Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 10:31

Plan: CAD / CALP
Stats: 189/174/135---
BF:
Progress:
Question High Cholesterol

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but have been following the CAD /CALP diet for a year. I lost 30 pounds in 5 months and then hit a plateau. I have stayed at about the same weight (give a pound or two) since then. My cholesterol dropped 16 points when I first lost the weight, but now has gone up 50 points and I'm still eating the CAD way.
I'm not sure what to do now.....If I start eating what the Dr's say is a healthy diet, I know that I will gain weight, if I stay with the high protein, low carb diet at least I will keep the weight off, have high cholesterol and risk a stroke.
Any one else have this situation??????? Any suggestions for me?????
Thanks to anyone that answers my post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 12:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi LadyRltr, welcome to our forum

Congrats on the lbs lost, and for maintaining ... still way better than gaining it all back!!

About the cholesterol ... a high total cholesterol is NOT an indication of disease, or disease risk even. What's more important is the HDL level (the "good" cholesterol) -- less than 35 is a risk factor, 50 is good and over 60 is protective against heart disease and stroke in women... .. Also, a high triglyceride level is more of a risk factor than total cholesterol ... over 200 is a definite risk factor .. and closer to 100 or even lower is highly desirable. Triglycerides are made from sugar molecules, 3 of them (the "tri" part) attached to a single fatty acid molecule. Cutting out sugar and refined carbs from your diet will be very helpful to keeping triglyceride levels under control.

CAD is helpful for controlling blood sugar swings and for keeping insulin levels under control. And also helpful for weight loss. Some folks can't handle the Reward Meal though, because that one big carb load just triggers all kind of problems. Even though you may be very strict about the 1 hr time limit for the reward meal, it may be that the choices of carbs you consume could be contributing to your plateau, and to the higher cholesterol level. Try eliminating ALLl sugar, white and refined starches, pasta, white rice etc ... instead have your carbs in the form of high-fiber starchy vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans & legumes and small portions of whole grains.

I wonder too, if it might kick-start things back into reduction mode if you try a lower carb level, such as Atkins or Protein Power. PP allows for somewhat higher carb intake, but instead of cramming it all into one meal, you spread your carbs evenly through the day. Exercise will be helpful also to rev. the metabolism. Even brisk walking is good.

Here are a couple of good websites about the myths of the dangers of high cholesterol. They also discuss the myth of the so-called "healthy diet" and the myth of the dangers of dietary fat and protein.
  • The Cholesterol Myths by Dr. by Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD.
  • "The Cholesterol Myth" by Barry Groves, author of "Eat Fat, Get Thin" ... this is an excellent article, and very long. Part 4 discusses The Dangers of Low Blood Cholesterol ... Part 9 outlines The Dangers of a "Healthy" Diet.
Very interesting and enlightening reading!

I look forward to reading more posts of your lowcarbing success.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 12:54

BF:
Progress:
Talking Thanks for your reply

Doreen, Thanks for the reply and the info on the websites.
I understand the significance with LDL, HDL and total cholesterol as well as triglyceride level, the problem is that everything went up this time. The last time, I was setting at 230 total and this time it is 281 total. All other levels rose to by at least 10 points.
I'm trying to cut the carb levels at my reward meal even furthur and drink plenty of water, eat tons of salad (fiber)and follow the plan.
CAD used to have a support group on the official site, but it isn't there any more and I don't even know if it is still active so I can't go there to see if anyone else has experienced this situation. The Dr. put me on Lipitor and I have to have blood work again in 3 months to see if it helps me any, hopefully the levels will decrease by the next blood draw.
Thanks for the reply and the support.
Helen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome lady rltr! so many people seem to have improved blood levels when on atkins and protein power plan! maybe you should try out doreen's suggestion and try one of these plans! you really won't miss your reward meals after a few days on the plans!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 05:10

Plan: CAD
Stats: 71/71/62
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy To test or not to test...

Hello LadyRltr and others,

I just wanted to post a new thread with the exact same heading and then I saw this one here. I have a similar problem. The last time I had a blood test done my cholesterol was a bit too high. Now that I'm on the CAD everyone around me, especially my mother, keeps nagging about the high cholesterol level of everything I'm eating. I eat 2 to 3 eggs every day which worries her a lot. To calm her down a bit I have promised her to take another blood test in about 4 weeks. Now I'm not so sure if I have done the right thing. What if my cholesterol level doesn't fall, like it has for many of you, but rise instead!? I'm confused, what should I tell her? I don't really have any arguments against her HC-theory, regarding the eggs and all that. Should I take the test? What can I expect?

A bit scared tonight,
JennyO.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 08:36

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up To test or not to test

JennyO.

This is LadyRltr, and yes, yes you should get the test. In the beginning, I dropped my cholesterol 16 points and I started feeling better about everything I was doing to eat healthier for my body. Now that my chol has gone up past the original numbers, I'm looking for the answer to why it has gone up. I really think that I need to make sure that the rest of my body is working right and not causing my chol to rise.

By testing again, you have a idea of where your body is going with this WOE and if it is going to be okay for you. Let me know what happens when you get your new test and results.
Good luck to all of us.

Helen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 04:51

Plan: CAD
Stats: 71/71/62
BF:
Progress:

Hello Lady,

I know you're right. I think I'm really going to take the test. I'll probably do it in another few weeks to let the diet work. So far I have lost two kilos with it (4 lbs.!?) and I'm really pleased. It all seems so easy at the moment and I really love my reward meal. I'm sure it will get a bit thougher with time, though. I'm dreading the plateaus... Let me know how your going, too. I wish you the best of luck!

JennyO.