Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/204/170 Male 6.0"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default A small dilemma

Hi Everyone,

New here so please be gentle! NOT having a go at anybody or anything. This ramble might not be all that interesting to others but I’ve found the whole thing’s taken my life over! All I do is think about me being on this diet/way of eating.

Been on Atkins for a week now (induction) and I’ve lost about 7lb – not bad eh? Thing is I feel so exhausted. I’ve definitely got the weakness in my legs going up stairs bit – and this me being a regular cyclist used to 40+ miles trips – but not at the moment… Also, a constant headache but I’m loosing weight so I’m prepared to suffer it for the weight loss. Of course, I have read up about on how to remedy this so hopefully it will right itself in time.

This is really bothering me though, and no, I am definitely not a ‘Metro Man’ type: it’s just that I feel guilty about eating all this meat. Don’t get me wrong here, I love meat but for a long time before I decided that I was just too fat and unhealthy and that a diet of carbs/junk food had to be addressed, I’d been very near the point of giving up meat altogether simply because I feel so guilty about the way we treat our animals.

Had Pork Belly strips and a few sprouts smothered in butter for tea tonight (yes, it’s tea up here), lovely. But of all the animals we grow for food these poor creatures (pigs) suffer the worst.

Course I’ll carry on with the plan but just wondering if anyone else has this conflict of conscience and if so, how do you square the circle?
I sincerely hope I haven’t upset anyone with my post, good luck to all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 14:30

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Well, I like meat , but if I thought the animals I was eating, although bred for slaughter, suffered before they got to the end of their lives I would not be happy. Do you know pigs suffer the most? My pigs didn't. they had a very good life. They had the best food, fresh air, space, a varied diet and a very, very quick end..... I read an article yesterday about the market for dog meat in the Phillipines and it made me feel bad, I still am shocked about it. I live in a farming community, mostly sheep. lamb and pigs. I know how they do the slaughter, and its done quick and clean.... what can I say!... If you can't live with the thought of meat killed for your consumption, then it's your choice not to eat it... Eat cheese, eggs, not sure if fish is your thing. I'm still haunted by the dog article... not just because its man's best friend but for the prolonged suffering these people didn't give a damn about...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 15:17
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaw
Well, I like meat , but if I thought the animals I was eating, although bred for slaughter, suffered before they got to the end of their lives I would not be happy. Do you know pigs suffer the most? My pigs didn't.

Teresaw, glad to see you (like me) like meat. I lived in Italy for eighteen years. Provincia Ascoli, in a rural setting. Had my own pigs, chickens, ducks, small flock of pecora. About ten (as soon as I could get them done, netured) stray cats/two dogs. Spent my time helping my neighbours, Sardi sheep farmers, who so helped me back in return. All this to assure you I know where you're coming from. I personally reared, tended, and killed my own - albeit with help from my neighbours regarding the pigs, in the most humane way I could - wish I could be dispatched thus!

With respect I think you're missing the point here. Just how do we cope in our urban boxes, watching these 'expose' type programmes on the TV regarding the suffering of animals whilst following a high meat eating WOL?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 15:35
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry everyone, I know this is not the place to discuss 'eficks', sorry for my ramblings. Just like everyone else - I wanna loose weight!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-11, 05:41

BF:

no, I get it.... I hate seeing the lambs being taken away.... and then hear and watch the mother sheeps calling for days, running up and down distraught looking for their babies.... I know farming is farming but....................... commercial animal production is not something I'm happy with, but it is anon. to me.. I don't see the faces, or know the story of their lives.... two values, I know!...
The old " dear " next door strangles pidgions if she finds then in the garden.... and that's why the dog nipped her... she's a slaughterer... and he senses it..... I can't step on an insect, including a cockroach if it face up!.... go figure. I even give flys a chance to escape through the window before I beat their brains out.... and yet I eat meat.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-12-11, 12:41

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I haven't completely been able to make peace with it, either. I try when I can to buy meat that has been raised humanely, but can't always afford it, so lots of times I just buy supermarket meats. And I know that even the humanely raised animals didn't want to die so they could become someone's dinner.

But even plants want to live and propagate their seeds. I've seen how hard most plants struggle to stay alive, even if I don't recognize their "life" as anything like my own. So when we eat plants, we are eating something that was once alive, as well. But the meat bothers me much more than the plants.

I guess I realize that we need to eat meat, so I try not to think about it. Not a very good answer, I'm afraid. I haven't figured out any way around the fact that something has to die so that I can eat it and live. But I never eat meat excessively...only what I need.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo-ish
Stats: 156.0/150.6/140.0 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasker12
Thing is I feel so exhausted. I’ve definitely got the weakness in my legs going up stairs bit – and this me being a regular cyclist used to 40+ miles trips – but not at the moment… Also, a constant headache but I’m loosing weight so I’m prepared to suffer it for the weight loss.

I just thought I'd respond to this bit - The answer is that I got this as well, and in my case it's to do with candida die-off. The good news is that it does go and the old "wobbly legs" as I call them are an indication that you're getting better! I occasionally get this if I fall off the diet wagon for more than a few days and then resume a strict diet. After 2 or 3 days I feel a lot better and full of energy again.

On the ethics side, I used to be vegetarian as a teenager and it does sometimes present pause for thought, but on the other hand we evolved to hunt and eat meat (paleo follower here), so it might be worth you considering eating organic meat only, if it troubles you?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 05:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks for not tearing me off a strip for asking what on reflection was such an impolite question. Actually it does help enormously to know others have the same concerns.

Tigerh, thanks for the suggestion that the weakness might be candida, happy to report that I'm feeling better now so hopefully it'll pass completely soon. Re your suggestion about organic meat, I've found a place that slaughters it's own local stock on the premises so I can tell myself that I've done my best on that front.

Teresaw - Come sti ? You made me laugh about the old contadina next door! I can just imagine her, there were loads like her where I was and the women used to kill all the small animals, talk about an introduction to rural life!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 09:25

BF:

you've got to watch the old 'uns.... they are not all like her, but one is enough. I think it pisses her off that we've been feeding a bumped dog for the last 2-3 years. My dog likes her and she's not a problem to anyone now that she gets to eat regularly....she feels she belongs to us now...... but I feel her resentment because this dog is always close bye..... well tough titties old bag! there's more shame in letting an animal die of starvation in front of your eyes than having it quietly sleeping close to your house. Just because you go to church on Sunday, doesn't make you a Christian! bitch.....yes... she pisses me off a bit!

I appologise for the rant
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 09:57
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Tasker--

I try and buy the best meat that I can for my budget--local, grassfed--beef, poultry, lamb, eggs. I refuse to purchase meats from places like Wal Mart for a variety of reasons including additives and farming practices.

We just do the best that we can at any given moment.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

cnmLisa: You've summed it all up with that reply.

Where you live sounds so lovely and unspoiled - stormy nights in bed. The wind howling down the chimney. Listening to the waves crashing on the rocks far below...

And now folks, let's all get back to being complete and permanent loosers!