Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 10:37

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%
Question Should I eat less carbs?

Hi all,

I eat <50 net carbs per day, <20 per meal mostly coming from nuts, beans, and veggies. I have a square or two of 85% dark chocolate sometimes at night. I know I'm in ketosis because the hunger cravings are gone, I have endless energy, I sleep amazing, and my sticks have been pink for 2 weeks. I have a pretty active job and do 1-2hrs light-moderate exercise about half the days I don't work.

However, besides the initial 3lbs of water weight I have not lost anything (I restarted 16 days ago and am not new to LCHF). I usually have a pretty steady loss of ~1.5lbs per week using the same diet & exercise.

Is there any reason I should lower my carb count even though I'm in ketosis? Should I just be more patient? What's been your personal experience?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 16:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

It says in your profile you are a nursing student, so I'm assuming you are young enough that hormones could be the issue? Is your cycle due?

Another thought is that you might be in the infamous 2-3 week stall that hits after water loss in initial entrance to ketpsis, as body refills glycogen stores (even though you are losing fat, bc you are refilling water, you won't see loss).

And yes, 50 net be too many for you... But I would wait another week before changing a thing.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-08-18, 21:40

BF:

Thanks for responding. Yes I'm pretty young so it's not hormones, no it's not my TOM either.

I've been reading about the insulin response and know this occurs when we consume either carbs or proteins to a lesser extent, and also that if the insulin response is low enough fat cannot be stored.

I was assuming that if I'm in ketosis that the insulin response is suppressed enough to where I could eat whatever at night. And since fat could not be stored I would get the benefits of fat burning in the day and the conversion of all this fat into ketones at night. I think I am making too many assumptions and not completely understanding the specific biochemistry of it. If anyone has some good info on this or links I'd love to read it

I also completely realize I may be burning fat but retaining water. Just frustrated I guess that the results I've had in the past aren't what I'm seeing now. Oh well, I suppose that's what I get for straying!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 04:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amy Berger has a good newish summary post of what is means "being in ketosis" for fat loss. http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...ng-ketones.html
It is a recap of her earlier three part post on the topic.
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html
But net down (her caps)
Quote:
YOU CAN BE IN KETOSIS AND NOT LOSE BODY FAT,
AND YOU CAN LOSE BODY FAT WITHOUT BEING IN KETOSIS.

The sticks can be useful for a few reasons she explains, but not telling you if you are burning Body Fat. Personally I would reduce carbs to 20 total grams a day, a level Dr Westman finds that most everyone, no matter their metabolic derangement can lose weight. But I’m older and less active, and as Robin mentioned you may be in that dreaded week 2-3 pause, especially with not many pounds to lose. You also have room between <50 net and <20 total to pick a middle ground. Another idea, to follow a simple list of foods, and nix the beans completely and reduce the nuts, something like this brochure. https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-conte...folder_1803.pdf

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-09-18 at 09:28.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 08:03

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks JEY100 - clears up a lot.

#6   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 17:08

BF:

Thanks JEY100, I've read a lot of Amy Berger's stuff and she's always good about presenting real science in an approachable way. I'm definitely a journal junky and sometimes rely on the theories behind our biochemistry when I really need to listen to the people with experience in the practical application of those principals.

I'm not ready to give up my small portion of beans or hummus quite yet...I'm trying to find something that I can stick with for good and too often I've found <20 carbs/day so restrictive (I don't eat a lot of meat) that I give up within the first two weeks, only to binge on junk and end up worse than I was before. I think I need to realize that this may be slower than I want but if it's something I can stick with then it will still be faster, in the long run, then anything I've ever tried before.

My goal for this week is to keep everything the same (cals & macros) and just finish eating 4 hours before bedtime. I say to myself "well, at least I'm not gorging on high carb food" and give myself permission to late-night-snack on 85% dark chocolate and peanut butter. And then sometimes another serving. Or two. I'm good at justifying things like that
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 18:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

for what its worth, the old DANDR recommends up to 20 carbs for two weeks, eval weight loss and make a desicion from there. He recommends, if there is appreciabl loss, moving up one level for a less restrictive variety of foods.

perhaps two weeks at 20 carbs is worth a try?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 20:55

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

^^

Hi K8

What Ms A said.
That's what I'd try.
Best to you!
jams
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 22:14

BF:

Yeah that may be what I end up doing. I'm just afraid if I go down to <20 I'll end up giving up after a few days like I have in the past. I'm going to give it a little longer and see if I'm just retaining water...

Really hoping that this time I create good lifelong habits not just do what I have to do to lose x pounds
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 07:48

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

I think that you are doing fine for low carb, but I think you should give it a full month before deciding to do any huge adjustments. If you change it up right now by a lot, you will never really know if it was the change or it was just working anyway and you finally lost.

We all know weight loss is not linear - I typically only lose weight one to two weeks out of the month. The other time I stay the same or even a tiny gain if I am retaining water.