Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 17:57

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default ADA + EASD now approve low carb diets for T2D

http://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/10/07/a...low-carb-diets/

Quote:
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) & the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) have just released their new joint position statement which includes approval of low carbohydrate diets for use in the management of Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) in adults. This comes on the heels of Diabetes Australia having recently released an updated position statement in August titled Low Carbohydrate Eating for People with Diabetes (you can read more about that here).

This is huge!

By releasing this updated joint position statement, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) indicate that they now recognize a low carbohydrate diet as safe and effective lifestyle management of T2D in adults.

In the newly released joint position statement that was published online ahead of print on October 4, 2018 in the journal Diabetes Care, it was stated that the new recommendations were based on “a systematic evaluation of the literature since 2014” [1]. That is, approval for the use of low carbohydrate diets is based on current research.

Link to original article including PDF: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/co...9/27/dci18-0033

Found the part of interest on page 12:

Quote:
Dietary Quality and Eating Patterns.
There is no single ratio of carbohydrate, proteins, and fat intake that is optimal for every person with type 2 diabetes. Instead, there are many good options and professional guidelines usually recommend individually selected eating patterns that emphasize foods of demonstrated health bene fit, that minimize foods of demonstrated harm, and that accommodate patient preference and metabolic needs, with the goal of identifying healthy dietary habits that are feasible and sustainable.

Three trials of a Mediterranean eating pattern reported modest weight loss and improved glycemic control (66 – 68). In one of these, people with new-onset diabetes assigned to a lowcarbohydrate Mediterranean eating pattern were 37% less likely to require glucose-lowering medications over 4 years compared with patients assigned to a low-fat diet (HR 0.63 [95% CI 0.51, 0.86]). A meta-analysis of RCTs in patients with type 2 diabetes showed that the Mediterranean eating pattern reduced HbA1c more than control diets (mean difference 2 3.3 mmol/mol, 95% CI 2 5.1, 2 1.5 mmol/mol [ 2 0.30%, 95% CI 2 0.46%, 2 0.14%]) (69). Low-carbohydrate, low glycemic index, and high-protein diets, and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet all improve glycemic control, but the effect of the Mediterranean eating pattern appears to be the greatest (70 – 72). Low-carbohydrate diets ( , 26% of total energy) produce substantial reductions in HbA1c at 3 months ( 2 5.2 mmol/mol, 95% CI 2 7.8, 2 2.5 mmol/mol [ 2 0.47%, 95% CI 2 0.71%, 2 0.23%]) and 6 months (4.0 mmol/mol, 95% CI 2 6.8, 2 1.0 mmol/mol [ 2 0.36%, 95% CI 2 0.62%, 2 0.09%]), with diminishing effects at 12 and 24 months; no benefit of moderate carbohydrate restriction (26 – 45%) was observed (73). Vegetarian eating patterns have been shown to lower HbA1c , but not fasting glucose, compared with nonvegetarian ones (74). Very recent trials of different eating patterns in type 2 diabetes have typically also included weight reduction, hindering firm conclusions regarding the distinct contribution of dietary quality.

Consensus recommendation
All overweight and obese patients with diabetes should be advised of the health benefits of weight loss and encouraged to engage in a program of intensive lifestyle management, which may include food substitution,

So it's buried a bit amongst a bunch of other things, but at least it's there. As per the four stages of acceptance:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
4. I always said so.

Are we now somewhere between stages two and three?

Last edited by Grav : Mon, Oct-08-18 at 11:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 18:24
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

That is huge!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-18, 20:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This explains the change in diet recommendation recently given a friend at release from rehab. At 400+/- he is in and out of the hospital every couple months. Wife has endless excuses when I point out the driving cause of his health issues is a need to drop his weight. I have tried to give him support and the Dr Atkins plan as that is free and online for easy access. This new LC plan offers hope.

Will see if he follows this... or not.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

There was a page on the ADA website that I ran across a year or two ago that talked about whether it was possible to reverse diabetes through a low carb diet. They indicated that it was "technically" possible. But then they went on to emphasize all the risks of a low carb diet (low blood sugar) and its ineffectiveness in controlling diabetes long term. The article did say that remission was possible in the short term, but reported something like a .007% chance of staying in remission for 5 years or longer. The take-away from the article was, more or less, why would you even bother trying low carb. What we've been telling you to do all along is safer and more effective.

I saved the link to that article. I couldn't wait for the day when I would become one of the .007% who achieved remission through LCHF. My 5th year of remission comes up next June. Much to my surprise, it is a dead link now. They've taken that page down. All I can say is 'holy cow!' maybe we are finally turning the corner in making LCHF mainstream.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Oct-08-18 at 09:56.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 09:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
There was a page on the ADA website that I ran across a year or two ago that talked about whether it was possible to reverse diabetes through a low carb diet. They indicated that it was "technically" possible. But then they went on to emphasize all the risks of a low carb diet (low blood sugar) and its ineffectiveness in controlling diabetes long term. The article did say that remission was possible in the short term, but reported something like a .007% chance of staying in remission for 5 years or longer. The take-away from the article was, more or less, why would you even bother trying low carb. What we've been telling you to do all along is saver and more effective.

I saved the link to that article. I couldn't wait for the day when I would become one of the .007% who achieved remission through LCHF. My 5th year of remission comes up next June. Much to my surprise, it is a dead link now. They've taken that page down. All I can say is 'holy cow!' maybe we are finally turning the corner in making LCHF mainstream.

Yes, and even that was a concession: I remember when they said such an eating plan would give people heart attacks on top of their diabetes.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-18, 13:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Yes, and even that was a concession: I remember when they said such an eating plan would give people heart attacks on top of their diabetes.

Funny how things work. The troubling thing is that SAD gives people heart attacks on top of their diabetes. Remarkable . . .