Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/256/180 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Increase walking

My son suggested that I download the Pokemon go game (app). You have to walk to "catch" different cartoon creatures. There are checkpoints that allow you to fill your resources that are in your area (the game uses google maps). I'm starting today.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 11:30

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Fun! My "kids" (young adults) are also playing it. Just be careful. I saw a news report this morning that people are getting hurt walking into things like trees!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 19:20

Plan: LC IF
Stats: 330/265/185 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 45%

I use a fitbit, and if you have friends on it you can set up all kinds of fun walking challenges, daily or weekly. It's great to gamify your exercise. Unfortunately, though I was able to download Pokeman Go, it's not yet working in my part of the world.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 20:58

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I use a Fitbit, but didn't know you could do challenges with friends on it. Thanks. The good thing about that vs Pokemon is your steps update once you're connected with the Fitbit, but you have to use data with the Pokemon game.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 04:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'm not the only Mom completely freaked out by the evil potential of this game.

Quote:
Armed robbers use the game to lure lone players

Missouri police have reported that armed robbers are using Pokémon Go to snare victims in isolated places.
Officers took four suspects into custody after receiving a 911 call around 2 a.m. local time Sunday morning. They later located a handgun, according to a statement from the O'Fallon police department.
"Using the geolocation feature of the 'Pokemon Go' app the robbers were able to anticipate the location and level of seclusion of unwitting victims," officials said.
"The way we believe it was used is you can add a beacon to a pokestop to lure more players. Apparently they were using the app to locate ppl standing around in the middle of a parking lot or whatever other location they were in," O'Fallon police posted on Facebook.
The game allows players to drop a Lure module in a real world location to attract high numbers of Pokémon for 30 minutes. The lure modules have reportedly also been used by business owners to bring people to their stores.
In a joint statement, the app's makers The Pokémon Company International and Niantic said they were aware of incidents involving some players.
"We encourage all people playing Pokémon GO to be aware of their surroundings and to play with friends when going to new or unfamiliar places. Please remember to be safe and alert at all times."

If you are not worried about the rape and robbery potential of others sending you to secluded places, at the least be aware of the ability of donut and ice cream shops to lure you into their stores.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 05:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Have you all seen this?

Wyoming teenager finds dead body in river while playing Pokémon Go app

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ticle-1.2704983

Source: NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Saturday, July 9, 2016, 2:12 PM
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 05:49
Registered Member

BF:

I read all they evil that people have already done using this app and it is appalling. BUT, I have no plans to chase mythical creatures into areas that I don't feel safe. Even Ice Cream shops. LOL
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 08:42

Stats: 300/300/215 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress:

If you have children, I recommend going with them or having groups go out. It's dangerous out there and we have to be careful. I had a random kid walk up to my car yesterday to ask me if I was playing ... I wasn't, but that is so dangerous!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 09:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And this headline was on MedPage today:
"Falls, bruises, twisted ankles: The new Pokemon game is becoming a health hazard"
The orthopedic docs will see an increase in business which already has happened with people who don't watch where they are walking while looking at their phones.

Local ballpark is opening their field for a pet adoption charity to allow fans to catch Pokemons...days after the app is out...social media lightening speed.
Safe and $5 to a good cause.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-12-16 at 03:10.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 10:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

haha, i popped in to post about the poor teen who found the body!

so, on a lighter note, some guy caught one while watching his wife in labor. she wasn't having contraction at time, and was amused by it

if you like games, there is a free app where zombies "chase you." if you start slowing down from whatever your normal pace is, you get eaten.....
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 09:16

Stats: 300/300/215 Male 6 foot
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
so, on a lighter note, some guy caught one while watching his wife in labor. she wasn't having contraction at time, and was amused by it

I saw tons of memes on Ifunny about Pokemon Go and the interesting places people have found the characters. It's funny to see them in everyday life - even if it's just virtual. I give them kudos for getting people out there and walking around.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 11:31

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's amazing how quickly this thing has taken off. I hadn't even heard of it until last weekend when my sister mentioned she'd walked 40km in a week while playing it. And all of a sudden this week, I'm seeing people playing it during my daily walk to work.

Me, I might be a gamer, but I'm much too safety-conscious for phone gaming. Give me a good old fashioned PC anyday.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-16, 03:12
Registered Member

BF:

It is fun and encourages people to get outside and move. My son actually asked if I wanted to go with him this weekend to walk around a park to catch Pokémon! He is a CPU gamer and to get him outside walking around is outstanding! I agree it can be dangerous especially if people are playing it while driving.