Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins, then BFL, now Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 144/111/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default A Dessert Question

Since I started BFL last Fall we have enjoyed a thing called free day which is built into the program. I didn't do it last weekend and I really want to participate with my family this weekend (been doing SP for about 10 days). I'm not talking about a full out free day like I normally would have had but just a treat or two. I was thinking of buying some low carb chocolate or something along those lines but am wondering if it would be better to go ahead and have the real thing like everyone else. I know it would be better not to partake at all but the thought of never indulging again makes me very sad. I could probably go without if I lived alone. But I feel so left out and deprived and angry when I can't have something with the family. This once a week free day is something they all look forward to and has become part of our routine since last Fall and won't be something they are willing to give up.

What do you think? how do I handle this?

Denise
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 17:55
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Denise:

It sounds like you've made up your mind, it's a matter of deciding the most appropriate thing to eat.

For self medication, Dr. S. (on one of the clips on her website) mentions finding ice cream that is made with natural ingredients and sugars. You could probably check out your local HFS for some ideas. I wouldn't go the LC food route b/c they are highly processed foods.

Personally, I wouldn't make it a weekly habit, but then I'm a sugar addict. It's too hard getting back on track.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Jun-06-03 at 17:59.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:36

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default "free day"

How about instead of a "free day", you and your family plan something fun to do together besides eating unhealthy food? Go to a park, museum, beach, watch a movie, whatever y'all enjoy. It would be a good example for your children that you can have fun without eating junk.

As far as cheating goes in general, I did well for about a year allowing myself one regular dessert a month. Then it became once a week, then whenever we went out to eat at a nice restaurant, then whenever I felt like it... The pounds and body fat started to creep up so I am cracking down again!

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 09:07
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
How about instead of a "free day", you and your family plan something fun to do together besides eating unhealthy food? Go to a park, museum, beach, watch a movie, whatever y'all enjoy. It would be a good example for your children that you can have fun without eating junk.

I don't think you can get better advice than Jen's. Good luck on your decision.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 06:52
Registered Member

BF:

Yep! I know you are right about doing something other than eating for fun. Husband doesn't agree though. He feels he has worked and worked out hard all week and wants to indulge some. If this changes it will be gradual shift.

I got your responses yesterday morning but didn't have time right then to respond myself. We were on the go from the time we got up. Ran a lot of errands and found some dresses on sale that I really liked for 2 weddings we are attending this summer. They fit so well and after reading what you had to say I didn't partake. We went to a chinese buffet for lunch. I made appropriate choices even though my family loaded up on dessert at the end. I didn't overeat either! You know it's not the desserts or a sugar craving that is giving me fits but the thought of being left out. That's what makes me upset.

I know what will happen today. My husband will probably ask me to make cookies. The last few times he has made them with my daughter. He understands it is difficult for mew to make them and then not eat them. I'll suggest they do that again and make myself busy doing something else if this happens. I hate that. Then the week days will go fine because we all eat the same on those days. So until I get used to it or I get them doing this less, I may have this struggle every weekend. YUK!

Thanks for the support ladies. It helps!

Denise
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 07:17
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Denise:

Good girl! Congratulations for resisting.

Quote:
You know it's not the desserts or a sugar craving that is giving me fits but the thought of being left out. That's what makes me upset.

OMG, I really hear ya! I tend to avoid situations where I think I might get out of control. I'm not sure which is worse, eating the crap or self-imposed isolation. But I hope one day this will all sort itself out and the temptations will disappear. That's what Dr. S. says anyway.

Quote:
Husband doesn't agree though. He feels he has worked and worked out hard all week and wants to indulge some.

I really feel for you Denise. Maybe he needs to understand that your children's health depends on it. I know it's hard to get through to some people. I give you credit for even being around junk food and being able to resist. I couldn't live with it in my house.

Good luck on resisting! Stay strong!

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 20:51

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default family stuff

This WOE was hard on my family at first, too. I used to make pancakes every weekend, and I just gradually started making them less and less often, until now I only make them every few months on average. When I make them, I don't eat them, but I don't feel deprived because I remember how unsatisfied I always felt a couple hours after eating pancakes. We also used to eat a lot of pasta, order pizza, and go out to eat burritos often.

I've know since high school that I can't tolerate sugar, so I am used to being "left out" of the junk food circle. You do get used to it, and you're family will get used to it not being something you're interested in. Get them involved in making healthy fun foods as well - my dd loves helping me make the deep dish pizza quiche, for example, and whenever she gets to help with a meal she eats better.

You did great this weekend! It will only get easier!

Jen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 07:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the encouragement! I made it through Sunday too! And the family didn't ask me to make cookies like they usually do. My son asked me this morning why we didn't have a treat on Sunday. I told him that they all had treats on Sat. (buffet) and that that was plenty. He said , "OH". But like you said they'll start to get used to it.

Thanks again!

Denise
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 152/135/130
BF:??/25%/21% or less
Progress: 77%

A weird thing happened to me recently. I decided to eat the Low-Carb cookie from the cupboard as a "treat" to myself. I had bought them before I started TSP and couldn't bear to throw them away. I enjoyed it and didn't damage my diet in any other way. I ate a protein with it and veggies. BUT, that night, I was sick as a dog! My stomach hurt and woke me up and then I was sick to my stomach. It was sweetened with Malitol and I quess my body was just too used to real food!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 09:56

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Sweets & Treats

My daughter hosted a birthday bbq for me this past Sunday. I have been sticking to TSP and been feeling really good - no cheats! On Sunday we had a low carb dinner but for dessert one of the guests picked up some ice cream and nanaimo bars, knowing that this (used to be) was one of my favourite treats. I didn't have the heart to disappoint the guest at my birthday dinner so when dessert time came I whispered to my daughter,who was serving the dessert, "just a half portion for me". Since she is on TSP she understood.

But I'll tell you, on Monday I felt "hung over" and I had not had more than one drink all day and I had lots and lots of water. All day Monday I was tired and did not sleep well Monday night. I have not had sweets since then and have not felt "hung over". I can't believe, a former sugar addict like myself, would get this intense a reaction from eating a small portion of a sugar-laden dessert. This was a real eye-opener for me.

Live and learn (I guess)!