Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 05:46
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%
Default 10,000 steps

I used to walk for 30 to 60 minutes most days pretty vigorously, but have been having major knee problems and have taken a few weeks off. The knee pain is better, but I'm afraid to start back up with a vigorous walking program, at least until I get maybe 20 pounds or so off. I pulled out my pedometer yesterday and am going to try to work up to 10,000 steps a day of walking - not as an exercise session, but spread out over the day. Anybody have success with getting exercise this way?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 09:03

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You could try pool running if you have access to a pool. It's not like water aerobics where you impact the bottom of the pool. You wear a floaty belt (see www.aquajogger.com for an example) and do a running motion in the deep end of the water. The belt keeps you upright. It's great for knee rehabilitation. Have you ever gotten your knee checked out? It's not necessarily your weight that's the problem - plenty of people lots heavier than you do not have problems with their knees, walking or even running.

Good luck!

Janine
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-08, 16:46
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I tried wearing a pedometer. The only way I could even come close to getting in 10,000 steps is if half of them came from my daily workout of jogging 3 miles. However, I work in an office sitting at a desk most of the day, so my steps are pretty limited. Unless you work in a field where your always on the go, like a nurse, it's not that easy getting in that many steps without actually setting aside some time for it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-08, 05:17
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Janine, thanks for your post. My knee is much better - I strained the ligament that runs behind the knee. Unfortunately, I didn't give it long enough to heal and strained it again by jumping back into vigorous exercise. It feels back to 100% now and I'm trying to "ease" back into exercise. I have a great place to walk and messed up by going right back to 60 minutes of fast walking with intervals of short jogs - big mistake!

You're right, Marcia. I've been averaging about 3,000 steps a day just wearing the thing (I work at a computer all day) - pretty pathetic. Makes me realize just how "sedentary" my job is!