Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 11:33

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Getting myself de-lurked!

Hello all -

I've been floating around the site for a few weeks, and the forum for the last few days.

I am on my third round of LC (Schwartzbein Principle) in two years - I keep losing the same 30 lbs and then regaining them. Each time I last a bit longer so hopefully this time will be forever!! I started the WOE just over a month ago and have lost around 20 lbs LC'ing and exercise almost everyday.

I am a mom of 2 (3 1/2 and 2 yo) and work for the Government of Canada (Health) in Ottawa. I am also a prenatal educator and doula (labour support). I have already learned so much from reading the posts this week and hope to learn more!

Thanks,

lisaf
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default hello

Hi Lisaf, just wanted to say welcome. Everyone here, as you probably noticed, is very supportive and has a lot of information. I'm glad you decided to join us. I was a lurker for a while myself and I am so glad I finaly decided to speak up.

I have a 2yo, too and I also have a 10yo (both girls).

20lbs in a little over a month is great!! Outstanding even!! Congradulation!! Remember you didn't put that weight on in a day so you can't expect to loss it in a day. I wonder why you keep regaining the weight? Do you go back to your old way of eating after you loose the 30 pounds?

Good luck and welcome,
Tina
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 12:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Welcome Lisaf,

I was wondering if you could describe just what a "doula" does... I have heard that name before but am totally in the dark here

Bonnie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 12:18

BF:
Default Weight "regain" and doula-ing

Wow! Great to get replies (fulfills my need to feel popular - thanks guys)!

To reply to the question about why I re-gain...its back to the old way of eating. I have this "thing" where I believe if I'm not being perfect ALL the time then the whole diet/woe goes out the window. I'm working hard on this at the moment. I've had my husband hide the scale now because I can become quite obsessive about weighing myself (i.e. three times a day or more). This time I'm trying to focus on how I feel, rather than defining myself as a number on the scale. And lately I'm feeling wonderful!

As for being a doula...I provide a certain level of prenatal education and support to pregnant women and then will be present for the labour and delivery to provide physical, emotional and informational support. Studies have shown that having a doula decreases the amount of medical interventions quite significantly (including cesearean section).

Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 12:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Lisa!

We can help you stay commited to this WOE by great advice and ceaseless nagging. But you're the one who will make the commitment to truly stick with it this time.

When you fall off, just get right back on. It gets easier the more you do it. You're developing the right attitude. Even if you're not losing weight, think of it as a change towards a healthier life.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 13:38

BF:
Wink Thanks

Wonderful! I find ceaseless nagging absolutely divine - I can hardly wait!

At the moment I'm having a battle with my head because I just input everything I ate today into FitDay and my fat % is something like 69%. The old low-fat-er in me had a hard time with that one!

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 13:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool hi Lisa, welcome aboard

hey, another Ontariariarian .... I'm in Kingston

I use fitday too, and regularly consume 65 to 70% of my daily calories as fat. In fact, I worry if I'm below 60 ... I'll go out and have a Tbsp of flax oil ... I use x.virgin olive oil and flax oil almost as supplements, and will add them intentionally to boost the beneficial fatty acid profile of my meals.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 13:55

BF:
Default Thanx doreen

I did see where you posted something similar on the Daily forum. Its nice to be reassured - I know people who would be watching me for signs of heart failure if they knew! The last two times I LC'd I didn't worry about fat much and it worked fine. In some ways, I felt amazing with all that wonderful butter and olive oil - properly "greased" I guess!

Now I have an excuse to go to Kingston...mind you, does anyone ever need an excuse to go to Kingston?

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 15:22
Registered Member

Stats: 235/221/140
BF:
Progress:

Hi lisaf. Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here also. You sound like you are doing great and I wish you luck in the future.

Brandi
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 08:07

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome lisa! congratulations on the 20lb loss! i tend to yo-yo as well. i am committed, but weak! it's so true though you just have to hop right back on the plan and not beat yourself up over it! like doreen i like to eat 65-75% fat. i use a lot of x-virgin olive oil. it's so good for you!