stressful life event, became depressed, and gained 80 lbs. It happened very quickly and I was in total denial that it was happening at all. Fast forward 6 months, the fog lifted and I was moving on and rebuilding my life, just 80 lbs heavier. But now, after 5 years I was never able to lose the weight and keep it off. My body and brain were not my own anymore. My brain tells me I have to have bad food and even engages in a level of self deception that I cannot recognize at that time. Its like a have a mental illness! I have lost 20 lbs one time and another time 50 lbs,,, but it all came right back because I was using diet pills to trick my brain. Hunger and the need to eat are a beast to me that I fight every second of every day and I am losing the battle.

Ok, I have admitted I am a food-a-holic. I need help before its too late. My self esteem is at an all time low, my health is suffering and I have pain all the time for no good reason.

It is time for me to quit being a pansy and take charge. I refuse to be beaten by the demon in my brain driving me and ruining my life. I know I can get control and I know I will need to learn to use the right weapons for this epic battle to regain control of myself.

I have been reading and researching everything I can about low carb eating and life-style changes. There seems to be so much knowledge and experience here and I am ready to learn. I am on my way to buy a notebook for a food journal and to start stocking my pantry with the right foods.

I feel hope I can make it this time. Thank you all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 11:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Daisy

We are all here to help each other. If you have looked around at the different sub-forums it has just about everything...including a food journal. If you write your journal here others can comment on what you are doing and offer tips. There are buddy groups and challenges if you think a daily or weekly accountability to others will help you. There are the new articles on the latest research if reinforcing what you have learned about improving your health will help. Find what you think will help you the most based on your personality, steps to change habits. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195
There have been a number of posts on sugar addiction on this website: https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=sugar+addiction

Let us know how we can help. All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 11:57

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

When I started, the first thing I did was give away all the food and drink that I wouldn't be using any more. My friends and the food bank benefited from my decision, so I felt better about "throwing away money." For me, if it's not in the house, I'm far less likely to eat it. At the beginning, you'll find little tricks like that, that work for you, and before long at all, you'll be eating low-carb because it's what you want to do. I'm so glad you're here! Keep coming back.

Meg
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 16:37

BF:

Thank you very much for the welcome.

Jey I watched the videos I was able to see and followed the links. Thank you so much they are very helpful and I bought a few books to read.

Melesana I have been cleaning my cabinets and freezer and I think if I do indulge it will be with much healthier options. I live very rural so running to the convenience store is not something I have to deal with fortunately.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 08:47

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

DaisyDream - if you need to indulge, go overboard (ie fill up) on foods on plan - a juicy steak, veggies with cheese - eating too many calories can stall you, but you wont allow that sugar high into your brain, which makes it easier to derail good eating.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 02:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Daisy Dream...how are you doing?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 06:31

Plan: 15th May 2017
Stats: 270/257/173 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Hi DaisyDream, welcome
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 06:41

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Daisy Dream, one day, one step at a time, stop and listen to the advise form others on this forum, remember we have all been there. Celebrate small victories, and build on it. I personally find that recording every single thing that I put in my mouth helps a lot, good luck to you, have a positive day, drop by some time to my journal. ttyl
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-01-17, 21:46

Stats: 315/230/185 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 65%

Welcome daisy dream. Hope your doing good. My advice is to eat as much as you want OP during these first weeks. Being hungry is a recipe for failure in the beginning. It is hard to unlearn all we have been told our whole lives to eat low fat high carb. Your mind will tell you will this really work, you are eating to much, to much fat etc... But will you will see very quickly staying OP on LCHF is your full for longer & your cravings start to diminish. I wish you the best. You can do this.

Chris
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-17, 11:11

BF:

Thank you everyone and sorry it took so long for me to respond.
I have been visiting family and it was very difficult to stick to low carb as they are as big of food-a-holics as I am.
But, on the positive side I have drastically reduced my sugar intake over the last couple weeks. I have eaten more green veges, cheeses, and quality cuts of meats. Surprisingly it hasn't been more pricey when I figured out how much I was spending on fast foods and junk.
I am back home and have no carby foods and sweets in the house. Not even hidden! I received my Atkins '72 in the mail while I was gone and have my groceries bought to really start into it. Before I left I had a check-up and I will post what I found in the appropriate place.
Again, thank you all for the good advice. I am following every bit of it.