Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 14:04

Plan: Mixture of Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 244/226/162 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default How much exercise?

There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people out there, so I am hoping someone can answer this question...

How much exercise is good and when is enough enough? This may sound like a naive question, but I have really got to like exercising now and even though I have only been at it for a month of swimming and then another 2 weeks adding gym with weights and cardio, and today I started doing rebounder for 35 minutes at a good rate. Friday I plan to start using my bicycle regularly. I am feeling so good and want to do more. I am certain that everyone is different and will have different replies, but is there an accepted rule on this?

M
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 22:08

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Rest and recuperation are just as important as exercise and nutrition. If you're achieving your goals, then keep doing what you are doing.

As far as weight training is concerned, you will probably be better off not training to failure and not using techniques like, forced reps, negatives, supersets, etc. etc.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 03:12
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marloe
How much exercise is good and when is enough enough?

So much is good as you can sustain and keep liking over the long term.

My core training is one hour of strength training a week. And you won't believe the results I get with this. I look forward every time to having my workout
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 09:32

BF:
Progress:

I am doing 3 days weights - one of which I do swimming on the same day. Then I do 3 days extra swimming. I must tell you that I am enjoying the weights more than the swimming!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:34

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
So much is good as you can sustain and keep liking over the long term.

Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marloe
I must tell you that I am enjoying the weights more than the swimming!

Enjoying your training is IMO one of the most important variables to long term success.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

watcher16

Could you give some detail on your workout. I have been lifting for about 3 months and go 2x a week for about 40 minutes.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 12:04

BF:
Progress:
Default How much exercise?

I go three times a week and am on a rehabilitation programme right now. It lasts an hour when I do upper body and about 50 minutes when I do lower body. I had a serious motor bike accident some years ago and my knee hip and lower back have been struggling somewhat. Everything is feeling better already and I have been going for just over three weeks. Amazing how quickly I could feel the improvement. Some years ago I used to train in a gym with boxers which I found fascinating. I really dig a punch bag! The trampoline is also one of my favourite things. But those weights - they are my best
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 00:32
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn
watcher16

Could you give some detail on your workout. I have been lifting for about 3 months and go 2x a week for about 40 minutes.

I do once a week weight training:
- 5-8 min warming up
- 20 min stretching, several stretches, but only 1 strech of 20 seconds per type.
- 45 min of High Intensity Training (HIT), consisting of 7 or 8 (mostly compound) free weight exercises. Only one set, 2-6 reps. Each week a rep is added, when at 6, the next week 2 kg is added and start with 2 or 3 reps again. After about 12 weeks I have some 6-8 weeks of 12-20 reps for variation. But I like that much less than the real HIT

For Cardio I normally bike twice a week for about 70 min, I try to pick up tennis for a fourth hour of exercise.

I do some abs when in traffic jam, and try to do some on alternate day's.