Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:38

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Exclamation Obervation: What Size am I???

I just had to share my recent shopping experience.

I took my measurements shortly before going out. Went on a few "clothing" websites that had "size charts" to kinda figure out what size I may be. Per most charts, I was a 14 on top, a 10 on bottom and for skirts...a 12.

I went shopping....took about 6 pairs of pants to the dressing room. Size "10"s -- a few did not fit, one I couldn't get past my thighs, but most were baggy and way too big. Out of these 6 - only one pair wsa "OK" but a bit tight in waist so I did not purchase them.

To make this thread brief.... I still to this day don't know what size I am! I have pants/slacks ranging from size 6 to 13. Most size 12 dresses/fitted tops fit but many I have to take a larger size. I even have a size 10 dress that fits me perfectly.

This is very frustrating since I cannot just "buy off the rack" - - I now must try on everything! I don't remember being so confused when I was 198 lbs!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:58

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

I have that exact same problem... I wish manufacturers would be more consistant with their sizing.
I will try on a dozen pants, and none of them will fit my body (and the same brand!!!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I know it can be frustrating, my daughter is 115 pounds and wears anywhere from a 2 to a 7 depending on the brand and the cut. I just have her try everything on because even the same brand one will be big and one small.

Someone said they cut through stacks of clothes at the factory so that attributes to the difference in the same brand and style fitting different.

I've told her it doesn't matter (she was so bummed the last pair of jeans was a 7) what the size is but that they fit her well, she's in good shape, has a nice figure.

Still doesn't it make us feel nice if we can just run in and grab a size 10 and know it will fit beautifully when we get home??
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:03

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Yup unfortunately, they don't all use the same sort of chart! For me I could wear anything from a size 2 to a size 5, depending what piece of clothing it is, what brand name it is, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:12

I saw a show on Discovery about fashion... and they had this lady who was the sizing model. She is a SIZE 6!!! They take her measurments, and then just add or subtract a little for the different sizes!

I'm sorry, but the shape of a size 14 woman is not the shape of a size 6... and that's one of the reasons why clothing sizes are sooooo off!

If I could go to the store and get pants that are size 32-43-long (size of waist/hips/length) that would be so great! You know, if women's pants were sized waist-hip-length we would be able to do what our husbands have done for years!

I generally don't wear women's pants for this very reason. I can go to the men's dept., pick out some 34-32 pants, and they WILL fit. No questions asked. Men's pants are nicer too, better quality- they DON'T go out of style in five minutes.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I've noticed the same thing and it's driving me batty. Good to see I'm not imagining this. I too don't remember it being this bad a few years back. You may have varied by one size depending on the manufacturer but not by SEVERAL sizes. I have a few pairs of size 16 jeans that I can easily yank off with out unbuttoning and others that I still fell like a stuffed sausage in. It makes no sense! I not only notice it for me but I have and 8 yr old daughter and clothes for her age are the same way. Kinda squashes catalogue and internet shopping, huh? We all need to become more familiar with our measurements so we can shop that way instead of just by size I guess.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:32
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Frustrating.....

I would love to be able to run into a store, grab a pair of jeans off of the sale rack....take them home & have them fit.....won't happen...unless of course I have another pair of the same jeans at home that I know fit.

I hate shopping at the best of times....even more so when I have to try on 20 pairs of pants in 4 different sizes to find a pair that fit...arggggggg.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

Not to mention that the more expensive clothing companies tend to make their clothes a little bigger so that you fit into a "smaller" size.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I hate shopping for clothes. I buy all my clothes from L.L. Bean and Landsend - if they don't have it, I don't need it. Their stuff is consistent with the measurements on their "find you size" pages. No, it isn't cheap but the lack of hassle is worth it. Fortunately, casual clothes are perfect for my work and free time.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:27

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I was watching "what not to Wear" I love that show... I know thwy can be mean but I still love that show. ANYWAY the host gave the best advice... Don't be hung up on a size buy clothes that fit. The Size on the label means NOTHING fit means everything!!!

I've learned that the hard way!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:41

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

galaga, man oh man i wish they'd size women's pants like they do men's! that way i wouldn't have to go searching all over for that perfect size that would fit me.. i mean i could find a great pair of looking jeans, but many a times i would not be able to fit properly into any of the sizes they have.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have a dress I love, well ok it's kind of ugly, but it says "Small 4-6". What I mostly wear is size 8.

My problem is anything below a size 12 they make "fitted" to where it shows every roll and pudge. Apperently you are supsoed to be completely toned when you get lower then 12. This means I rarely wear things that fit.

I have alway shad that issue with bras too. I measure under my breasts and it's 33 inches. I wear a 36-38. I had one sales person measure me, then try to get me to wear a 36 (this was back pre LC day when I was doing low fat and around 150). She couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit, even though my measurments say it should
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/158/135 Female 68.5 inches
BF:i don't even know
Progress: 44%

no manufacturing company makes things the same size as another... i've noticed it in shoes too... like my adidas, i'm a 9.5, my nikes, 9.0, and sketchers 10.0. hehe, i have big feet. i have the same problems with jeans. and yes, the big name companies do make thier clothes bigger so you can fit into a smaller size.. i have jeans ranging from 10-14. and let me tell you, it is such a pain in the butt to go into a store and pull something. i just kinda stick to what i know. in old navy i take a 12, Gap 14, and abercrombie 10. i just kinda stick to that... but someone was saying that they wish they would label clothes in waist/hips/length : if you were to shop on ebay, like i do.... they do that. especially on womens clothing, and it's cheaper. i get more than half my clothes from there. and i never have a problem of them not fitting.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:27

HA! You have big feet???

My New Balance are a Men's 10.5, my casual shoes are a men's 10, and my dress shoes are a women's 12.

Shoe shopping is hell for me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 19:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My feet aren't that big, size 8-8.5 but even that seems big to most shoe stores. Things have gotten better in recent years, but I remember shopping for shoes years ago and everything above size 6 was just plain ugly. It was like you should just wear the box the things come in :P

I think women's feet are getting bigger, or maybe we're not trying to squeeze into smaller shoes now just to say we can. There is alot more choices at size 8 and 9 and they look like normal dress shoes, not orthapedic supports.