Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 01:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Skip breakfast for a healthier brain

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
1 April, 2017

Skip breakfast for a healthier brain

Breakfast is the most dangerous meal of the day and inflicting it on children can be tantamount to abuse, a biochemistry professor has claimed.

Terence Kealey, former vice-chancellor at the University of Buckingham, said that breakfasts increased blood glucose levels, which were already high first thing in the morning. This was hazardous for diabetics, he said, adding that eating early in the morning only encouraged people to consume more throughout the day.

Professor Kealey told the Oxford Literary Festival that the scientific community had “fooled itself” over the benefits of breakfast, adding that almost every study on the meal had been funded by the cereals manufacturers Kellogg’s or General Mills.

Public Health England warned this year that primary school children were consuming almost three teaspoons of sugar, half their recommended daily intake, in the mornings.

Professor Kealey said that eschewing these sugary foods would be healthier and that eating in the middle of the day was more beneficial to brain function.

“You can do an experiment that shows that not only does breakfast not make you learn but that we come to better decisions if we don’t have breakfast,” he said. “Making decisions on an empty stomach seems to be very good for the brain, paradoxically.”

Professor Kealey, whose book, Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal, outlines his theories in clinical biochemistry, added: “I would let the kids decide for themselves if they want breakfast. Lots of kids don’t want to eat breakfast. If you’re worried give them an apple, but the idea that you should give them breakfast is a form of child abuse.”

The professor, who was given a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in 2010 and noticed that his own glucose levels would surge after eating an early breakfast, said that advice about the condition was often “terrible”. He said that, contrary to official advice, diabetics should drink alcohol.

“I was told [as a diabetic] that it was very important to eat breakfast. What I discovered was that breakfast was an extremely dangerous meal, alcohol was extraordinarily good for my blood sugar levels, and eating frequently is a disaster for everyone but also diabetics.

“Alcohol lowers blood glucose levels. What do type 2 diabetics need? To lower their blood glucose levels. Actually we should all be trying to lower blood glucose levels. One of the ways that alcohol benefits society is to lower blood glucose levels,” he added.

“Beer, which is full of starch is not such a good thing, but a nice glass of Sancerre is just the ticket.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...brain-b66zkx2sx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 02:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

This is oblivously werking for my. Me mentel mind has never been mush more sharperer than than now.

I soy NO too breckfast1!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 03:09

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Would this be the traditional April Fools Day news item? (much as I agree)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 03:31

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Would this be the traditional April Fools Day news item? (much as I agree)
Well his book certainly isn't!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breakfast-.../dp/000817234X/
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 04:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

How about eating sugar first thing in the morning is dangerous? or any time of day actually. And what constitutes breakfast? I get up early, around 5:30AM, and have a cup of coffee. I have breakfast around 8AM usually, sometimes a little earlier sometime a little later. I can do this because I don't have to rush off to work or school. I don't eat anything after 6PM so I effectively fast at least 14 hours every day. Works for me.

Seems to me I remember we had a discussion on the forum about this book a while back.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 05:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Ah, I get it, sugar is bad, breakfast is full of sugar, therefore breakfast is bad - don't eat breakfast. Profit!

How about. Sugar is bad, breakfast is full of sugar, remove the sugar, replace with bacon and eggs - eat breakfast. Profit!

Now why would alcohol lower BG? Ah, that's an interesting question, glad you asked. Alcohol acts on the liver to inhibit IDE (insulin-degrading enzyme, which degrades insulin, which lowers insulin level in the blood), therefore insulin level in the blood stays higher, blood glucose drops.

Sounds good, right? Wrong. Instead of hyperglycemia, we end up with hyperinsulinemia, which is immensely more detrimental in the long run. One of the potential effects of hyperinsulinemia is insulin-induced lipohypertrophy - permanent growth of fat tissue. Another potential effect is growth of intra-abdominal fat tissue. Another is growth of interstitial fat tissue. Another is hyperlipidemia. And my favorite - atherosclerosis, up to and beyond total arterial blockage (I bet ya didn't know that one, did ya?). And so forth. Great ideas, all of it. Erm, I'm going to click "Decline".

Here's an alternative. Eat moar fat! Bacon and eggs will do the trick.

The effects. Increased ketogenesis, with several subsequent effects following this one, including for example increased chaperone-mediated autophagy - the recycling of glycated protein, i.e. AGE's such as HbA1c (diabetics should be familiar with those acronyms by now). Increased activation of liver IDE, with primary subsequent effect of lowering insulin level in the blood. Lowering of blood glucose level, through a sequence of liver functions, starting with inhibition of ketogenesis by ketones in the blood in a long feedback loop which starts with increased ketogenesis from dietary fat, and in the middle we have inhibition of glycogenolysis which allows excess glucose to be stored safely as glycogen instead of lingering in the blood. The inhibition of ketogenesis by blood ketones is the primary step in self-regulation of ketogenesis. And so forth. Great ideas, all of it, genuinely this time. Eh, I'm going to click "Agree".

Is it just me or are self-proclaimed experts so out of touch with progress in nutrition and health that they hold on to patently false premises just to sell a stupid book?

Last edited by M Levac : Sat, Apr-01-17 at 05:22.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 05:40

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Ah, I get it, sugar is bad, breakfast is full of sugar, therefore breakfast is bad - don't eat breakfast. Profit!

How about. Sugar is bad, breakfast is full of sugar, remove the sugar, replace with bacon and eggs - eat breakfast. Profit!

Is it just me or are self-proclaimed experts so out of touch with progress in nutrition and health that they hold on to patently false premises just to sell a stupid book?

Not just you. Lots of self-proclaimed experts who seem short on science (and short on logic) but big on self-promotion. Breakfast isn't necessarily bad, sugar is. Simple!

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 05:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I agree and don't agree. There are advantages to a smaller eating window, but whether it should be earlier in the day or later is a bit up in the air. And that sugar thing does matter, a lot of the effect of meal timing will involve 24 hour variations in liver glycogen, on a lower carb diet, there should be lower variations in glycogen over the course of the day. It does sort of make sense for people who do eat carbohydrate to have it before and during the most active part of their day, rather than just before or while being slumped on the couch in the evening. Take in carbohydrate, the body has the choice of glycogen storage, glucose oxidation, and fat synthesis for disposal, inactivity means more will go towards glycogen storage and fat synthesis vs oxidation, it makes sense for this to lead to higher blood glucose, which seems to be what happens when breakfast is skipped instead of dinner on a diet containing significant amounts of carbohydrate. Children being fed big carbohydrate breakfasts and then being forced to be inactive at school in the morning is another type of experiment.

My current pattern is two meals a day, one with most of my protein and veggies for breakfast, and a second meal of homemade icecream for dinner, this seems to suit me pretty well. I'm probably not allowed to call it Bulletproof ice cream unless I use kerrygold butter, a patented mct oil mix and fungus-free cocoa. Similar idea, but it's low insulin food in the evening instead of the morning. I tried all the protein in the evening, with the ice cream as dessert, but it seemed to disrupt my sleep.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 07:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
second meal of homemade icecream for dinner

One of these days I am getting an ice cream machine. Our present fridge is too small. But I am sure I could do some amazing things...

I am not, and have never been, hungry in the morning. The Atkins advice to "only eat when you are hungry" has been working great for me, so I just have tea with coconut oil.

I wind up getting hungry between noon and 2, depending on how busy I am. And I have been known to make that a snack, and have a big dinner.

Also, I am a desk worker: my body might need something different if I was getting up and going out to a physically demanding job.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 08:26

BF:

And it's no surprise breakfast might have a bad rep among the diabetic, when here's what the ADA recommends:

Quote:
Fruit
Fresh fruit — whole fruit like apples, banana, oranges, clementines, pears, nectarines and peaches are easy to grab and go
Frozen fruit — keep a bag or two in your freezer to use in smoothies or to mix with light yogurt
Canned fruit — try individual-sized cups of mandarin oranges, peaches or fruit cocktail (canned in juice, not syrup)
Dried fruit — raisins, dried cranberries, etc. are great in oatmeal or mixed with nuts
Whole Grains
Quick oats — in single-serving packs or a bulk container (quick oats can be ready in less than 2 minutes)
100% whole wheat bread or English muffins
Unsweetened whole grain or bran cereal
- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...h.YGlhaSdq.dpuf

And these are their first two suggestions. Keep reading down, and it gets worse.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 10:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

My new plan? Switching to a glass or two of Sancerre rather than coffee or tea by 11am. Now that's the ticket!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
My new plan? Switching to a glass or two of Sancerre rather than coffee or tea by 11am. Now that's the ticket!

Brunch lives!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 14:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
One of these days I am getting an ice cream machine
I had one but donated it when I found an easier solution - 1/4-1/3 cup of frozen berries whizzed in a miniblender with HWC makes wonderful icecream, one serving at a time, ready in 10-20 seconds. I love my MagicBullet, and one serving at a time is safer than keeping pints of ice cream calling to me from the freezer.

Eating twice a day at ~1 pm and ~6 pm feels natural and works for me after a mug of coffee with ~2 tsp fat when I wake up in the morning.

But on business out of town or when I have a 6 am flight, I often do breakfast and a large late (keto) lunch. I stay at places with a small fridge and microwave and melt butter, stir in eggs & some dried chives & salt, stir, nuke, stir & eat, all in ~5 minutes. I'll have some nuts in the evening if I am hungry.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Apr-01-17 at 14:48.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 14:42

BF:

All right, now I need a mini-blender
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 17:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I just whip heavy cream with an egg yolk, cocoa and sweetener and freeze it.