Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-13, 12:50
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Blueberry Fat Bombs

Recipe and more pics here: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/...erry-fat-bombs/
If you’re looking to up the fat intake on your ketogenic diet, I can’t think of a better way to do that than Fat Bombs! I keep my lemon-coconut version and chocolate version fat bombs in the freezer at all times, but do get tired of just those two flavors all the time. Today I decided to try a blueberry version. Made them two different ways. One, with whole berries; one with pureed berries. Not sure which is my fav, but I think the pureed are more visually appealing.

I just bought a large carton of blueberries this week and modified my lemon-coconut fat bomb recipe, making the obvious changes for this fruit. These came out delicious! I confess the pureed version was a little grainy, but blueberries don’t get all their lovely fiber count from nowhere, ya know. But the taste was delightful. As with all fat bombs, you have to eat them straight out of the freezer, as they melt quickly in your hands. These are suitable for Atkins Phase 2, OWL once you get to the berries level of the carb ladder. They are OK for Primal, but not Paleo. Below is a pic of the silicone honeycomb ice-cube trays I have.

INGREDIENTS:

1 scant cup blueberries (about 9/10 cup or 1-2T. less than a cup?)
1 stick butter
3/4 c. coconut oil
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ c. coconut cream
Preferred Sweetener to taste (I used 1 pkt. Stevia+ 6 drops liquid sucralose)

DIRECTIONS: You can put these together in either of two ways: using whole berries; or pureeing the ingredients. The latter more uniformly diffuses the blueberries. I like them both ways equally.

Place silicone candy molds onto a baking pan for support and set them near your work area. I used honeycomb silicone ice-cube trays to make the ones shown above. The recipe made 24 fat bombs for me that are about 1″x 1″. If your molds have smaller, shallower slots, you will undoubtedly get more than I did. (pic of the honeycomb pan I used is on my website linked above)

Pureed Version: Place berries, coconut cream and softened cream cheese in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and coconut oil. Cool slightly for 5 minutes and add to the food processor. Puree again until smooth. Add your sweetener of choice. Add sweetener slowly, tasting and adjusting to suit your preference level. I like to transfer the mixture to a spouted measuring cup or pitcher and gently pour the mixture into the molds not quite to the top. Place pan on level surface in your freezer and freeze about an hour. Pop them out and enjoy or freeze in plastic bags.

Whole Berry Version: (pic of this version on my website)Place 3-4 blueberries into each mold slots. In a saucepan, melt the butter and coconut oil over low heat. Remove from heat and slightly cool for 5 minutes or so. Add all remaining ingredients and whip well with a whisk or stick blender if you have one. The cream cheese will separate a bit, but not to worry, as it will taste just fine in the final treats. Add sweetener slowly, taste and adjust to your sweetness preference. Transfer the mixture to a spouted pitcher or spouted measuring cup for easy pouring into the molds. Fill each slot not quite full. Place in freezer on level surface for about 1 hour. Pop them out and enjoy or freeze in plastic bags.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Number of servings will vary, depending on size of molds.

1/24 batch: 116 cals., 13g fat, .44g protein, 1.02g carbs, .18g fiber, .84g NET CARBS

Entire recipe: 2788 calories, 311 g fat, 24.5 g carbs, 4.3 g fiber, 20.2 g NET CARBS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 19:06

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 365/307/120 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 24%

I'm searching for different ways to make fat bombs and I must say, these look so good! Thanks for posting
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 07:44
Patience Personified

They ARE good, KB. Try them some time!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 12:19

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 365/307/120 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 24%

Oh I plan on it Fat bombs are turning into somewhat of obsession with me lately I swear.
Do you think I could use any type of berry? I was thinking that maybe I'd probably have to use a sieve after pureeing something with small seeds like raspberries. Or should I just stick with blueberries?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-14, 13:26

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I've made them with raspberries and they're good (I don't strain them, the fiber is useful and the fruit is whole that way, I also don't add sweetener, but I've been eating low carb for years and my taste buds have adapted to unsweetened everything)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 08:39

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

YUMMY! I cant wait to try these!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 06:39
Patience Personified

These are really good. You'll like them Luddybell.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 09:14

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketoblonde
Oh I plan on it Fat bombs are turning into somewhat of obsession with me lately I swear.
Do you think I could use any type of berry? I was thinking that maybe I'd probably have to use a sieve after pureeing something with small seeds like raspberries. Or should I just stick with blueberries?

We have domestic and wild blackberry bushes (both have seeds though) as well as blueberry. I plan to do as I do for the blackberry jelly and put them through a sieve since we don't like the seeds. Some people like them in preserves, but I'm a "no seed" kinda girl. I have a larger "potato ricer" sieve I put it through first, then I use a medium screen colander and wooden spoon to press through the berry flesh and leave behind the seeds and skins.
Of course, they aren't ripe yet and I have to get to them before the birds, turkey and deer do... but that's my plan!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 09:16

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Peggy: Thanks for sharing this creation! I can always look to you for recipe inspiration!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 07:13
Patience Personified

Hope you enjoy these, Sereen. I'm envious of you having your own berry bushes. Every time I have tried to grow either type, they have died off in Texas heat/drought before they produce.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 14:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

These are to die for.... so creamy and luscious! Thanks for sharing!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 06:56
Patience Personified

I'm delighted you enjoyed them, Sbear! I need to make up a batch soon! So refreshing in the summertime!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-14, 13:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Peggy, my batch came out rather thick. It wasn't anywhere near pourable. Mattered not, as I just spooned it into my candy mold. Maybe it was because I started with, er, blueberries that were frozen (I buy them fresh and toss them in the freezer). My food processor blitzed them just fine, but the batter may have been too cold when I added the butter/coconut oil, thus thickening them. I just couldn't wait for them to thaw, I was so excited to make them!

I packed a little baggie of them to bring to work, then proceeded to leave them in the freezer at home. Rats.

Shirley

Last edited by Sbear : Tue, Jul-22-14 at 06:48.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 06:50
Patience Personified

Oh, I'm sure the cold berries are what thickened the coconut oil/butter. I use fresh berries for this recipe. Though frozen sure would work. Just let them come to room temp and that won't happen next batch. Hope you liked them!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 11:53
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Tried to make these, but I accidently left the Splenda out.

I'm sure they will be great, assuming I make them correctly next time...