Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 16:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Queensland travel info, as requested by Goodnfast

Quote:
We live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and will be travelling to OZ in March - a trip of lifetime for our family. My husband and I have been low carbing since April ... he's lost 35 pounds (with the occasional cheat) while it's been much slower for me (the old bod is clearly saying we've been here before and we're going to wait you out... but... I'm not listening and I'm going to win this one!!!).
I was hoping you might be able to provide some advice for our travel plans because we will be in the Brisbane area during our trip... we have a 10 year old son who is a Steve Irvwin fan and we must, therefore, visit his zoo. The questions I have are the following:
. after visiting Sydney(3-4 days), we want to visit the Australia Zoo, and then Fraser Island (and then on to Lindeman Island for 5-6 days, then Port Douglas (for 3-4 days) and back again to Sydney). I know the distances between cities/locations are quite vast in OZ (after all, we are Cdns!), and we plan to fly between locations, but we are wondering if it would be better to fly into Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast airport given the places we want to visit in this area (i.e., Zoo and Fraser Island)
. where might be a good place to stay for visiting the Zoo (depending on whether we should fly into Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast) (we are prepared to pay for comfortable family friendly accomodations... we are not interested in so-called "budget accomodation"-- been there, done that... you get what you pay for!!!)?
. is there anything you would classify as a "must see" in the Brisbane area other than the zoo?
. when visiting Fraser Island, is it better to stay on the mainland and commute to the Island or to stay on the Island itself?; and is one day enough to see everything (from a ten-year old nature-lover's perspective) or should we stay for two days?
. is there any other advice you might want to give to some Cdns regarding your wonderful country (keeping mind that because of time constraints, we are limited to 2 and 1/2 weeks and can only visit the eastern coast)?

I'm wondering if any other Queenslanders would have suggestions for Goodnfast about her trip?

I personally have never been to Fraser Island, so can't really comment if you should stay for 1 or 2 days. I do know that you can have day trips from Hervey Bay to visit Fraser - perhaps someone else would know how much there is to see?

There's probably nothing "must see" in Brisbane, especially from a 10-year-old's point of view. It's a pretty nice place to live, and I'd love to show it off to you, but it kinda pales when compared with the Barrier Reef.

So I would probably fly to the Sunshine Coast rather than Brisbane for the Steve Irwin Zoo visit. The Sunshine Coast airport is at Maroochydore, which is about ½ hour by car from the Zoo.

Are you planning to hire cars, or use buses/coaches? I would imagine that any travel agent worth his or her salt would be able to organize that for you from your end.

You'll find more info here: http://www.queensland-holidays.com.au/

I hope that helps.

Roz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks so much Rosebud.... this helps alot with our planning.
Regards
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 05:15

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I have a tip fopr the Port Douglas leg..don't go out on Quicksilver for the trip to the GB Reef, but take one of the smaller boats, like Wavelength or Haba Dive...way fewer people, and more personal, also a bit cheaper.

Val
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 05:54
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Val... that was one of the other questions we had -- I really appreciate your advice. I'm finding the travel agents here really quite unhelpful.... they just want to sell "packages" (as that is how they earn a commission, of course) but that is not how we want to our organize our trip as we will be travelling with kids. Now if we can only find some good, convenient places to stay, as March is coming fast and we have to make our bookings. We're getting really excited about this trip!
Regards
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 06:02

Try to find a place that is close to Macrossan Street, rather than at "4 Mile Beach" which is an area 4 miles from the action...there are lots of apartments you can rent.. Here's one in the right location-don't know if this one is too pricey for you. Be sure to go to see the Habitat. A day trip to see the Daintree Rainforest (over the river- not the river cruise!) is worth doing..or else go to Mossman Gorge. I used to live there which is why I know all this..feel free to email me. ALos, I now live in the Sunshine Coast and recommend the Oz Zoo...its great.

Val
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 06:03

#7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 05:45
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Thanks so much Val... that place looks great... just the type of thing we were looking for!! Would you happen to have a recommendation for a place to stay near the Sunshine Coast.... it looks like we'll be spending one night there after visiting the zoo, before we head up to Fraser Island for a few days. During this part of the trip (from Sunshine Coast to Fraser Island to Brisbane), we'll be driving.
Regards
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:24

Stats: 268/240/150 Female 171cm
BF:going/down/slowly
Progress: 24%

Hi,

We have family that live on the Sunshine Coast and visit several times a year.

Australia Zoo is fantastic..it far exceded our expectations and our three year old loved it.

As for accomodation in the area, try Montville or Maleny. They are only about 30 mins north of Aus Zoo and have fantastic arts/crafts shops, cool cafes, etc. Very easy to spend a morning or afternoon just walking up and down the main street of Montville.Great for kids too. We stayed at "Clouds of Montville" and would thoroughly recommend it. But there are heaps of great family friendly places to stay with swimming pools etc.

From there, drive north through Kennilworth to Harvey bay and then across to Fraser Island from there.

Kennilworth is a great place to stop. It's only a tiny town but has a fantastic small cheese factory where you can enjoy a free taste test and stock up on some snacks and even better just over the road is the most amazing kids playground I've ever seen...yes even for a 10 year old (my 40 year husband had a BALL!!!). It really has to be seen to be believed.

Montville to Kennilworth and through Gympie to Fraser is a great drive, very scenic and gets you of the main, boring highway north. You will really get a feel for the area.

As for Fraser, The Kingfisher Bay Resort would probably be your best bet. You can catch a ferry from just near Harvey Bay across to the island. Once there you can hire a 4WD or (my mother-in-law suggests) join in on one of the resorts 4WD bus tours of the island. Heaps to do, you could easily spend 2 days!

Hope this helps!

Kate

Last edited by hkgKate : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 17:25.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 03:36

I agree that the little villeages on the Blackall range ridge would be a nice option as you will be seeing enough beach in PD. The views from up there are gorgeous.
Another fun place is the town of Eumundi which has great markets on Sat. and Wed. mornings. I have stayed at the Kingfisher Lodge, and it is beautiful- a true ecologically conscious resort and from there you can get tours of Fraser Island.

Enjoy your trip!

Val
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 19:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all soooooo much! I can't get this kind of advice from travel agents. If you plan a trip to Toronto (my old home town) or Ottawa, perhaps I could return the favour.
Regards
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:22
Registered Member

BF:
Question Sydney sites?

Hi all: we are getting close to finalizing our plans for our family trip to Australia and was wondering if there might be some advice regarding places to visit/see in Sydney. As our plans stand now (and subject to change until next month), we plan to visit the zoo, the Rocks, do a tour of the harbour and visit the Opera House..... is there anything else that is a "must see".... we will be there for a total of 3 and a half days.
Regards
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 01:25

I'm a Sydney girl born and bred (just happen to live in Hong Kong at the moment, lol)...

Obviously you've done your research on SYD...

Other things of interest...

Definitely have a look at Bridge Climb, where you can climb all or part of the harbour bridge...UNBELIEVABLE experience.

The zoo is fantastic. Catch a ferry from Circular Quay (near The Rocks). Another great ferry trip if the weather is good is across to Manly. It's a 40min ferry trip (shorter by jet cat) but will give you a stunning look at the harbour and back to the city. Manly beach is one of Sydney's best surf beaches and great to spend a few hours. Of course in the Eastern suburbs is Bondi Beach (definitely the most famous) but in my opinion Manly will give you a better look at the locals enjoying their beach!!

If the weather is not so great Darling Harbour is worth a look. Also in the city, it has great restaurants and shops. best of all the Sydney Aquarium is there and well worth a look. There is also an IMAX theatre. You can jump aboard good Habour cruises from here too.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

Kate
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:48
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Kate for the great advice about Sydney. Tell me, would the bridge climb be "over the top" for someone who is afraid of heights.... ahem.... me? Also, would the weather in March be suitable for the beaches..... mind you, in March this Canadian will have just arrived from a country covered in 1-2 metres of snow and 20 below... so I guess anything else would seem down right balmy!!!

Regards
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 01:39

I haven't done the climb myself (VERY afraid of heights!!)...but my Dad who suffers badly from heights also did the climb earlier this year and said it was fantastic. They hook you up with safety ropes and the whole thing was so well controlled he said he wasn't afraid in the slightest.

If you decide to go ahead book an early evening climb so you can watch the sun set and the city light up...but book early as this is the most popular time.

As for the weather...Sydney will by far be your coolest climate in Oz and given that you are spending so much time in Queensland with plenty of swimming I wouldn't be too concerned. Last March was very warm and we certainly swam right uo to the end of the month before we came home to Hong Kong. March in Sydney if you are lucky is mostly warm days and cool nights.

Even if it's too cool to swim, the beaches are generally long, clean and great for a walk.

Kate
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 06:07

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi GoodNFast,

Another Kate here, also born & bred in Sydney.

Kate gave you a great list, but perhaps you'd also like to see Bondi, Sydney's famous beach. And if you are going to be there 3 and a half days, also see if you can go to the Blue Mountains, they are about an hour and a half west of Sydney and have beautiful scenery & rock formations, really lovely.

Also my favourite part of the city (I work there every day ) is the Queen Victoria Building in the heart of the city, which is now a beautiful shopping centre where you can get some lovely Australian goodies, and sit down for a nice cup of tea after a tough day's sight-seeing!!!

If you love Australian opals and pearls, DON'T GO RETAIL. There will be a gazillion jewellers selling opals and pearls everywhere you look, and THEY ALL CHARGE TOO MUCH. There is a place called AUSTRALIAN OPAL CUTTERS (www.australianopalcutters.com) and AUSTRALIAN PEARL DIVERS who sell wholesale direct to the public (they are the one business, but 2 names). Their work is exquisite, too. Write this down... they are at Level 11, 250 Pitt Street, which is not too far away from the Queen Victoria Building. It's right in the heart of the city, and about a 25 minute walk from Circular Quay.

That's about the only really good money-saving tip I can give you though!!!

As far as restaurants go, you might want to try Doyle's famous seafood restaurant near the Rocks (at the overseas passenger terminal), and Tetsuya's is great too.

Have fun!!!

Katt